The MT-07 Forum

Bent ft rim

lilneddy

Recently purchased a 2016 that is in OK shape. It runs perfect and only need few improvements to be made. What I thought was uneven streets, turned out to be a bent ft rim. Its not noticeable above 20 mph but of course its something I want to take care of. One side of the rim has a small bend in it where it looks like the previous rider hit a pothole or something. The tire has not lost any air in the 2 months I have owned it.

Can it be fixed? I live in Portland OR if anyone knows a good wheel shop. Its not the best photo, but you may be able to see the dent on the lower left of the rim.

IMG_0348.jpg.c9441d64f8321ab9df437e218b99c546.jpg

Just now, lilneddy said:

Recently purchased a 2016 that is in OK shape. It runs perfect and only need few improvements to be made. What I thought was uneven streets, turned out to be a bent ft rim. Its not noticeable above 20 mph but of course its something I want to take care of. One side of the rim has a small bend in it where it looks like the previous rider hit a pothole or something. The tire has not lost any air in the 2 months I have owned it.

Can it be fixed? I live in Portland OR if anyone knows a good wheel shop. Its not the best photo, but you may be able to see the dent on the lower left of the rim.

It very well may be able to be fixed if you choose to do so. It is also possible to continue to use it if it doesn't bother you excessively.

When they are bent they can wobble or pulsate a little at slower speeds because the weight of the bike and rider causes the tire to deflect into the deformed wheel profile as it rolls. At higher speeds the effect appears to go away since it rolls through the damaged area more quickly.  

If you Google 'motorcycle wheel repair', you'll get any number of shops, some possibly in your area. Unless you're lucky you'll have to ship your wheel for service.  

I've had some fixed, quite satisfactorily, had some declared unserviceable by the repair shop too. I've also run some with minor damage for many thousands of miles w/o trouble.  

Good luck whatever you decide to do and have it professional looked at if you're not comfortable evaluating it yourself.

Cheers.

Yeah, that’s what I thought. It’s annoying as hell at low speeds, but it may not be worth the cost/hassle of fixing it.

It can be fixed! I have straightened a few rims myself. You cant just beat it back in to shape with a rubber mallet, though.  Check the phonebook for your area and you can probably find someone that specializes in wheel repair. 

If you can dismount the tire and don't mind possibly needing to repaint, you can get the rim good and hot and reshape it. Doesn't have to be glowing hot, but it will most likely crack if you try to straighten it cold. It also helps to keep a little heat on the repair after it's fixed and slowly let the temp normalize. If you have a press available you can push it back in to shape. Offers a bit more control vs swinging a mallet.

Not to be an alarmist, but your tweak looks a bit more pronounced than the one below. This one rode fine but had a slow leak. Another impact and it could be looking like a very quick deflation. Just food for thought. Be safe! 

https://i.imgur.com/abVr2su.jpg

9LOSwrd.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/StVtnbv.jpg

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I'd check eBay.... I have a MUCH smaller bend in my front (from a shop that changed my tire "cheap"). I change all my own tires now 😎..... I've been waiting for the "right" deal to come along. I don't like the idea of straightening/repairing a bent rim. You can probably buy a straight rim for about $200 - $250 max? We have so little contact with the road already, why gamble with less than perfect?

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• 2 weeks later...

It is most likely a bit unsafe, but  to me its more annoying to me than anything else. Like I said, anything between 10-20 mph feels like a washboard effect. So I bought a used one off eBay for a total of $140. Thats WITH shipping. I have been rolling it in my kitchen and it appears straight. Swapping rims next week. 😀

Archived