SkH

Your thoughts on air cooled modern bikes.

SkH

Specifics and to the point: 

R Nine T Pure.  No commuting.  Just joy-rides in general.  WA State... no big deal?

Longs:

Wife wants to ditch her R3 for a classic bike- but not an actual classic bike.  She rides my FZ07 from time to time so she is used to the stronger power band.  Honestly she should just get an SR400 but she really doesn't like the idea of kick starting.

So now it is down to 2 bikes.  Triumph Street Twin.  Or R Nine T Pure.  They both will have identical seat heights (30 inches with slim seat accessory on R Nine T).  They both weigh around the same 480 range wet.  They are both priced similarly.  But the Triumph is liquid while the R Nine T is air cooled.

Riding together, only once have we been in a traffic standstill in 4 years.

Thoughts on air cooled in this situation?  Which bike would you get?   Pics for those visual people:

5c766010f332ea1fb107eb6d.jpg

2000000014.jpg

MT27

Lot's of those BMW's running around in Fl and TX with no problems.

gregjet

Nothing wrong with air cooling par see . Take a look at the GS500 Suzi. Sufficent power to tour ( one up really) and big reliability ( leaky carb notwithstanding, but that's nothing to do with cooling. Oh and it really is partially oil cooled). Been around for long enough that any decent manufacturer has developed it to a pretty good point BUT!

Good liquid cooling is betterer. For a bunch of reasons amongst which are tighter tolerences and better fuel economy. True water cooling is an extra thing to go wrong , but cars have been doing it for a very long time and modern "water" cooling is pretty reliable ( OK plastic radiators really only have a limited lifespan).

• Like 1

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

norcal616

Modern day Fuel Injection kickstart, is a breeze... Even in the deal of winter, 3-4 slow kicks to "prime system"(it's what I call it), then a good ole kick will fire it up...

Air cooled= less stuff to break down

BUT Triumph has always had problems with "service work/warranty work"(ridiculous downtimes/hassle) in my neck of the woods... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

sorkyah

I would choose the triumph, but only because I haven't ridden the r9 

Would you be trading in the R3 @SkH

I'm looking for one for the GF

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Zephyr

If I had the $, availability, and service tech then I would have gotten the R9T over the FZ07.  I do however love the FZ07 and do not plan on getting rid of it... ever?  But I adore the looks of the R9T and reviews that I trust indicate that it's a great bike.  Triumph always seemed low on power/weight ratio to me, but comfy for casual cruising.  I don't think that air cooled would be an issue in WA.

Edited by Zephyr

Beemer

Not saying this is a great bike, don't know much about it but it may be just what you're looking for. It's a standard, which she wants, it's liquid cooled which is nice, it has more power than the 300, it has a 30" seat height which she would like, it is styled a little like our beloved FZ/MT-07 so you two would match more which = cuter, lol! It's way cheaper than the Triumph or the BMW and *lighter, plus, she doesn't have to kick start it. What I also like is the fact that it's a parallel-twin. Edit: just noticed, it has a 4.5 gallon tank which is very nice!

POWERSPORTS.HONDA.COM

2019 CB500F

• Like 1

zooman72

@gregjet summed it up best - slight nod to the Triumph for that, especially if your wife is not looking for a lot more HP (BMW makes 110hp/ 86lb vs. Triumph's 64hp/ 59lb)

Personally, I love Triumphs (Dad had an old Bonneville when I was a wee lad), and I am currently lusting over the new 1200cc Speed Twin (a.k.a Thruxton w/ better ergos), along with the Indian FTR 1200 and Kawasaki z900rs (and a few others).  However, if I was going to grab a BMW, it would be the R9T Pure (not a fan of wire wheels). 

I think with the two bikes you are choosing from, that the Triumph may have slightly better ergos, although your wife would have to ride both to be sure.  Also, with females typically having smaller hands, the Triumph's "torque-assist" clutch might be quite useful too.  The Brembo front brakes, cartridge front forks (non-adjustable) and dual riding modes might be noticeable and appreciated too.

@Beemers's suggestion of the Honda CB500F is actually pretty good (very nice bike, and Honda's are fantastically reliable, although it is only available in red), but doesn't meet the "modern classic" styling requirement - although as I get older and my beat-up hands/ fingers weaker, slipper-assist clutches (which the Honda has) become sweeter.  The new instrument display is much better this year too.

Beemer
6 hours ago, robbo10 said:

My Honda Rebel has the same 500 engine. But hey we've drifted way from the two bikes of the original choice

Oh yeah, I forgot about those strict forum rules that state you aren't allowed to drift, make suggestions or play moderator. I'm really glad I didn't drift and talk about a GS500.

kylerhsm

Both lovely bikes and I'd own either of them if I had a bit more cash (or sold one of my other bikes).

However I think it's really doing to come down to what your lady feels the most comfortable on. The Street Twin is a smaller bike overall, and no doubt would be much smoother to ride. So if she's after an easy going classic then you can't go wrong.

Please don't get an SR400 though. Absolutely gutless... and boring... and this is coming from someone who loves their old school bikes.