The MT-07 Forum

Project FZ-07R/T

Evill_Ed

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, fzar said:

How do they do on the street? and do you ever run them in the wet? I'm looking at Q3+, mostly street with an odd track-day,or Q4+'s.

I hear Ya, I just heard of some people putting 190's on there to heighten the profile by squeezing wider tire lip into a narrower wheel bead. (I heard) is key, I've never seen it with my own eye's.

They are good on the street and in the wet. The Q3+ would be a good choice for street and track days. 

I have the rear much higher than stock with my new shock and linkage, I need to get some track time to see how these change the bike's feel and handling. 

Ed

• Thanks 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Stock Exhaust

Modified - This is with the muffler cut open at the rear chamber and the last section of internal piping cut away. Really no difference in sound, slightly deeper. 

537536645_04_08.019068.thumb.JPG.21a854958ca55a9b22e2c5f00b8beafe.JPG

Modified 2 - Removed the outer exhaust pipe. This sound good. Deep Idle and sounds good when revved. I need to get better video / audio. I plan to add a 1-3/4 pipe to the original exit.

681988400_May10th2019141.thumb.JPG.133b7559fffb10b1b9e0636b184e02a9.JPG419008828_May10th2019139.thumb.JPG.cc42e9f2b701bacd39c6235eb2875f87.JPG

Conclusion is that the small diameter exhaust pipe restricts the most sound. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 3/29/2019 at 2:44 PM, Evill_Ed said:

Woodcraft clip-ons 1.5-in drop in down position. Careful cable rerouting to prevent kinking and binding. Also installed Spiegler Braided Brake Lines.

03.27.2019 006.JPG

I see you went with the 2 seperate brake lines from the MC over the OEM pattern, was there a reason you did this? I mean is there an advantage to what your running over the OEM setup? I'm asking as I got Galfer SS lines with OEM routing, and I might be able to change that order if necessary. @Evill_Ed BTW there not installed.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, fzar said:

I see you went with the 2 seperate brake lines from the MC over the OEM pattern, was there a reason you did this? I mean is there an advantage to what your running over the OEM setup?

Honestly, that was the kit that was available when I ordered them. I’ve read comments about easier bleeding and better feel with the individual lines as opposed to the crossover style, but I doubt there is any difference.

The single with the crossover would have been easier to install since its tight clearances by the headlight cowl. I think performance and feel would be the same. 

Personal preference, choose the style you like better.

Regards,

Ed

• Thanks 1

longrider1951
On 3/29/2019 at 11:37 PM, fzar said:

As far as I know, yes.(as far as I know) I’ll let the more experienced with this dog-bone answer to confirm.

Yes, Shorter dogbones=raised seat height. Kind of counter intuitive.

• 1 month later...
WankyMcTugger

Why did you go with a K-Tech rear rather than the Ohlins option? I don't know enough about suspension, so if the benefit is obvious, please forgive the stupid question.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, WankyMcTugger said:

Why did you go with a K-Tech rear rather than the Ohlins option? I don't know enough about suspension, so if the benefit is obvious, please forgive the stupid question.

The Ohlins did not have compression damping adjustment, just rebound and pre-load. The Ohlins is a fine street shock. For the track I wanted more adjust-ability so I went with the K-Tech

ed

• Like 1

• Premium Member
cornerslider

Go K-Tech for track use (I got the Ohlins). The Ohins STX46 is a really nice street shock. I was very happy with it at first. After I started getting "faster", I outgrew the limitations of the Ohlins shock. That being said. If I was upgrading suspension for street use, I'd say got Ohlins. You could save a few hundred bucks, and put towards better tires, or whatever-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member

Did my 2nd Track Day on my modified FZ on Sunday. I absolutely love the transformation. My bike feels so sport like and stable. Made a new friend with another FZ-07 owner, we rode together all day and had a great time. He’s not on the forum, so I encouraged him to come joins us  

