The MT-07 Forum

Essential Riding Gear??

prediddy

I want to start putting together a list of gear that I should bring with me on my regular rides.  Meaning aside from clothing/protective equipment that I'd be wearing already.

The goal is to build up a small backpack or something similar that will have some basic supplies to get me through a variety of situations I may encounter.  I have carried one in my car, containing basic tools, recovery gear, First Aid Kit, spare clothes, all kinds of assorted crap, for 'just in case' scenarios.

Obviously on a bike space is much more limited, and as a motorcycle noob, I'm open to suggestions I'm sure there are lots of things that can arise that I wouldn't think of myself.

So far I'm thinking...

Leatherman
Rain Poncho
Power Bars
$50 cash
some kind of tire patch/plug...

• Premium Member

Good list so far... Mine is similar.

Thinking about the bikemaster repair kit 

I'm also adding -

- A small flashlight (like thrunite ti3)

- Zip lock freezer bag(s) as back up dry storage and organization of stuff.

- Extra ignition key hidden somewhere on me or the bike... Not sure yet where to put though - probably will just go in my wallet

- Keychain size spare garage door opener (I got one for $15 here)

- Maybe a pair of riding glasses (in case my full face helmet is stolen/lost/unusable, I can at least drive home legally)

- Duct Tape - about 4' rewrapped to be flat (why? I don't know, but I always feel better knowing I have duct tape!)

- Tire pressure gauge

If your phone has a removable battery, a spare battery or a portable charger. I've also seen folks use pay-as-you-go phones that are always packed with their emergency pack.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

For the tire patch/plug, I built a small box with all the necessary tools needed. The most important being a small spray bottle filled with water/soap to find the leak location.

http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag272/arnau11/IMG_1036_zps118093c5.jpg

Wallmart helped me find a suitable case.

http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag272/arnau11/IMG_1037_zps10880ed8.jpg

Everything fits snug.

http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag272/arnau11/IMG_1038_zps8c9d7652.jpg

Case with a helmet to give you an idea of the size.

http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag272/arnau11/IMG_1039_zps2dddfb4a.jpg

Now, how far/long of a trip are you talking about? Because for a max of 50 miles, all you need is a friend or family phone number.
Past that, the longer the distance the larger the carrying capacity you will need. starting with a tank bag, then add a back pack, then a rear case and like our dear friend, phyciocc the Physics Prof., the full out gears for at least 3 times around the globe needed storage, saddle bags.

You make a good point. For me, my commute is 50 mi round trip, so most of the time I'm a 45 minutes ride from my front door. Beyond that, an occasional day trip to visit friends or relatives could take me further but not by much I don't think.

At this time, I don't intend to try a longer weekend or multi-day excursion where I'd need much more than the clothes on my back. That would be a different animal altogether for me.

Ideally I'd be able to fit everything into a single pack. Since I ride into the city, security is an issue for me. I'm not in a horrible area, but also leaving bags and such attached to my bike while at work, not the best idea. Makes a backpack pretty attractive to me. Anyone have issues adjusting to riding with the load on your back or not a big deal?

• Premium Member
Great ideas guys, I'm going to start assembling most of these. Now I need to start looking for a way to carry all this stuff...
Other than a home-assembled tire repair kit, I think it would all just about fit in a fairly large jacket pocket, waist pack, or a very small tail bag.  
This topic had been on my radar for a few weeks so I had already been poking around online for ideas and had a list started. The only specific resource I remember is a youtube video from
 - that is where I first saw the bikemaster kit, and also got the spare key idea. You may want to check out his video on it. He had many other suggested emergency items, some of which may be of interest to you.

i use my leather backpack to carry most essential items my commute is about 47 x 2 i live in burbs but work in city so most of my pack is personal security . they can have the bike its insured

• Premium Member
Dont forget to pack toilet paper and spare underware. You'll be glad you did.
Do apple cider and Mexican food have something to do with this savvy advice ::) ?
Marco
Physics Prof. Be aware :o:)

• Premium Member
Now, how far/long of a trip are you talking about? Because for a max of 50 miles, all you need is a friend or family phone number. Past that, the longer the distance the larger the carrying capacity you will need. starting with a tank bag, then add a back pack, then a rear case and like our dear friend, phyciocc the Physics Prof., the full out gears for at least 3 times around the globe needed storage, saddle bags.
It starts with a back pack, then a tank bag then a top box then saddlebags, then a trailer...
Marco
Physics Prof. Be aware :o:)

I do alot of solo dirtbiking trips in the remote Mountains of Idaho and have learned how/what to pack the hard way.

1.Most important thing I always pack is a small notepad an pencil. To write down stuff to bring next time, an stuff to leave home. Invaluable.

2.I bring an MSR fuel bottle for both trails and remote roads. They seal well, and are impact resistant. I put one in my backpack side pocket and this works well because the bottles are built for backpackers. I have dented one in a wreck with no issues or spillage.
These bottles have gotten me to the next gas station a few times. Funny, the MPG you can achieve when you know that you have exactly one liter of fuel left in the tank.

3.Tools for the most common jobs, safety wire, plyers/cutters, tire tools, wrenches/sockets in the sizes that are common for the bike. I get most of these used at pawn shops cheap, and again, only in the sizes that are needed for ea bike.

4.If riding in remote areas with no cell coverage, I take a spot locater. Even if it's highway riding. Some of these roads don't see many cars at night.

5. The clothes that I wear, when possible are never ever made of cotton. Cotton gets wet from rain or sweat and stays wet forever. Wet clothes can cause hypothermia even in warm weather, especially on a moving motorcycle. Synthetic shirts and fleece liners are your friend, are light an easy to pack an dry so very quickly.

6. I always have at least one trash bag in my backpack. Holds trash, yes. But also can provide rain cover or sun cover if broken down.

Hypothermia kills. You often do not know that you have it, it effects your thought process and can cause you to run right off the road. On long trips with elevation changes, I often stop and change layers and hang a wet article of clothing off the bike to dry quickly until needed again.
The point here to make is to always stay dry on long trips.

i have the yamaha saddlebags and a bilt tail bag for long trips.. i can hold a lot of stuff if needed! i have a tire repair kit and a small electric compressor that hooks up to your battery, bought it at cycle gear for $20 on clearance, works great. some basic tools. and im good to go. Highly recomend the saddlebags!! there worth the money for sure.

• Premium Member

Add a handkerchief to your guys list. It weighs just grams, takes up little space and has literally hundreds of different uses. Just look it up.

A couple other very small lightweight items I consider essential would be a firestarter.

Such as a firesteel. You can light hundreds of fires with one. No dry tinder? Well you brought your trusty hanky right, rip off a few narrow long sections. Make a little cup, shave some magnesium in the center, cast some sparks.. voila, fire!

I would also throw some iodine tablets or a filter straw so almost any water can be drinking water in an emergency.

Lastly a space blanket. Again, weighs grams and takes up only a small bit of space. Could be used in a wide variety of ways, including good signal material.

I do a lot of hiking/camping if you couldn't tell.

Everything went braap.

• Global Moderator

Wow, some of you guys go a lot further than I do. I just figure my cell phone, or if that does not work flagging down a passing motorist are my emergency preparations.

• Global Moderator

Some cash. I never leave without it. Plastic sometimes just doesn't work.

I also have a couple of Band Aids in my bag. I seem to cut myself every time I try and fix something.

Archived