The MT-07 Forum

Setting Sag

Evill_Ed

• Premium Member

Looking for feedback and advice while I am setting the Sag on my new suspension.  My bike will be used 50/50 for Street / Track Days.

I have a K-Razo RR rear shock and AP Motoarts linkage. I can get the rear set up with 10 mm free Sag from the bike weight and a total of  40 mm with me at full gear weight of 192 lbs. If I go to 30 mm total Sag, I basically lose any free Sag. At 35 mm total Sag , I have approximately 5 mm free Sag.  I like the 35 mm setting.

My forks have Ohlins NIX22 cartridges which came with 9.5 N/mm springs. With no added preload, I can get 18mm of free Sag and a total  Sag of 30mm. I think I'm just on the edge of spring ratings for my weight. I'd like to be able to get 35mm total sag in the front too. I think I need 9.0 N/mm springs, or a combination of 90 and 95 to get 9.25 N/mm Spring Rate 

Thoughts?

Ed

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

Just now, Evill_Ed said:

Looking for feedback and advice while I am setting the Sag on my new suspension.  My bike will be used 50/50 for Street / Track Days.

I have a K-Razo RR rear shock and AP Motoarts linkage. I can get the rear set up with 10 mm free Sag from the bike weight and a total of  40 mm with me at full gear weight of 192 lbs. If I go to 30 mm total Sag, I basically lose any free Sag. At 35 mm total Sag , I have approximately 5 mm free Sag.  I like the 35 mm setting.

My forks have Ohlins NIX22 cartridges which came with 95kg springs. With no added preload, I can get 18mm of free Sag and a total  Sag of 30mm. I think I'm just on the edge of spring ratings for my weight. I'd like to be able to get 35mm total sag in the front too. I think I need 90kg springs, or a combination of 90 and 95 to get 92.5kg 

Thoughts?

Ed

STOP playing with it or it will fall off!

Seriously, you're pretty close where you're at. I'd be inclined to ride it some and see where you're at, I think it's gonna be about right. At least if you ride her some you'll be able to make a more informed decision about what, if any, changes you'd like to make.  

Signed, the poster child for can't leave well enough alone...

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I'm tryin' Moss, but I just can't keep my hands off of it 😁

I do need to ride it to see how it feels. My concern is more about will there be any ill handling (dangerous) effects if the front springs are too stiff. (Flashing back to a bad experience years ago with the wrong fork springs and a bad set up). 

• Premium Member

Re-measured and made some small adjustments tonight, now all seems good. I have 5mm fee sag in the rear and 30 mm static sag for a total sag of 35 mm.

The front has 7 mm installed preload and 0 mm added preload at adjusters (adjusters provide up to 15 mm additional preload). I get 22 mm free sag and 13 mm static sag for a total sag of 35 mm.

so now I'm happy. I'm hoping to get to ride it to this weekend to see how it all feels.

Ed

• 7 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 4/1/2019 at 8:12 PM, Evill_Ed said:

Re-measured and made some small adjustments tonight, now all seems good. I have 5mm fee sag in the rear and 30 mm static sag for a total sag of 35 mm.

The front has 7 mm installed preload and 0 mm added preload at adjusters (adjusters provide up to 15 mm additional preload). I get 22 mm free sag and 13 mm static sag for a total sag of 35 mm.

so now I'm happy. I'm hoping to get to ride it to this weekend to see how it all feels.

Ed

So how did it go? @Evill_Ed and what were your thoughts? Did you make anymore adjustments after riding on the track?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, fzar said:

So how did it go? @Evill_Ed and what were your thoughts? Did you make anymore adjustments after riding on the track?

The sag numbers remain the same. I had Mark from Mark Built (our local tuner) adjust the compression and rebound for me at my first track day and I haven't touched it since. The bike handles really well, stable and predictable. I use a zip tie in the forks to measure travel used. Right now I'm using about 75% on the front forks. I still think I could probably be one stage lighter on the springs in the forks and on the shocks. Plus I'm a good 10-lbs lighter than I was when I ordered my suspension. Or maybe I just need to get faster next season 😁

Ed

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
On 4/1/2019 at 5:23 AM, Evill_Ed said:

My forks have Ohlins NIX22 cartridges which came with 9.5 N/mm springs. With no added preload, I can get 18mm of free Sag and a total  Sag of 30mm. I think I'm just on the edge of spring ratings for my weight. I'd like to be able to get 35mm total sag in the front too. I think I need 9.0 N/mm springs, or a combination of 90 and 95 to get 9.25 N/mm Spring Rate 

Thoughts?

Ed

My suspension guy Brandon Punt of "Trackside Labs" doesn't worry too much about "sag"...... When I asked him "why not"??? He gave me an answer that caught me off guard. Basically he said if you have the correct spring rate, sag is a non-factor. He then followed with a good question for me.... "When's the last time you rode your bike without being on it"? On linear/straight rate springs, I guess that makes sense. He set my bike up for me, and it's amazing!!!! Food for thought-

• Like 2

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, mossrider said:

I'd have another pizza and a beer, your settings will be spot on, lol.

Lost 10  lbs, sheesh.

My wife weights me every night to make sure I didn't gain wight 😝

Besides, losing 10-lbs is like an easy 2-HP increase on an FZ

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, cornerslider said:

My suspension guy Brandon Punt of "Trackside Labs" doesn't worry too much about "sag"...... When I asked him "why not"??? He gave me an answer that caught me off guard. Basically he said if you the correct spring rate, sag is a non-factor. He then followed with a good question for me.... "When's the last time you rode your bike without being on it"? On linear/straight rate springs, I guess that makes sense. He set my bike up for me, and it's amazing!!!! Food for thought-

Funny, my brother in-law is a WERA racer, he told me the same thing. He sets his bike up to handle the way he wants it too and doesn't really care what the actual sag is.