The MT-07 Forum

Yss Suspension

Milozhk

Hello there, ive been looking  for some front fork upgrades and ive found a kit from yss wich i can get really cheap as i have a friend in the buissness. i just wanted to hear if anyone had tried the kit or knows anything good or bad?, i weigh in at 154lbs and my riding style is very aggressive street oriented, no ttrack

Unavngivet.jpg

Unavngivet.jpg

Edited by Milozhk
bad link

6 minutes ago, topazsparrow said:

That link is broken, it's asking for a membership card and password.

I've never heard of YSS here before.

fixed it with pictures instead

Looks like springs, emulators and preload adjustable caps. For your weight you don't need springs, stock ones are fine.

Preload adjustable caps are not necessary either.

Emulators do help.   

2 hours ago, twf said:

Looks like springs, emulators and preload adjustable caps. For your weight you don't need springs, stock ones are fine.

Preload adjustable caps are not necessary either.

Emulators do help.   

Yeah well, i don know that much about forks yet, but i do know that the fron fork is too soft and it inhibits my riding style, what other solution out the could the be for a lightweight dud as me?

topazsparrow

You need to check your rider sag levels before deciding if you need new springs. It's entirely possible that the front feels too soft due to the terribad stock compression dampening - which emulators would mostly resolve.

59 minutes ago, topazsparrow said:

You need to check your rider sag levels before deciding if you need new springs. It's entirely possible that the front feels too soft due to the terribad stock compression dampening - which emulators would mostly resolve.

Allright, ill measure the sag. but what values can i compare to. to actually know were in the spectrum my sag is at? as in if i need stiffer springs or whatsoever? is it listed in the manual?

1 hour ago, twf said:

See if you are around 35mm. You can also change spacer length to get more or less sag. 

the sag is 26mm 

Another thing that contributes to the front feeling too soft or po-goey is the lack of damping in the shock. It can make the bike behave like a ill tempered rocking horse when getting on the brakes or negotiating a set of curves. Excessive rise and fall.

3 hours ago, twf said:

Did you fully extend forks before measuring, wheel off the ground? And you sitting on the bike.

yes i did. i followed motorcycle garages video on youtube, 1st measure ment is with the front wheel in the air with the forks fully extenden, i call this L1= 150mm

2nd measurement is with me on the bike in a regular driving position, L2= 123mm

3rd measurent is same as 2nd, though pumping the fork and then measuring L3= 125mm

then i went with this -     L1-((L2+L3)/2 wich equals 26mm sag, please correct me if im wrong, also i tried racetech.com on the spring rate calculation, after my info it indicates a desired spring rate og 0,88kg/mm wich is the same as the stock spring 😕

13 minutes ago, twf said:

Right, reason I said you don't need springs.

So the optimal solution is preload adjusters and emulators?

topazsparrow
4 minutes ago, Milozhk said:

So the optimal solution is preload adjusters and emulators?

It's the best bang for your buck.

The optimal solution is to redo the front end with quality cartridges and update the rear shock to match. That's cost prohibitive though.

2 minutes ago, topazsparrow said:

It's the best bang for your buck.

The optimal solution is to redo the front end with quality cartridges and update the rear shock to match. That's cost prohibitive though.

Yeah exactly, im trying to keep the costs down

The standard shock causes issues with the stock front end. Fork spring rate is not the issue, it's the lack of damping in both the shock and the fork.

You'd be better of spending on an aftermarket shock (best single overall improvement IMO) and then fit some emulators in the forks. Job done for as cheap as you'll reasonably get.

1 hour ago, stickshift said:

The standard shock causes issues with the stock front end. Fork spring rate is not the issue, it's the lack of damping in both the shock and the fork.

You'd be better of spending on an aftermarket shock (best single overall improvement IMO) and then fit some emulators in the forks. Job done for as cheap as you'll reasonably get.

Any suggestions for andre aftermarket shock that wont Rip the Wallet?

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Milozhk said:

Any suggestions for andre aftermarket shock that wont Rip the Wallet?

Alots of peeps like the Ktech RazorR or a setup by Bitubio(sp?)

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Global Moderator

I was surprised how much replacing the shock helped overall handling.  I thought the forks were the bigger problem but it was replacing the shock that made the most difference.  I have a Nitron shock, but I have heard a lot of good things about the K-Tech.  

topazsparrow
On 3/24/2019 at 3:20 AM, norcal616 said:

Alots of peeps like the Ktech RazorR or a setup by Bitubio(sp?)

The rear Bitubo seems decent. I can't recommend the front carts though - pretty disappointing for the money.

Worth mentioning that I had to send my rear shock back under warranty before even using it because the hydraulic preload adjuster had leaked. Seemed to hold up well over the last riding season and winter though.

• 1 month later...
firstyammerha

I bought a basic K-Tech shock after re-springing the stock shock and I don't think it's any better. Finding the right spring for your riding style and weight is key. My opinion is the stock spring is too much for the factory shock.