The MT-07 Forum

UV Protection

Stephenms

So I've been getting increasingly concerned with fading of the black plastic pieces on these bikes. Does anyone use anything specific or is it the type of plastic that doesn't tend to fade? I've heard of VPR by Chemical Guys and it has decent reviews on UV protection yet a lot of users only use the product for tires. I plan on using some Meguires Hybrid Ceramic Wax the next time I wash but only for the painted surfaces.

Am I worrying about nothing on these plastics? Has anyone noticed fading? I notice it on the control switches but that's it.

Be careful how you do this but an old trick to get the worst sun faded plastic back to like new is put a small amount of brake fluid on a soft cloth and wipe the plastic down. Instant new. It dissolves that whitish grey top layer. 

None of the plastics are currently faded, I'm seeing if there's a product that will help protect the plastics from fading. At this point I'll give the VRP a try and let you guys know.

VRP is good stuff - smells good too. It does get a bit slick after you apply it though, just something you may want to watch out for.

I use this 303 (30307) UV Protectant Spray for Vinyl, Plastic, Rubber, Fiberglass, Leather   works great. Not sticky

Lava Red 5.jpg

I tested the VRP on a small spot(right where my right knee sits) and it's not as slippery as you'd think it would be. I did apply, let stand for two minutes, wipe excess, and then left it alone until the next day. No residue and just a "dull wet" look but not slippery. I'm noticing my plastics turning a whitish/grey color where my knees sit and this VRP stuff really cleared it up.

Archived