The MT-07 Forum

Speedometer not showing correct speed

eVelBandito

eVelBandito

Hey guys so I have a 2017 fz07 with ABS and I recently noticed that my speedometer is not showing the correct speed. I was riding with my buddies on the freeway and noticed my speedometer only showed that I was riding at about 40 mph. That didn't seem correct so I asked my buddies over the Intercoms "how fast does your speedometer show we are going." They both said we were doing at least 80. So I just need to know either how do I correct the gnarly inaccurate speed read. Would this have to do with my ABS sensors on my wheels or is there a separate speed sensor on the bike. Please help me out any and all advise would help me out very much. Also would a speedo healer do me any good??

• Global Moderator

Have you dropped the bike? 

Changed tires/wheels? 

I ask, because that's a heavy issue and as much as I hate them, the dealer "might" warranty it as a safety issue

The speed for the abs models is picked off the rings on the wheels, for the non-abs it was calculated off the output shaft

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

eVelBandito

I did get new wheels but I got OEM fz07 rims so I didn't think it would be a problem. Could a speedo healer help me out or is that not the fix

NRWhiteKnight
1 hour ago, shinyribs said:

Have you possibly changed the gauge over to kilometers from miles? It's easy to do on accident. 

^^^^^ This ^^^^^. I have done this on my MT-07 just moving from screen to screen on the cluster. I learned that if I try to reset the trip meter after the mileage stops flashing, it can change from miles to Kilometers.

2018 MT-07 - Mods: Shorty Levers, Radiator Guard, Puig Sport Windscreen,Air box  Snorkel Removed.

A speed of 80mph would show 130kph from  my calculation.

40mph is half of 80 so is that a clue? Half the pulses or summat?

Just do it! 

eVelBandito

I checked definitely still in MPH. I was wondering is there any way to kinda reset the abs/speed sensors??

NRWhiteKnight
12 hours ago, robbo10 said:

A speed of 80mph would show 130kph from  my calculation.

40mph is half of 80 so is that a clue? Half the pulses or summat?

DOH! I hate it when I am backwards. lol. Thanks for the correction. :)

Anyway, since you checked and you are still on mph, could be that the sensor is dirty, in which case you could remove it and clean it, or it could have gone bad. A speed sensor from Yamaha Parts House is about $63.00. You could also check the connector at the sensor to see if there are any broken wires, however unlikely it may be. From the diagram it looks like the sensor is under the tank and cannot tell what it is reading from, but you could also remove is to see if there is anything it might have picked up that could be blocking the pickup.

2018 MT-07 - Mods: Shorty Levers, Radiator Guard, Puig Sport Windscreen,Air box  Snorkel Removed.

17 hours ago, eVelBandito said:

I checked definitely still in MPH. I was wondering is there any way to kinda reset the abs/speed sensors??

I don't know about that, but a dealership should be able to answer that for you. Cleaning the sensors is worth a shot ( it's free ), but dirty sensors typically don't read at all or give jumpy readings. But electronics are fiddly things,so it's entirely possible that is your issue. 

I wouldn't spend on a SpeedoHealer, personally. I use on to correct for my different sprockets and to correct the factory error, but the amount of difference you are seeing is too much to bandaid with a SpeedoHealer. I assume you are out of warranty, but I'd still talk to a dealership to see if they can give you any insight. Keep us in the loop on what you find out, and good luck!

• Global Moderator

The wheel sensors for the ABS system are separate from the speedometer.  That sensor is on the engine.  Cleaning it will hopefully correct the issue.

eVelBandito

I'll give it a try this weekend. Where exactly is the sensor located? Would I have to remove gas tank??

This may help.

Some more talk here. Seems the harness connnector is right between the starter and the shock mount. Lots of good pics in this thread.

eVelBandito

Learned that in order to get to the sensor I would have to remove the airbox but in order to remove the air box I would have to remove the engine completely. Am I wrong is there another way?

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, eVelBandito said:

Learned that in order to get to the sensor I would have to remove the airbox but in order to remove the air box I would have to remove the engine completely. Am I wrong is there another way? 

Removing the air box shouldn't require dropping the engine. It's a tight fit but it's doable.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I'm with DewMan. No need to drop the engine to pull the airbox, just patience. For full transparency, I have never pulled the airbox, but I've read on here a few times where guys pulled the airbox without breaking the bike down. 

eVelBandito

Thank you guys for the quick responses. So if the airbox can be removed I'll give that a try again tomorrow! I have is that I have ridden the bike with the messed up speedo reading and the speed readings seem pretty consistent if I travel at about 80 my speedo is reading about 40 and same goes for lower speeds about half the actual speed. Now with that being said I talked to a buddy who rides a ktm 450 ( I understand completely different machine) but he was explaining to me that he had a problem with his speedometer and that he just had to reset/ reprogram the speedo reading. Any idea as to what I'm talking about or is that crazy? maybe it's just my cluster, i had to replace my cluster is there a way to reprogram the cluster. I'm just trying to pinpoint something that could cause this issue. Everything works on my cluster just not the speed

Archived