The MT-07 Forum

Roadside Puncture Repair

bornagainbiker

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

OK, I'll start off with a couple of handy little dandys for roadside puncture repair:

0000-Stop---Go-Mini-Air-Compressor---.jp
FORTNINE.CA

Purchase the Stop & Go Portable Mini Air Compressor at Canada's Motorcycle. Free shipping and Easy returns.

tubeless-t-handle-tire-repair-kit-1020.j
FORTNINE.CA

FortNine is your source for Motorcycle, Dirt Bike, Snowmobile and ATV apparel, accessories, and parts. Everyday savings and free shipping in Canada.

Knock on wood, I haven't had to use these yet, but I always carry them with me on rides--great peace of mind.  Just an FYI: these tools haven't made me curse a lot.........so far.

• Like 1

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, bornagainbiker said:

OK, I'll start off with a couple of handy little dandys for roadside puncture repair:

0000-Stop---Go-Mini-Air-Compressor---.jp
FORTNINE.CA

Purchase the Stop & Go Portable Mini Air Compressor at Canada's Motorcycle. Free shipping and Easy returns.

tubeless-t-handle-tire-repair-kit-1020.j
FORTNINE.CA

FortNine is your source for Motorcycle, Dirt Bike, Snowmobile and ATV apparel, accessories, and parts. Everyday savings and free shipping in Canada.

Knock on wood, I haven't had to use these yet, but I always carry them with me on rides--great peace of mind.  Just an FYI: these tools haven't made me curse a lot.........so far.

Does the compressor only work via battery hookup? It doesn't have a built in rechargeable battery I'm assuming?

The never ending battle of finding something compact but powerful.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
7 hours ago, DewMan said:

Does the compressor only work via battery hookup? It doesn't have a built in rechargeable battery I'm assuming?

The never ending battle of finding something compact but powerful.

Yes, it hooks up to your battery and is very compact.  However, I can't say how long it takes to inflate a tire because, luckily, I haven't had to use it yet.  I should take it out for a test run, just to see how long it does take to inflate a flat tire.

• Thanks 1

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

FZ07R WaNaB

Here's my version...

Two links with the first for the kit which fits perfectly in the space under the rear seat/pillion. This is awesome because you always have a plug kit with inflators with you.

The second link is for a video of how to use it.

https://www.amazon.com/Stop-Go-1001-Pocket-Plugger/dp/B001BBSD9C/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=pocket+tire+plugger+plugs+co2+inflation&qid=1553949615&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NfuBFNaA1U

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

Here's my version...

Two links with the first for the kit which fits perfectly in the space under the rear seat/pillion. This is awesome because you always have a plug kit with inflators with you.

The second link is for a video of how to use it.

https://www.amazon.com/Stop-Go-1001-Pocket-Plugger/dp/B001BBSD9C/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=pocket+tire+plugger+plugs+co2+inflation&qid=1553949615&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NfuBFNaA1U

I've read good things about the stop & Go kits.

The video didn't show using the CO2 to fill the tire. Any idea how many of the CO2 carts it would take to fill a rear tire to a rideable PSI? Would be nice if they were refillable at home with your air compressor.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

1 hour ago, DewMan said:

I've read good things about the stop & Go kits.

The video didn't show using the CO2 to fill the tire. Any idea how many of the CO2 carts it would take to fill a rear tire to a rideable PSI? Would be nice if they were refillable at home with your air compressor.

I've asked myself this very question when I bought a similar kit and the answer I found was 4-5 psi per C02 cartridge.  

Here is a link to a video of someone testing this method on a motorcycle tire.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, NiteRyder said:

I've asked myself this very question when I bought a similar kit and the answer I found was 4-5 psi per C02 cartridge.  

Here is a link to a video of someone testing this method on a motorcycle tire.

Is there such a thing as a refillable portable tank small enough to take along with enough PSI to fill a tire? I'm thinking a small 1ltr sized canister pressured to 90-120 PSI would suffice without taking up much room on a bike with some storage.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

3 minutes ago, DewMan said:

Is there such a thing as a refillable portable tank small enough to take along with enough PSI to fill a tire? I'm thinking a small 1ltr sized canister pressured to 90-120 PSI would suffice without taking up much room on a bike with some storage.

The ones i've seen aren't really 'portable' enough for motorcycle riding. I keep about (8) C02 cartridges along with a tire puncture kit in my tool pouch when I ride and I feel comfortable knowing it should do the job when the unfortunate happens.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, NiteRyder said:

The ones i've seen aren't really 'portable' enough for motorcycle riding. I keep about (8) C02 cartridges along with a tire puncture kit in my tool pouch when I ride and I feel comfortable knowing it should do the job when the unfortunate happens. 

Each subsequent CO2 canister puts less and less air into it considering the equalization of pressure of each is higher as you go.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, NiteRyder said:

@DewMan, After a little research(I love google), I came across this......

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/tippmann-paintball-20-ozco2-tank-16jpau20zlmtnkxxxptb/16jpau20zlmtnkxxxptb

I think with the right adapter this might be the answer you(we've) been looking for.

I should have thought of that.... considering the popularity of paintball. 😁

Good idea. I'll look into that. I've got hard cases on my bike so I can definitely carry one.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

FZ07R WaNaB
11 minutes ago, NiteRyder said:

From what I have read, the 4 CO2 canisters will easily get you to a gas station to top off the tire. What's great about that plug kit is that with it stored under the rear seat, you don't run the risk of that surprise flat when you were just planning on going a short trip, and didn't want to screw around with bringing your regular gear - you all know we sometimes just hop on the bike and go 😁 Plus there is enough room in there for the Stop and Go kit and the Urban disk lock (great lock!)

https://www.amazon.com/Urban-UR9Z-motorcycle-Bike-Alarm/dp/B0728GTHY1/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=urban+disc+lock&qid=1553990061&s=gateway&sr=8-2

I carry C02 cartridges and rope style plugs. Like Dewman and Wanab said, each cartridge is progressively less effective, but you can ride easy to find more air. I have 8 cartridges, a strip of plugs, some rubber cement, a razor knife and a small pair of needle nose pliers under the seat with room to spare. I usually keep 4 or more RokStraps under the seat along with a waterproof document container and  phone mount/pouch with charging cable under the seat as well. I was gonna buy one of the StopnGo kits, but the whole setup was kinda bulky and couldn't find a way to fit it all under the seat. Sticky strip plugs are old school, but proven. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

For those who've used the stop & go mushroom style plugs.
Any type of puncture they won't work on that the Older string type will work? Or Vice-versa?

I've heard that the mushrooms don't work well on a hole that's diagonally through the tire instead of straight through?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Here’s my setup: Yamalube koozie holding it all together (CRUCIAL), 4 Co2 16's and 1 in the canister,knife,needle nose,reemer,rope plugs are underneath, gun-lock for my helmet, pig-tail for battery float charger. Thats the way I found to get what I needed in there.

DF3B5705-975B-4BAD-89D8-8348536F8E2B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

In lieu of this thread I'd bought this awhile back with some extra cartridges to ensure I get enough air pressure to ride on. I carry the kit under my pillion and the extra cartridges in my tank bag. I must say, I hope I never get a diagonal hole in my tire because I think DewMan has a good point about the plugs in this kit maybe not being able to get flush to the inside of the tire and having a seal problem. I suppose I should get some of the old style plugs as well for good measure.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BBSD9C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076YVLBHW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Beemer