The MT-07 Forum

MT-07 35kw Restrictions

Decable 1

Hi

After trying to find any useful information on this elsewhere without success i Will try My luck here.

So i have a 2018 mt-07 35kw version that i have been trying to derestrict. And when searching the web for any information regarding derestriction of 2018 models or later there is really no relevant information for how to do it exactly. The 2014-2017 35kw models were restricted via a plate blocking the throttle wire from going beyond a certain point, but on the newer models this is not the case. Instead there is a different fuel/ignition map that acts as the limiter. My question is if there is something more than just the electronic limiter like "restrictor plates in the intake" or something other that needs to be removed/changed to unlock full power. I have recently mounted a akrapovic carbon exhaust, a K&N airfilter and done a FTecu flash to accomodate the new setup. But after doing this the check engine light has come lit and the bike has started to "burble" an pop especially when downshifting and enginebreaking. This is why i am suspecting that there is something more that has to be removed/changed in order for it to work as intended.

If anyone knows anything regarding this i would be very grateful for any help or tips.

• Premium Member

@gregjet... IIRC your the first person I could think of that could answer his question...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

OK.

It is possible that Yamaha found another way to derestrict them after I published the intake fix. If not here is the post I made. You need to read the lot. There is some other contributions made from others there as well.

FIRST: If you are a genuine beginner PLEASE do not derestrict the bike until you have some ride experience. The 07 is, in my opinion , not really suitable for beginners for mainly handling and fuelling reasons.

If you are experienced ( eg you have come from dirt riding) then the restrictions are

1. throttle plate ( best way is to buy the proper full version so you can relaminate it if you sell it.

2. The snorkel on the air box. Chuck it or fabricate something thgat will flow better.

3. The Air cleaner. You have already done this.

4 decent exhaust ( truth be told it is a better change for weight that extra HP, but that's a good thing).  Arrows and the later Yoshie version are excellent and light. There is a Greaves ( I think ) that puts out bigger stuff, but I have heard it is LOUD!

5. OK now the restrictors in the intake nozzles. See the attached post. Best suggestion I have seen is to buy the ones that fit the HO (full ) version and swap them. As with the throttle plate you can return the bike to laminated state if you sell it.  I dremeled mine to see if it actually made a difference at the time. It does. More than  anything else.

6 Reflash ( yes NOW not earlier). All the above changes will affect the flash you need.

AGAIN if you are a beginner don't do it...

https://fz07.org/thread/3667/derestricting-lams-mt07-australia/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member

Thanks @gregjet...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Allright thanks for the help guys :)

tho i forgot to mention the bike is sold in Sweden and therefore EU spec, is it Still the same as the australian LAMS spec then?

Edited by Decable 1

Actually I don't THINK it is the same. I remember reading a long time ago that they only did the throttle plate but I am not sure how accurate that was.

Interestingly mine was the first reflash in Australia and was done to EU spec in Italy as the reflasher didn't have the cable yet and my ECU was used as a guinea pig.

Ok, interesting. The thing is My bike did not come whit any throttle plate for the gaswire, it had full "rotation" on the gas tube  unlocked from factory yet the power is restricted to 35kw. On the older A2 EU models it is as you say only a throttle plate and once it's gone you have full power enabled (a friend of mine has the 2015 A2 bike and if he removes the throttle plate he's got full power). So either it is only a restricted ECU map on the newer EU spec MT-07 A2's or there is something more restricting it (like throttle stacks). As mentioned My bike currently has neither throttle plate nor snorkel attached and it has had the ECU flashed with FTecu for the current setup i run (Akrapovic exhaust,K&N filter). And yet it Still doesn't have more power then before the mods (plus the check engine light that's now lit) wich suggests that there must Still be something left.

Editor: Took out the throttle stacks and airbox, and after inspecting it, it is indeed restricted just like the LAMS version with a much narrower "airnozzle" between THE airbox and throttlestack even though it is otherwise EU spec and has the 689cc engine. So for anyone else with the same question/problem you can use the same guide to derestrict a EU specced 35kw as for a AU one minus the throttle plate as it is not restricted there to begin with on the EU version

Edited by Decable 1
Problem solved

Now we know. Thanks.

I figured that Yamaha might use the same trick in Europe to stop the simple removal of the plate for full power.

Have you done it yet. The difference leads to pleasantly surprised swearing in copious amounts.

