weak points on fz07 2014

Op3nyourmind

Op3nyourmind

Hello! I am new here.
I've decided to buy fz07 2014 with low mileage, around 11k km

What should I check before buy it? 
Maybe some weak points, etc...

TIA

I have a '14.   07  weak points?  Well, hmm. Erm. Now what could there be? Er, summat surely? Umm, can't think of anything weak. Nope. I did try.

There is always: Vin plate geuine, tyres, been dropped, been serviced routinely etc. but you know about all those.

Sorry, not much use. Someone might be along shortly with something.

Just do it! 

• Premium Member
56 minutes ago, Op3nyourmind said:

I read about swing arm rust. Is it so horrible? 

First I've heard of it. Not to say it's not possible though.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Look for any damage that would indicate it's been in a wreck. (leaks, scratches, cracks, repainted, paint damaged, parts missing) Take it for a ride to see how it handles, sometimes a visual inspection doesn't give away that it's been in a wreck. If your gut tells you something is wrong it probably is, trust your instinct. (Don't go too fast on it) Look for anything worn that could bring the price down and high mileage can reduce the price a little also. Are you buying it from a dealership? If so, don't act like you want it real bad or they won't come down on the price. (they might not anyway) Act like you're ready to walk away from it at any minute.

Edit: Weak points ….. it's what's known as a bargain bike so the shocks are probably the weakest point or the one to be most concerned about but it can be corrected. The engine is so torque rich & bad-ass you almost forget about any "weak points". Just get it.

Beemer

• Global Moderator

Hmm, 2015 was the first model year for the FZ-07, although it was released mid 2014.  The MT-07 was available as a 2014 model year, but it was not available in North America.  Something is weird if it is coming back as a 2014.  

Suspension is the weakest point IMO, but it is easily fixed and the stock is tolerable for a while.  An ECU flash is also a great upgrade.  There are a lot of posts here about what people have done to their bikes.  The nice thing is nothing is going to stop you enjoying the bike until you add upgrades, you will just enjoy it more as you make changes. 

Op3nyourmind
50 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

Hmm, 2015 was the first model year for the FZ-07, although it was released mid 2014.  The MT-07 was available as a 2014 model year, but it was not available in North America.  Something is weird if it is coming back as a 2014.  

Suspension is the weakest point IMO, but it is easily fixed and the stock is tolerable for a while.  An ECU flash is also a great upgrade.  There are a lot of posts here about what people have done to their bikes.  The nice thing is nothing is going to stop you enjoying the bike until you add upgrades, you will just enjoy it more as you make changes. 

Nothing weird)) I'm from Korea. And yamaha released their fz07|mt07 here in 2014. 

But thanks for everyone. I'm doing some research now. I found some good bikes. 

One is 2016 with 7k km on odo
And another one is 2014 with 11k km.

8 minutes ago, Op3nyourmind said:

Nothing weird)) I'm from Korea. And yamaha released their fz07|mt07 here in 2014. 

But thanks for everyone. I'm doing some research now. I found some good bikes. 

One is 2016 with 7k km on odo
And another one is 2014 with 11k km.

Neither have a lot of miles on them, if you're unsure of anything just have a bike mechanic take a look at them/ride it for you and GL!

Beemer

3 hours ago, Op3nyourmind said:

I read about swing arm rust. Is it so horrible? 

I have seen 2 mentions of this from people who appeared to take care of their bikes, but the paint on these bikes don't strike me as particularly heavy duty. Anyone rough with a bike can cause scratches that can lead to rust. The only real corrosion issue I know of is one guy ( who really takes care of his stuff) that fought pitting on the fork stanchions pretty much from day one. I believe he was an isolated case and perhaps his forks had been exposed to something corrosive on accident. I ride my bike in all sorts of weather and slop and it doesn't get washed as often as I'd like in the winter months. Zero corrosion issues here. 

The rusty swing arm was a warranty issue for some who got replacements. It seems to be rare.

Just do it! 

Look beneath the chain guard/guide at the swingarm.
This rubber thing:

Kur18PSl.jpg

If theres some blank metal and rust you can say "oooh my good it is full of rust. I've never expected this." 

And then you try to get the thing some bucks cheaper. Put some grease between the rubber and the metal an drive it for 20 years, then give it a new powder coating or else ;) 

Archived