The MT-07 Forum

Chain cleaner

topazsparrow

topazsparrow

TL;DW

IPONE chain cleaner seems to be the safest and most effective when considering retention of factory lubrication under the o/x/z rings.

• Premium Member

Kerosene works well for me, I don't know or can't tell if it has affected the o-rings. I can tell you it cleans like a champ, to me anyway almost 19K miles and I don't have any issues on OEM sprockets and chain!!!!

topazsparrow
17 hours ago, fzar said:

Kerosene works well for me, I don't know or can't tell if it has affected the o-rings. I can tell you it cleans like a champ, to me anyway almost 19K miles and I don't have any issues on OEM sprockets and chain!!!!

I use kerosene as well, but if you watch the video it explains that kerosene slips right past the o-rings like a sieve. That means it'll dilute and wash out the bulk of the lubricant the o-rings are trying to keep in. Greasing your chain is to keep the o-rings healthy so they can keep the factory grease in. It's almost impossible to replace that grease.

I never even considered that until the video, but it does make sense. I've got a new chain on my bike so I'm going to avoid kerosene this round and see if it makes a difference.

I like the FortNine Videos, but at least they are an online store that sells motorcycle stuff and maybe I am a little bit wary. I don't think they would suggest to take a paintbrush (omg!)and a bottle of petroleum thats even cheap to buy at the next gas station and is enough for 10 cleanings. 

Won't say they are wrong, I like a good working cleaning spray, but this is something I think you have to keep in mind.

I would say they are probably right about which cleaners they tested are good or bad but I can't agree that "IPONE chain cleaner seems to be the safest and most effective when considering retention of factory lubrication under the o/x/z rings" since not all the chain cleaners on the market were tested. 

I don't know where Dupont's chain cleaner stands but it's o-ring safe and how they missed it is beyond me.

Beemer

I stopped cleaning my chain maybe 2 years ago.  I just spray the dupont wax every 500-1000 miles and call it good.

7 hours ago, topazsparrow said:

I use kerosene as well, but if you watch the video it explains that kerosene slips right past the o-rings like a sieve. That means it'll dilute and wash out the bulk of the lubricant the o-rings are trying to keep in. Greasing your chain is to keep the o-rings healthy so they can keep the factory grease in. It's almost impossible to replace that grease.

I never even considered that until the video, but it does make sense. I've got a new chain on my bike so I'm going to avoid kerosene this round and see if it makes a difference.

My opinion based, on Ari's video and Lemmy's video is that kerosene and WD-40 are both safe as a cleaner.  You need something else for the lube after cleaning.

Lemmy says kerosene is good:

rest of the article is here:

How_to_Clean_and_Lube_Your_Chain_7.png
WWW.REVZILLA.COM

RevZilla's tips and tricks for the best way to clean and lube a motorcycle chain.

Archived