Ed

B0F2022F-6A17-4376-8911-42DCF7A7C6E3.thumb.jpeg.f4db91f1b2a86cf3100704fcd8af433d.jpeg

• Like 5

• Premium Member

Also finished my stock exhaust modification 

Ed

From this

EDEB4053-0FBB-45E4-962E-396A23148198.thumb.jpeg.f7c4fb74bfbdc22be31fd0681a454f02.jpeg

To this

362BF2FB-17FD-47F6-8F13-D7CC8564723E.thumb.jpeg.3aed478129a315c516a2d49ff932957e.jpeg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
cleverriver

@Evill_Ed you should come out to the next round of the CCS races at NJMP on the 8/31 weekend. Loads of super fast guys doing some real racing, and a hand full of buit FZ's out there as well

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, cleverriver said:

@Evill_Ed you should come out to the next round of the CCS races at NJMP on the 8/31 weekend. Loads of super fast guys doing some real racing, and a hand full of buit FZ's out there as well

Thanks, I’ll try to check that out.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

How does it handle on the street? with it being a R/T build. I mean how much do you have to dial in or out suspension wise to get it to where it's a happy medium, or do you just leave her right where she is? @Evill_Ed

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, fzar said:

How does it handle on the street? with it being a R/T build. I mean how much do you have to dial in or out suspension wise to get it to where it's a happy medium, or do you just leave her right where she is? @Evill_Ed

The suspension, clip ons and rear sets are definitely geared more towards the track, its not as comfortable on the street as it used to be, but it’s not terrible. On the street I soften up the compression several clicks front and rear and that make it softer for street riding. My spring rates are higher than I would have picked for street only. If I were to do more street riding, I would go down one step on the springs. I still may do that since I now weigh less then I did when I built it over the winter. But It handles great on the track or on the street. 

Ed

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
Just now, Evill_Ed said:

The suspension, clip ons and rear sets are definitely geared more towards the track, its not as comfortable on the street as it used to be, but it’s not terrible. On the street I soften up the compression several clicks front and rear and that make it softer for street riding. My spring rates are higher than I would have picked for street only. If I were to do more street riding, I would go down one step on the springs. I still may do that since I now weigh less then I did when I built it over the winter. But It handles great on the track or on the street. 

Ed

Thanks for the response, I was asking because before I go down a rabbit hole , I had to have some sort of an understanding as to the effect and ease of dialing in/out. The real concern for me is: I will be tracking the bike, but most of my riding will be street, for now, but, my street riding consists of really good twisty canyon and mountain roads, anything I do that I would consider around town/street is just a breather/liaison to the next stretch of fun. If I tour on it I take your point of the front being completely reversible if need be,and the OEM bars and pegs can be swapped out pretty easily. I have woodcraft 1" plate in the down position and I intend on getting rearsets also. Thanks, and I'm glad your enjoying your time on the track.

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, fzar said:

Thanks for the response, I was asking because before I go down a rabbit hole , I had to have some sort of an understanding as to the effect and ease of dialing in/out. The real concern for me is: I will be tracking the bike, but most of my riding will be street, for now, but, my street riding consists of really good twisty canyon and mountain roads, anything I do that I would consider around town/street is just a breather/liaison to the next stretch of fun. If I tour on it I take your point of the front being completely reversible if need be,and the OEM bars and pegs can be swapped out pretty easily. I have woodcraft 1" plate in the down position and I intend on getting rearsets also. Thanks, and I'm glad your enjoying your time on the track.

Tuning the suspension between street and track is easy now that it’s set up. I leave the sag settings alone. I leave the rebound alone too. I just count the clicks out that I add to the compression, typically 6 clicks softer for the street. 

Thats what great about adjustable suspension, you can change it to feel the way you want.

I think for your application the Ohlins front and rear would be a good set up. The components are way better performing than stock and they’re adjustable. There is plenty of adjustment for both street and track. 

