The MT-07 Forum

Fueling issues post flash

JBrock

I took advantage of the 2WDW sale on black Friday this past November, mainly to eliminate the fuel cut off on decel and take advantage of the deal, knowing I will eventually send it back for tune with a future exhaust upgrade. 

It's been a wet winter here and I haven't ridden a whole lot since the Flash, but when I have, I have been surprised about the lack of obvious reduction in engine breaking. I figured it was in my head, until I was out  yesterday. As I was riding, I am pretty sure the on/off throttle transition was getting more pronounced, which again I put up to my imagination until I was coasting in second gear to an intersection. I looked left/right/left noted a large gap and California rolled the stop sign at about 10-15 mph. As I rolled on the gas, not excessively quickly either, the bike bucked twice before taking off. Reminded me of a poorly running Ford Fairmont I had in the 80's if you gave it too much gas. 

I'm open to the possibility of this being rider error, but between the perceived increased engine braking and the "bucking" I'm concerned there might be more to it. Any thoughts? 

• Premium Member

Bad gas?

The bucking is the most worrisome.

I'd contact 2WDW. They're good guys and will do what they can to help you.

Good luck solving your issue. 👍

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

I have 1 intersection in the whole of the west side of the state that does what you described any time of the day... The engine just acts weird, like it's IGN is being messed with... So I avoid that one intersection... 

If it keeps doing the same problem at same intersection, avoid it... 

Does your bike have ABS? 

Any wires not seated in ECU connection, check all safety switches...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Global Moderator

I used to occasionally get a pretty abrupt throttle application.  As @minkster said, removing the O2 sensor fixed it.  It does not give a check engine light. 

I wouldn't blame it on the intersection (Bermuda Triangle?) and I doubt it's your imagination. You changed one thing on your bike and immediately noticed a change afterwards. Definitely contact the guys who reprogrammed your computer. 

Does 2wdw suggest removing the 02 sensor after a flash??

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

I wouldn't blame it on the intersection (Bermuda Triangle?) and I doubt it's your imagination. You changed one thing on your bike and immediately noticed a change afterwards. Definitely contact the guys who reprogrammed your computer. 

Does 2wdw suggest removing the 02 sensor after a flash??

Here's what 2WDW says about removing the 02 Sensor:

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

11 hours ago, JBrock said:

I took advantage of the 2WDW sale on black Friday this past November, mainly to eliminate the fuel cut off on decel and take advantage of the deal, knowing I will eventually send it back for tune with a future exhaust upgrade. 

It's been a wet winter here and I haven't ridden a whole lot since the Flash, but when I have, I have been surprised about the lack of obvious reduction in engine breaking. I figured it was in my head, until I was out  yesterday. As I was riding, I am pretty sure the on/off throttle transition was getting more pronounced, which again I put up to my imagination until I was coasting in second gear to an intersection. I looked left/right/left noted a large gap and California rolled the stop sign at about 10-15 mph. As I rolled on the gas, not excessively quickly either, the bike bucked twice before taking off. Reminded me of a poorly running Ford Fairmont I had in the 80's if you gave it too much gas. 

I'm open to the possibility of this being rider error, but between the perceived increased engine braking and the "bucking" I'm concerned there might be more to it. Any thoughts? 

Y ah man I would suggest calling @2wheeldynoworks before even posting about it because you will find out it's most likely the 02 sensor or out of sync throttle bodies causing this. Or your engine is just opened up now and feels different. Either way, their customer service is the best and like 2000 of us have their ECU tunes with no issues.

Call them and consider yanking that o-2 sensor that is now throwing up issues.

We are not ECU experts, but Nels and Nate are the top authorities on the subject.

Thanks everyone for all the replies.

The bike has 4K on it. The throttle bodies have not been sync'd. Could be bad gas, for sure.  Snorkel is removed. Bike has ABS. 

I will certainly call 2WDW but wanted to know if someone had a similar experience to mine. Probably remove O2 sensor in the meantime. 

I'm a little surprised you wouldn't want a post about an issue, since you were asking for more posts, but it's your playground.

I'll let you guys know what I come up with. 

@JBrock I'm glad you posted about this. I had my ECU flashed over the winter but have yet to be able to ride due to the weather. Please keep us posted with everything as it will help with troubleshooting if I run into the same issue. 

Instagram: @jayparrington 

4 hours ago, JBrock said:

Thanks everyone for all the replies.

The bike has 4K on it. The throttle bodies have not been sync'd. Could be bad gas, for sure.  Snorkel is removed. Bike has ABS. 

I will certainly call 2WDW but wanted to know if someone had a similar experience to mine. Probably remove O2 sensor in the meantime. 

I'm a little surprised you wouldn't want a post about an issue, since you were asking for more posts, but it's your playground.

I'll let you guys know what I come up with. 

I was just suggesting calling  2wdw right away if something seems wrong after flashing the bike and then posting what the actual solution was. Have you celled them yet? Im looking forward to seeing the result. 

I just dont want to see a thread scare people away from having their ECU's flashed, as it's usually a very good thing to get rid of the USA restrictions and smooth out the abrupt yamaha throttle a bit. 

If unplugging the 02 sensor doesn't work, flip the bike over on it's back and rub it's belly, they love it! 😋

Beemer

Archived