• 1 year later...
On 3/25/2019 at 10:34 PM, Decable 1 said:

Ok, interesting. The thing is My bike did not come whit any throttle plate for the gaswire, it had full "rotation" on the gas tube  unlocked from factory yet the power is restricted to 35kw. On the older A2 EU models it is as you say only a throttle plate and once it's gone you have full power enabled (a friend of mine has the 2015 A2 bike and if he removes the throttle plate he's got full power). So either it is only a restricted ECU map on the newer EU spec MT-07 A2's or there is something more restricting it (like throttle stacks). As mentioned My bike currently has neither throttle plate nor snorkel attached and it has had the ECU flashed with FTecu for the current setup i run (Akrapovic exhaust,K&N filter). And yet it Still doesn't have more power then before the mods (plus the check engine light that's now lit) wich suggests that there must Still be something left.

Editor: Took out the throttle stacks and airbox, and after inspecting it, it is indeed restricted just like the LAMS version with a much narrower "airnozzle" between THE airbox and throttlestack even though it is otherwise EU spec and has the 689cc engine. So for anyone else with the same question/problem you can use the same guide to derestrict a EU specced 35kw as for a AU one minus the throttle plate as it is not restricted there to begin with on the EU version

Hi Decable1. Finally I've found a post talking about it :). I have an MT07 2018 A2 restriscted (35kw) at Spain. I am thinking about FTecu flash cable, derestricted fuel/ignition map, DNA filter and BOX (already have roadsitalia exhaust with db killer). I have a friend selling those (cable/filter)  for the same price Yamaha will do the unrestriction job (sorry about my english). Will this be enough to remove restriction? I've checked my ecu number and it is on the FTecu database. Thanks very much

2020-07-14_10h01_31.png

2020-07-14_10h02_31.png

Hi, yes if you swap out the intake rubbers between the airbox and throttle bodies for the unrestricted ones then all you really have left to do is flash your ecu for your current setup (a unrestricted map made specifically for your exhaust and air filter etc ) and you are done, the bike will then be completely unrestricted. I do actually recommend you to do it via Yamaha dealership rather than FTecu IF possible since i personally found it to be a bit of a hassle to get it working with FT.

/Decable1

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Decable 1 said:

Hi, yes if you swap out the intake rubbers between the airbox and throttle bodies for the unrestricted ones then all you really have left to do is flash your ecu for your current setup (a unrestricted map made specifically for your exhaust and air filter etc ) and you are done, the bike will then be completely unrestricted. I do actually recommend you to do it via Yamaha dealership rather than FTecu IF possible since i personally found it to be a bit of a hassle to get it working with FT.

/Decable1

Great. With intake rubbers you mean 1 or 2 (on attached pictures, borrowed from @gregjet). Because 2 will be fixed with the DNA filter and box. 
With FTecu if I use the file for my ECU B34-8591A-10 will be a hassle too? it looks easy just to download and put it there. Is there anything else I am missing? (also downloaded the fuel map from dynojet but for akra, not my roadsitalia exhaust).

Sorry for so many questions, maybe I should open a new thread. Is there any way to back up my stock config before flashing with FTecu? couldn't find any video/info on that.

I am thinking FTecu vs Yamaha since it will cost me the same, but with FTecu can adapt to filter and exhaust.

2020-07-14_12h21_00.png

2020-07-14_12h22_14.png

2020-07-14_12h32_06.png

It is the one's in picture 1 i am referring to. On the restricted version they are about half the size of the unrestricted one ( about 20mm instead of 40 if i remember correctly ). I tried drilling out the restricted one with a holesaw ( wich did not go all that well an i ended Up having to buy the unrestricted rubbers anyway ), but you can see the difference in this picture i took.

IMG_20190327_172538.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Decable 1 said:

It is the one's in picture 1 i am referring to. On the restricted version they are about half the size of the unrestricted one ( about 20mm instead of 40 if i remember correctly ). I tried drilling out the restricted one with a holesaw ( wich did not go all that well an i ended Up having to buy the unrestricted rubbers anyway ), but you can see the difference in this picture i took.

IMG_20190327_172538.jpg

Great. Good Info. Just checked and they cost about 25eu each (attaching just to make sure if those are the ones)

Regarding your experience with FTecu, can you explain which problems did you experienced?