Ed

• Premium Member
On 7/22/2019 at 1:08 AM, cleverriver said:

I just signed up for Monday 08/12 on Lightning with The Riders Club. 

Anyone else gonna be there?

cleverriver
9 hours ago, Evill_Ed said:

I just signed up for Monday 08/12 on Lightning with The Riders Club. 

Anyone else gonna be there?

not me, but i have heard a lot of good things about the riders club

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, cleverriver said:

not me, but i have heard a lot of good things about the riders club

That’s good to hear, this is my first time riding with them.

• Premium Member
On 8/8/2019 at 9:46 PM, Evill_Ed said:

That’s good to hear, this is my first time riding with them.

Ran my first track day with The Riders Club on Monday. Had another Great Day! The Riders Club ran a well organized and safe event. It was a Monday with limited attendees. This was was nice because there were not a lot of bikes on the track and it allowed me to focus more on my riding. I finally moved up to the Intermediate Group. I also dragged a knee for the first time. I was following an instructor at a quicker pace the first time it happened, I didn't realize what it was a first, it certainly surprised me 😮.  But I was dragging my right knee regularly through a few turns for the rest of the day. Gotta get the left down now 😉.

The more I ride my modified FZ-07, the more I love it. It handles so well now. I received a few positive comments on my build and how well it performed on the track. 

It was a Great Day.

Ed2131680657_NJMP08_12.2019-1crop.thumb.jpg.b40ba5dd2f871a3e137b3d6fd797221b.jpg

• Like 4

Just now, Evill_Ed said:

Ran my first track day with The Riders Club on Monday. Had another Great Day! The Riders Club ran a well organized and safe event. It was a Monday with limited attendees. This was was nice because there were not a lot of bikes on the track and it allowed me to focus more on my riding. I finally moved up to the Intermediate Group. I also dragged a knee for the first time. I was following an instructor at a quicker pace the first time it happened, I didn't realize what it was a first, it certainly surprised me 😮.  But I was dragging my right knee regularly through a few turns for the rest of the day. Gotta get the left down now 😉.

The more I ride my modified FZ-07, the more I love it. It handles so well now. I received a few positive comments on my build and how well it performed on the track. 

It was a Great Day.

Ed

Congratulations! It's a big deal the first time! Its nice to have that standard 'knee down proof' pic on top of it. I'm still better one way than the other too. Giddyup.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Prepping for my next track day this Friday. I installed a 15 tooth countershaft sprocket today. I’m hoping to get the bike to pull a little stronger on the long straights at NJMP. With stock gearing, 6th just falls on its face. The new sprocket, steel 525, let me move he rear wheel back a little bit. I also decided to check my wheel alignment with the string method. The alignment marks on the swing arm are off. With the adjuster blocks on the the same hash marks on the left and right sides, the rear wheel was off 5/16 of and inch from the front wheel. I got the wheels dead center even with the string method. On the hash marks, it’s off half of the the distance between the larger and smaller hash marks. On the left side I’m exactly in the middle of the 4 th large and small marks. On the right side I’m exactly on the large 4th large  hash mark. That little distance on the hash marks makes a larger difference between the wheel center lines. I never felt that the wheels were out of alignment, I’m hoping the better alignment adds to the already great handling. I dimpled a flat on the adjuster nuts, when making future adjustments I’ll make sure to turn them evenly with the dimples facing the same position side to side. 

I took a few test rides up and down the block to test the new gearing and alignment (also to impress the neighbors 😜)

the gearing didn’t feel like a big change at first, but on the 2nd and 3rd pass, it would hold the front wheel just above the pavement in second gear from about 6000 rpm up. Not sure what the behavior will be on the track yet.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, Evill_Ed said:

I took a few test rides up and down the block to test the new gearing and alignment (also to impress the neighbors 😜)

I'm sure you got a neighbourhood fan club, you could've gotten extra bonus points if you did it a lets say, 7AM. LOL

• Like 2