The MT-07 Forum

Cleaning plastics?

captainkool4

captainkool4

I have a big stain on my headlight plastic, not sure where it came from or what it is but soap and water won't remove it. 

Picture: 

7LMD4Dfh.jpg
IMGUR.COM

Post with 0 views.

Any idea what this is? Or how to remove it?  The only way to get that plastic piece OEM is to order the entire headlight assembly.  Can't drive around with this stain, any advice greatly appreciated.

topazsparrow

are you the original owner?

Looks like someone spilled brake clean or some kind of solvent there and it's oxidized the plastic.

Yes, or check the front master cylinder assembly to see if brake fluid is running down the handlebar or something

• Premium Member

This looks like brake cleaner (or brake fluid) damage. I had the same think happen tot he carbon look on my front fender, turned milky white after getting hit with brake cleaner. I took a cotton cloth (T Shirt) and dampened t with Acetone. I lightly swiped the area in one direction with lite pressure a few times, allowing it to dry a minute or so between swipes. It got rid of the milky look, but the area is a little different looking  than the rest (see front of fender in picture), but it went from ruined to usable for me.  You could also repaint it with something like SEM Trim Black. 

Ed

01082018 069.JPG

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Premium Member

Cut some carbon fiber or colored vinyl out and cover both sides of headlight... Or sand the headlight housing down and paint it a color you like...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Archived