5 hours ago, Datahop said:

With FTecu if I use the file for my ECU B34-8591A-10 will be a hassle too? it looks easy just to download and put it there. Is there anything else I am missing? (also downloaded the fuel map from dynojet but for akra, not my roadsitalia exhaust).

Sorry for so many questions, maybe I should open a new thread. Is there any way to back up my stock config before flashing with FTecu? couldn't find any video/info on that.

Thanks very much, just trying to figure out the complete process to know which way to go. I've seen every video tutorial on YT regarding FTecu and MTs

recambio tubo admisión.png

Yeah it's the correct items ( well just make sure it's the unrestricted ones but otherwise it looks fine ). Well the only real problem i experienced with FT was that i could not get it "registred" on their site wich was required in order to make the product usable ( it was locked until it was registred ), and their support service was utter garbage i could not get in contact with them no matter how many times i tried wether by phone or email. However it solved itself in the end, for some reason it just worked one day when i tried it even tho i did not do anything different from previous attempts. Once i had it registred it worked fine tho.

• Like 1

Uff good to know @Decable 1, I've been reading their forum and it seems that post sales customer service is not great.

On the other hand, I've called Yamaha as per your suggestion, they say that in order to remove the airbox to replace the rubber pipes they have to "lower the engine", almost if they take it out but not completely. Did you have problems taking the airbox out? 

At this point I think that I will go to Yamaha and then if tunning needed for stage2, get the FTectu:

280eu derestrict by Yamaha with official certificate and parts.

270eu to buy FTecu and DNA filter (sold by a friend) + 50eu unrestricted rubbers (I can always look for cheaper 2nd hand rubbers)

Yeah to actually get the airbox out you quite literallly have to take half ( if not even more ) of the bike apart. You can however take a bit of a shortcut by just removing the gas tank and a couple of fairings wich will allow you to "free up/loosen" the airbox enough too pull it towards the rear of the bike. Wich in turn will give you just enough room to unscrew the intake rubbers and pull them out to the side instead of taking the whole airbox out of the frame. Anyway you go about it tho there is going to be quite a bit of wrenching to get the job done

• Thanks 1

This is what i meant by removing the rubbers from the side instead of removing the whole box. You have to free up the airbox as mentioned by removing a couple of things. Then you loosen the throttle bodies from the cylinder heads and from the intake rubbers and unplug all the sensors and such in order to first get the throttle bodies out from the side and then the intake rubbers. I have to warn you however of you choose to do it yourself and also choose to take the "shortcut" you should know it is tight as hell in there so chances are there will be some frustration in that case. Honestly after doing it myself in retrospective i probably would just have let Yamaha do it it if had known what it would take to get it done.

/Decable1

IMG_20190326_183807.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Decable 1 said:

Honestly after doing it myself in retrospective i probably would just have let Yamaha do it it if had known what it would take to get it done.

I'll go that way. Great thread though, now it has all info to do it 💪. Thanks for all the info!!!

• 5 weeks later...

What does the throttle plate mod do? I’m in america and have a 2020 mt07

Edited by James Bond

• Global Moderator
10 hours ago, James Bond said:

What does the throttle plate mod do? I’m in america and have a 2020 mt07

For the US models it does nothing.  There are low power models of the FZ-07 available in other parts of the world due to licensing restrictions.  Fortunately we do not have to worry about that here. 

• 3 years later...

I’ve wanted to order MT-07 for a while but I only have A2 license 35kW. There is an option to order restricted MT-07, but the dealer told me that the new 2024 model will not be able to be derestricted. At least that’s what he told me. I am wondering if I can derestricted it and will I be able to extract the full potential of this 2024 model? I was not able to find anything for this new model. After checking online I think the dealer is bsing me but I want to double-check before ordering.

How long do you have to ride to get an unrestricted license?   I'd say ride it out then buy an unrestricted bike, saving money  in the process.    Besides more power doesn't make a rider better.  I rode a Kaw 400 triple (42 hp rated) with my friends, most of whom were on Z1s, easy double the horsepower.  Seemed like every time we got on the tighter secondary highways in eastern Ohio, that "little triple" had worked its way near the front of the group.    They could kick my butt on straights playing throttle jockey, but my cornering speed grew where theirs never did, I became a better rider.  

Try it, ride out your restriction then trade or sell the restricted bike and buy an unrestricted version.

• Like 2