The MT-07 Forum

RED LIGHT NOT BEING ACTIVATED.

fastfredyb

RED LIGHT NOT BEING ACTIVATED!!  I am new to the street bike world and realized that my bike won't activate the light. I used to drive a vstar 1100 and didn't have this issue perhaps because the bike had more steel and was much heavier.  What do you do to remedy this issue?

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Are you talking about the traffic signal light? Try to stop directly over the sensor in the ground. This is where a cager comes in handy. :)  I wish there was a law allowing us to run a red (safely) if it doesn't recognize us bikers.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Yes, I have a light that just won't turn green. I need to be behind a cager or a cager behind me in order to activate the light.

Guest August BB

I know in WA state, if the lights cycles through one time without changing, you are allowed to go if its clear. You can search if it is like that in your area.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

On my regular routes that I ride, I have learned which ones can't detect me (usually left turns) so I go to another left if there is no cager there. Even my big heavy cruiser doesn't activate some lights.

Check your state laws. In TN, we too are allowed to go through the light provided we do so safely and have allowed a "reasonable amount of time" for the light to change.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Get a oil filter magnet it helps out quite a bit. Most stop lights have an induction coil in the asphalt, it picks up magnetic fields put off by steel and iron. A magnet will usually put off a strong enough field to trigger the stop light.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001OJCIMO?cache=53fc43c0f1c0de39b464b5996f1ad975&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&qid=1414600303&sr=8-5#ref=mp_s_a_1_5

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

I've found that if you stay in left or right part of the lane, not over center, that will help trigger those. I believe the metal coil in the road Is about the size of a hula hoop.

• Premium Member

They list it in detail for Virginia residents. For those that may not know:

B. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, if a driver of a motorcycle or moped or a bicycle rider approaches an intersection that is controlled by a traffic light, the driver or rider may proceed through the intersection on a steady red light only if the driver or rider (i) comes to a full and complete stop at the intersection for two complete cycles of the traffic light or for two minutes, whichever is shorter, (ii) exercises due care as provided by law, (iii) otherwise treats the traffic control device as a stop sign, (iv) determines that it is safe to proceed, and (v) yields the right of way to the driver of any vehicle approaching on such other highway from either direction.

How effective is that magnet? Looks enticing but for $50 I'd feel better knowing it works most of the time instead of taking a gamble.

Everything went braap.

They list it in detail for Virginia residents. For those that may not know: 

B. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, if a driver of a motorcycle or moped or a bicycle rider approaches an intersection that is controlled by a traffic light, the driver or rider may proceed through the intersection on a steady red light only if the driver or rider (i) comes to a full and complete stop at the intersection for two complete cycles of the traffic light or for two minutes, whichever is shorter, (ii) exercises due care as provided by law, (iii) otherwise treats the traffic control device as a stop sign, (iv) determines that it is safe to proceed, and (v) yields the right of way to the driver of any vehicle approaching on such other highway from either direction.

How effective is that magnet? Looks enticing but for $50 I'd feel better knowing it works most of the time instead of taking a gamble.

There are cheaper magnets out there, that was the first I found to give as an example. I got one from Napa 5 or 6 years ago for about $20. They do work well, I don't need a car behind me to trigger lights

You do or don't
Then your dead.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
Get a oil filter magnet it helps out quite a bit. Most stop lights have an induction coil in the asphalt, it picks up magnetic fields put off by steel and iron. A magnet will usually put off a strong enough field to trigger the stop light. 
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001OJCIMO?cache=53fc43c0f1c0de39b464b5996f1ad975&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&qid=1414600303&sr=8-5#ref=mp_s_a_1_5
That is just bad a$$ Ryan, I'm getting one today.  We were also taught in the motorcycle safety corse to drive directly into the middle of the censor to activate them.  I've only got one or two that don't detect my bike.  Hopefully the magnet helps. 

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I found an article on this. Not very many states allow a motorcyclists to run the stale red. I think a way around it is to consider the light "inoperable" and treat it like a stop sign. That's going to be my story.  8-)

http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2013/12/08/the-us-states-where-motorcyclists-can-legally-run-red-lights/

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

My quick fix is usually waiting for a car to pull up behind me, then I pull forward sometimes into the crosswalk and signal the car behind me to come closer. Most drivers are willing to help as they want to get moving too.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

• Premium Member
I usually just look left, look right, twist the wrist and rip on down the road.
While very satisfactory and quite often very safe, do not say that in front of the children ( :) ).
In town here ALL the traffic lights are on detectors. It helps if you look at the pattern on the ground of the sensors. They are usually rectangles, and if one places the bike right on the intersection (left or right does not matter)between the line parallel to traffic and the one perpendicular to it, it detects the bike more easily. I have to say that a magnet sounds intriguing. I need to give it a try.
Marco
Physics Prof. Be aware :o:)

My city requests to be notified of lights that aren't be triggered. But no need for you to move here. Try reporting those non-functioning  locations to your local authority.

FJR1300A,Triumph S3,Ducati S2R1000
VisitedStatesMap2011.jpg 310820.png

Magnet!?!?!? So waving my arms around and flailing my legs about isn't realling helping? Lol

I'll bite, why do think that a decent size magnet 6" from the asphalt won't trigger an induction coil?

You do or don't
Then your dead.

Why screw around with a magnet. Just wind a few feet of copper wire in a loop and attach it to the bottom of your bike. Connect on end of the wire to the frame and the other to the horn. When you are positioned over the sensor in the street just give a few beeps of the horn and you should be good to go.

FJR1300A,Triumph S3,Ducati S2R1000
VisitedStatesMap2011.jpg 310820.png

Magnet!?!?!? So waving my arms around and flailing my legs about isn't realling helping? Lol
I'll bite, why do think that a decent size magnet 6" from the asphalt won't trigger an induction coil?
I think he was being facetious.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

I don't even know what an induction coil is....if you say it will I trust you. Seems to me that you have a great idea with the magnet. I rarely ever see traffic lights....we only have two in town. 

I don't even know what an induction coil is....if you say it will I trust you. Seems to me that you have a great idea with the magnet. I rarely ever see traffic lights....we only have two in town.

I read you post totally wrong, sorry about that. yesterday was one of those days

You do or don't
Then your dead.

Just looked it up in my area, Illinois allows you to go through an untriggered light after 2 minutes of waiting. Wisconsin allows you to go through after 45 seconds.

We just got the law allowing us to proceed after two complete light cycles. Here, that takes forever on some roads. Had to do it in my truck the other day. Damn signal just wouldn't go green. Every other direction worked fine.

Archived