The MT-07 Forum

What ear plugs do you use

Jonnyaust

So I bought a full exhaust I love the sound but it’s just a little too loud at certain points and makes my ears ring.   So I have been looking at Pinlock earplugs and wonder if people use them and if not what do you use? and if it helps with exhaust noise ? Last thing is I plan on buying a communications system for music and talking to my buddies so I don’t want those cheap 20 cent foam earplugs that block everything out

If you want to try custom molded earplugs, search ebay for Radians ear plug kits. I had a couple pair that I really liked. I molded some earbuds in to one pair, but I did a bad job of it and it was super uncomfortable. 

As far as the comms go, I have one of those ebay units. I think it's called BTS2. Once I got the speakers situated correctly I no longer had a need for earplugs. I have my speakers snug against my ears, but no real pressure. When I first got the comm I thought the speakers could stand to be a bit louder, but with properly situated speakers it does great. I can't stand to listen to it at full volume. 

I think I have about 10k miles on my comm unit now. It's been flawless. BUT, I only use it for music and phone calls. I have no idea how well it works as an intercom, but I have no reason to think it'd be a problem. 

I use these erplugs

WWW.AMAZON.COM

Buy EarPeace HD Concert Ear Plugs - High Fidelity Hearing Protection for Music Festivals, DJs & Musicians (Regular, Red Case) on Amazon.com ✓ FREE SHIPPING on qualified orders

They work pretty well for wind noise, but do allow me to hear my SENA playing music or talking. I do not have an aftermarket exhaust though, so YMMV. 

• Premium Member

I just use el cheapo foam plugs I already have from when I go to the gun range. Most of the time my existing hearing loss keeps me from being uncomfortable.

topazsparrow

I use MEE audio IEM's from amazon hooked into my sena. I use reusable silicone earplug material around the flange to get a good seal.

I used to use custom mold-able silicone but invariably they shrink and on hot days the sweat from your ears gets in them and they slide around or come out. Earplugs that are half out are actually louder than no earplug at all in terms of wind noise.

WWW.AMAZON.COM

Buy MEE audio M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician's in-Ear Monitors with Detachable Cables (Clear) (1st Generation): Everything Else - Amazon.com ✓ FREE...

Bioears4.jpg

WWW.AMAZON.COM

Buy Alpine Hearing Protection Earplugs Motosafe, Race on Amazon.com ✓ FREE SHIPPING on qualified orders

71NfVtNYyXL._SL1500_.jpg

Ah but wait...I have them but I don't use them. 

The "Race" Version takes too much noise away, with standard MT-07 exhaust you don't hear your engine anymore. Thats quiet scary for me while driving :D  The "Tour" version should be a better choice. 

I bought this set of Alpines. They come with two filters, one for medium protection and one for high protection. I haven't tried the "high" because the mediums work fine for me. They don't block out or muffle all sound completely, they just reduce it enough to stop it from being too loud or annoying so you can still hear engine noises, etc. enough to keep you safe. A lot of good reviews on these.

WWW.AMAZON.COM

Amazon.com: Alpine Hearing Protection MusicSafe Classic Earplugs for Musicians: Musical Instruments

Beemer

AChineseBiker

Although I’m a new, wannabe rider (doing my Mod 1 next week in the UK), I’m surprisingly experienced in earplugs (jet lag):

Quies Wax earplugs. The trick is wax.

Nothing fancy for me. I cannot keep them in my ears. So, I make them up each time. Just half a facial tissue, a little dampened and a leather flap over my head to cover the ears and I am ready to go. 

Just do it! 

I prefer foam over the molded ones especially if I am riding on the dirt bike. The molded ones amplify helmet movement noise when riding on rough terrain. and bumpy roads.  I think that is what the noise is. I just get the ones from any box store. 

I personally use the cheap foam ones( from kroger), they do a good job and are easy to replace if you lose them. 

As for coms. My girlfriend and I bought the pack talk slim and we love them. She rides and harley and doesn't have a problem hearing me. As for me, I use my all the time when I'm riding from listening to music, using my GPS and the talk sound quality is great. The only person that knows I'm riding when I'm on the phone is my girlfriend besides her no one could tell I was riding, even at 80mph on the freeway.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived