The MT-07 Forum

Soon to be owner

Hiemsnox

Hey guys, thought i create an account and say hi now that i have been snooping on your site for a couple weeks now.

I am currently on deployment in the navy, were changing homeports from WA to VA. So that means a around the world "cruise". I still wont be back on home turf for another couple months, but i plan on getting either a new last year model 2018 MT or an used FZ for my first bike. One of my friends has one and loves his, granted he's wanting to upgrade to a 10 here soon. I would buy his bike except the whole paying to ship it across the country deal wouldn't make much sense.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which bike to get new or used? Cost difference between a used FZ and a new 2018 is only about $1300 from what i can tell. And i know the whole saying about how you always drop your first bike, so buy used so it doesn't hurt your feelings as much. But i kinda of like the idea of having a bike that no one has abused or hiding any mechanical issues.

Little bit about me. Ive always been a car guy, I love to work on anything with an engine. I currently have a 05 Ford Superduty, 04 Subaru STi, and a 81 VW Caddy 1.6 turbo diesel. I can't post any pictures right now since I'm on a VERY limited internet here on the ship(takes minutes to load pages and its a public computer) but i will share some when I'm either in port or when i get to VA.

Looking forward to getting some experience on bikes and hopefully a good relationship with the community!

Just now, Hiemsnox said:

Hey guys, thought i create an account and say hi now that i have been snooping on your site for a couple weeks now.

I am currently on deployment in the navy, were changing homeports from WA to VA. So that means a around the world "cruise". I still wont be back on home turf for another couple months, but i plan on getting either a new last year model 2018 MT or an used FZ for my first bike. One of my friends has one and loves his, granted he's wanting to upgrade to a 10 here soon. I would buy his bike except the whole paying to ship it across the country deal wouldn't make much sense.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which bike to get new or used? Cost difference between a used FZ and a new 2018 is only about $1300 from what i can tell. And i know the whole saying about how you always drop your first bike, so buy used so it doesn't hurt your feelings as much. But i kinda of like the idea of having a bike that no one has abused or hiding any mechanical issues.

Little bit about me. Ive always been a car guy, I love to work on anything with an engine. I currently have a 05 Ford Superduty, 04 Subaru STi, and a 81 VW Caddy 1.6 turbo diesel. I can't post any pictures right now since I'm on a VERY limited internet here on the ship(takes minutes to load pages and its a public computer) but i will share some when I'm either in port or when i get to VA.

Looking forward to getting some experience on bikes and hopefully a good relationship with the community!

Welcome. Thanks for serving.

Get a cheap plane ticket to your buddies and drive it home? Great way to get a quainted with the bike and see your pal. Just a thought.

Hi there, and welcome!

As far as I know, the updates to the new mt-07 are positive but as always, buying a low mileage excellent condition used bike and saving $ would be best, most likely if you wanted to you could install aftermarket parts on a used bike and end up with a better vehicle than buying new. Of course, with a new bike you have peace of mind. Don't buy a bike that's been dropped. Welcome again and good luck.

Hey! Nothing wrong with a good, used bike. Personally and preferably, I would look for one with 4k or less miles on it to better ensure there is less abuse on it, even from the most abusive person. Just be sure to check it out well before you write the check. You're going to be one happy guy when you get your land legs back and a new MT-07.

Beemer

12 hours ago, mossrider said:

Welcome. Thanks for serving.

Get a cheap plane ticket to your buddies and drive it home? Great way to get a quainted with the bike and see your pal. Just a thought.

I actually thought about this, and i would absolutely love to do this, especially since i'm getting out in Aug and will have 30 days of terminal leave. But my only issue with this is with as little experience as i have, i'm not sure i should attempt a cross country trip just yet.

8 hours ago, worker1 said:

Hi there, and welcome!

As far as I know, the updates to the new mt-07 are positive but as always, buying a low mileage excellent condition used bike and saving $ would be best, most likely if you wanted to you could install aftermarket parts on a used bike and end up with a better vehicle than buying new. Of course, with a new bike you have peace of mind. Don't buy a bike that's been dropped. Welcome again and good luck.

I have seen a few with upgrades already and that does make me lean towards a used bike since the upgrades cost more than the difference of a new bike for about the same or less than the new. I do like the piece of mind, especially since this bike already has such a low market cost its hard not to just buy new. I will be spending a lot on gear too since thats a priority for me.

2 hours ago, Beemer said:

Hey! Nothing wrong with a good, used bike. Personally and preferably, I would look for one with 4k or less miles on it to better ensure there is less abuse on it, even from the most abusive person. Just be sure to check it out well before you write the check. You're going to be one happy guy when you get your land legs back and a new MT-07.

I've never bought a new car so I'm very used to buying someone else's problems, but not knowing if someone did a proper break in period or first maintenance. either way i know i'm going to be happy with this as my first bike. I had always wanted a R6 for like the last 10 years and i'm really glad they came out with the FZ since i think its a much better first bike/everyday bike.

I am in northern VA and have mine for sale :)

I moved out here originally because my wife was a navy nurse but has since left active duty. 

I also came from the car world, and the FZ is a fantastic bike for that. Just enough power to know to use discretion, but not so much that it's suicide. It also makes northern virginia more accessible since there are so many HOV roads everywhere you can use. 

On 3/20/2019 at 9:29 PM, cyow5 said:

I am in northern VA and have mine for sale :)

I moved out here originally because my wife was a navy nurse but has since left active duty. 

I also came from the car world, and the FZ is a fantastic bike for that. Just enough power to know to use discretion, but not so much that it's suicide. It also makes northern virginia more accessible since there are so many HOV roads everywhere you can use. 

I can't direct message you yet, not enough posts, but if you want to send me one we can talk about you bike.

Archived