The MT-07 Forum

Suspension advice

Jonnyaust

Looking for advice on forks and a rear shock.  I’m 290 with gear on and looking to upgrade the suspension to handle my weight. I ride mostly highway and twistys. No track riding. and don’t plan on it either. Was thinking k tech rear shock and spring  for my weight. But with the forks  just want to keep it simple should I just do springs and different oil that are appropriate for my weight 

You can do springs and oil but that may not be enough. You will need stiff springs for your weight and stock damping rod can't handle it. You either need to modify damper rods or add emulators to get some control. Or you can go one step up and get cartridges.

Which K-tech shock you thinking of getting? 

If interested I have used Penske sport shock for sale (the one without reservoir). 

5 hours ago, twf said:

You can do springs and oil but that may not be enough. You will need stiff springs for your weight and stock damping rod can't handle it. You either need to modify damper rods or add emulators to get some control. Or you can go one step up and get cartridges.

Which K-tech shock you thinking of getting? 

If interested I have used Penske sport shock for sale (the one without reservoir). 

The chespest one just specific to my em weight 

13 minutes ago, twf said:

Razor lite? 

I would do traxxion ar25 at minimum for front. Or one of cartridge choices. 

For the rear yea and I’ll look into it thank you

28 minutes ago, twf said:

Razor lite? 

I would do traxxion ar25 at minimum for front. Or one of cartridge choices. 

Let’s say I got the ar15.  What weight oil would I put in at what level.  And is there anything else I should replace. I o my have 2k miles on my 2018 mt07

topazsparrow

There's some really great suspension threads on the forums already that outline what your options are. Read through Pattonme's post history as well - that guy is a wealth of knowledge.

When it comes to the front end, the return on investment appears to dwindle as you spend more. The best bang for your buck is definitely going to be springs and emulators with some preload adjusters. Almost all of the more sophisticated solutions (like carts) have at least one or more issues holding them back from being great products - again check out Pattonme's post history for more info about that. I regret spending the money on cartridges.

The rear end is significantly easier to shop for with tons of reviews and established swaps on the forums already. Pretty hard to go wrong with any of the available options.

11 minutes ago, Jonnyaust said:

Let’s say I got the ar15.  What weight oil would I put in at what level.  And is there anything else I should replace. I o my have 2k miles on my 2018 mt07

With ar or emulators you have to choose oil weight to control rebound so it will depend what you want. 

Rebound is not adjustable with this option so oil weight is your adjustment. 

Air gap is also adjustment you can play with.

Archived