The MT-07 Forum

Spring Cleaning tips?

topazsparrow

topazsparrow

There's a ton of relatively delicate plastics and tiny little nooks on these bikes.

What's your go-to method for making your bike shine like new again? How do you get in the tight spots?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, topazsparrow said:

There's a ton of relatively delicate plastics and tiny little nooks on these bikes.

What's your go-to method for making your bike shine like new again? How do you get in the tight spots?

I've been using S100 Cleaner. Spray it on and hose it off. It creeps into the tight spots to loosen dirt and crud. I use a sponge to work any heavy dirt areas. It leaves everything with  a nice satin finish.

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• 3 weeks later...

I use Adam's VRT (vinyl rubber trim) on the plastics. It will make the side tanks slippery if you use it where your knees touch. Detailers use little foam painting brushes to get in nooks. I have some for that purpose but I've been fine with a microfiber towel. Also, detail spray... and AmmoNYC wheel stuff for black tires.

I've been using Plexus plastic cleaner for....wow....15+ years? It comes in small cans that seem to be very expensive, but it lasts forever. I like keeping the plastics on my dirt bikes looking as fresh as possible. It polishes it light scuffs and scratches nicely and won't yellow clear plastics, like windshields and helmet visors. Makes dried on bug removal a snap.

e20207.jpg
WWW.DENNISKIRK.COM

Find the Plexus Plastic Cleaner - 20207 at Dennis Kirk. Shop our complete selection of Dirt Bike Motorcycle parts and accessories including the Plexus Plastic Cleaner - 20207.

Cleaning my bike is therapeutic for me - a chance to escape the noise of kids and people asking my to do things for them. 

So I take my time. I use several microfiber cloths, a handful of Q-tips, a couple shop towels, and Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer. 

I only have about 2,500 miles on my 2018 now, but it looks show room new, despite even being driven in the rain a couple times and hitting a cow patty (🤮) a couple months ago. 

• Global Moderator

@Cinimod, if you are on the west coast and need some therapy I have a bike you are welcome to clean ;).  Fortunately it will probably be dirty.  If it is a nice day I tend to ride it  instead of clean it.  I should get better at that. 

Archived