The MT-07 Forum

High idle while in gear sitting still

qjohnson

Is it just me or has anyone else had the issue where the bike idles normally and then as soon as you pull the clutch in and drop it into first the rpm's rise up to almost 2k. This only happens after its put into gear tho. The idle will stay normal with the lever pulled in until put into first gear. Also the idle stays there when coming to a stop and doesn't go down until you let off the clutch lever in neutral.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen on their bike or any other bike. I would suspect clutch adjustment but then wouldn't it happen as soon as the lever is pulled in and not when its put into gear? I'm confused on what could cause this.

• Global Moderator

Mine does not do that. I am not sure what would cause it, but it does not sound normal. Hopefully someone will have an answer for you.  Does the same thing happen if you are stopped and you shift into second gear?

I would check the throttle cables are properly adjusted and
look to see if the clutch cable is interfering with it in
any way, look to see if the throttle body end of the cables
move when you pull in the clutch, if the throttle cables are to
tight and the clutch cable is moving it around, other than that the ECU could
be turning up the idle like it does when the engine is cold
but you may need to get it connected to diagnostics to find out
what is going on.

If it were the cables don't you think it would happen as soon as I pull in the clutch lever? The idle only jumps up after I put it in gear. I can pull the clutch lever in and out in neutral with no changes in rpm until it goes into gear. I do have the EJK fuel controller on the bike so I may unplug that and see if it goes away. If not ill have to bring it into the dealer and get it checked out. I just hope they don't say its because of any of the aftermarket parts on the bike.

Akra Ti, EJK, RSC clutch lever and perch.

• Global Moderator

I would call Dobeck. Maybe there is a setting there that is not right. My guess is that is where the problem is. If it is easy to disconnect that would be a quick way to troubleshoot.

Yeah Ill give them a call. Unplugging the EJK might be a PITA so I think I'm gonna try and set the fuel trim settings back to stock first and see if anything changes. If not, you know how you can reset the ECM on a car by leaving the battery unplugged for a few minutes? U guys think I should try that too?

So something has changed since I last rode it. I took the bike out for a spin and noticed that the idle will jump up only about 100 or 200 rpm when put into gear and now when I take it out of gear it drops back down. This is all with the clutch lever pulled in sitting at a stop. I have no idea lol. Time has run out to try to diagnose it because of the cold sooo I guess I'll see what happens next season. To be continued....

Archived