The MT-07 Forum

MotoAmerica Twins Cup

mossrider

Well, next weekend is opener! There are currently 39 Twins Cup entrants for the opening round at Road Atlanta! Apparently last year went well and this year the class is exploding. Looking forward to representing at a couple of rounds again this year!

BJN95270_1553944087458_resized.thumb.JPG.a027373507cc5f0dcfb8eb25bf4bdcde.JPG

Our MA # is 167

My CRA # is 155

Edited by mossrider
  • Like 5

• Premium Member

Yamaha needs to add a YZF-R7 to their stable.  A mid displacement twin is the best of both worlds and most miss out on all the fun to be had with a 700cc twin powerplant.  

• Like 2

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

I don't follow racing so forgive me for what may seem to some like a dumb question but has Yamaha made a factory FZ/MT07 "R" style super bike or is it just regular Joes like us that are building them in their own garages? I would think if Yamaha is racing with one they would eventually make a street friendly version of it at some point. That would be awesome, I imagine. So what's up with that?

Beemer

1 hour ago, Beemer said:

I don't follow racing so forgive me for what may seem to some like a dumb question but has Yamaha made a factory FZ/MT07 "R" style super bike or is it just regular Joes like us that are building them in their own garages? I would think if Yamaha is racing with one they would eventually make a street friendly version of it at some point. That would be awesome, I imagine. So what's up with that?

No real "R" version. Just blokes like us converting standard street bikes like our MT07's and Suzuki SV650's into race bikes. That's what make this class so fun. It's one of the most popular classes in club racing and fast becoming a favorite in pro racing as well. Lightweight twins classes in one form or another exist all around the world. One reason it's so popular is cost. It's one of the cheaper classes to race for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the initial cost if the bike. An R1 is much more expensive to buy, maintain, race, fix or repair and can use 3-5 sets of tires/race weekend. Our bikes use 1 set of tires/weekend or instance.

😀

Edited by mossrider
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, mossrider said:

No real "R" version. Just blokes like us converting standard street bikes like our MT07's and Suzuki SV650's into race bikes. That's what make this class so fun. It's one of the most popular classes in club racing and fast becoming a favorite in pro racing as well. Lightweight twins classes in one form or another exist all around the world. One reason it's so popular is cost. It's one of the cheaper classes to race for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the initial cost if the bike. An R1 is much more expensive to buy, maintain, race, fix or repair and can use 3-5 sets of tires/race weekend. Our bikes use 1 set of tires/weekend or instance.

😀

I see, thanks for that! Since you mentioned it's fast becoming popular in pro racing as well I wonder if Yamaha will get the itch to jump on that train.

Beemer

4 minutes ago, Beemer said:

I see, thanks for that! Since you mentioned it's fast becoming popular in pro racing as well I wonder if Yamaha will get the itch to jump on that train.

We can hope but I seriously doubt it. Yamaha already has a comprehensive line of sport bikes, in the US the R3, R6 and a couple variations of the R1 comprise this line. Several other sizes also exist in some foreign markets in 125cc and 250cc. The FZ/MT07 (and it's variants) is Yamaha's best seller world wide right now so they won't mess with that success. Like the cafe racer idea from the other thread, it's fun to build your own race bike from something that was never intended to be and figure out how to make it work. I may not go from cafe to cafe but it's the same idea.

😎

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, mossrider said:

We can hope but I seriously doubt it. Yamaha already has a comprehensive line of sport bikes, in the US the R3, R6 and a couple variations of the R1 comprise this line. Several other sizes also exist in some foreign markets in 125cc and 250cc. The FZ/MT07 (and it's variants) is Yamaha's best seller world wide right now so they won't mess with that success. Like the cafe racer idea from the other thread, it's fun to build your own race bike from something that was never intended to be and figure out how to make it work. I may not go from cafe to cafe but it's the same idea.

😎

Well said. I would like to add, that an issue with this is also in europe they do have the lightweight twins racing which is also very popular but it is strictly  650 c.c displacement. Why, I don't actually know as it's frustrating to me that they can't have some restrictors or weight handicaps to allow all  in the same category to race. I imagine it's the same argument Kramer owner's have while Ducati's can be allowed by the sanctioning bodies in MA twins-cup. I'm not saying anyone is wrong on either side of the pond, just that it frustrates me, especially as kawasaki are cleaning up abroad with their 650 ninja on its own and also being the powerplant of the Paton.

RoadRaceAB3Z7603.jpg
IMAGES.APP.GOO.GL

Found on Google from paton.it

It's also a cool looking retro-cafe racer racebike.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, fzar said:

Well said. I would like to add, that an issue with this is also in europe they do have the lightweight twins racing which is also very popular but it is strictly  650 c.c displacement. Why, I don't actually know as it's frustrating to me that they can't have some restrictors or weight handicaps to allow all  in the same category to race. I imagine it's the same argument Kramer owner's have while Ducati's can be allowed by the sanctioning bodies in MA twins-cup. I'm not saying anyone is wrong on either side of the pond, just that it frustrates me, especially as kawasaki are cleaning up abroad with their 650 ninja on its own and also being the powerplant of the Paton.

RoadRaceAB3Z7603.jpg
IMAGES.APP.GOO.GL

Found on Google from paton.it

It's also a cool looking retro-cafe racer racebike.

Yah Kawasaki does very well at the TT, but Kawasaki 650 twins are rare in the U.S.

I hate the displacement wars that occur with some class of bikes.  Why did Yamaha have to go 689cc, just keep at 650cc.  And now Kawasaki has a 399cc in the "300" class.  So what next, Yamaha goes with a 420cc like they did with their 320cc.... 

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• 3 months later...

Moto America at Laguna Seca this weekend, the roster for the Twins cup with a strong showing of FZ's.  Rode Laguna several weeks ago for the 1st  time, fun track with a lot of elevation change and will be back. Usually run at Sonoma or TH.

437489540_MotoamericaTwinsgroup-LotsofFZs.thumb.jpg.4a4f2f345caa0f0ad7df52a9ba77d8ef.jpg1160756413_2GBMD5034s.thumb.JPG.0535fd94966d7f12615d41b0ddbf4505.JPG

Edited by elmo
  • Like 3