zooman72

Yoshi R-77 or Black Widow CL23R ???

zooman72

Ok, after spending way too much time reading through all of the forum posts in this subforum (and other locations), plus watching a bunch of Youtube videos on both, I am up against it - which one to choose?  I was initially looking at the Ixil LX3, and then the Ebay "Chinese special" (i.e. Anodizing Racing), but after further consideration, it is down to these two.  They are approximately $100 apart (~$560 for the Yoshimura and ~$460 for the Black Widow, both via Ebay), and I plan on running both with the db-reducing inserts.  The Black Widow comes with a carbon fiber can, that sweet blue tip, and is 230mm in length, plus is $100 cheaper.  The Yoshimura has a stainless can (w/ c.f. tip) that may be a bit longer (but can't find the length?) with a trapezoidal shape (more baffle volume?), which I assume would be a bit quieter, and cost $100 more.  Both look good in their own way, and anything looks better than the factory setup!  I am not looking for power or torque improvements, and am already running an EJK (which does not have settings provided for the Black Widow on their website, not that I have looked much yet - does have R-77 settings), but simply looking for a better look and sound.

What say you , the assembled masses - which would you choose (or have already chosen?) if only in the market for better sound and looks, and not wanting to break the bank?  As always, thanks in advance!

mossrider
Just now, zooman72 said:

Ok, after spending way too much time reading through all of the forum posts in this subforum (and other locations), plus watching a bunch of Youtube videos on both, I am up against it - which one to choose?  I was initially looking at the Ixil LX3, and then the Ebay "Chinese special" (i.e. Anodizing Racing), but after further consideration, it is down to these two.  They are approximately $100 apart (~$560 for the Yoshimura and ~$460 for the Black Widow, both via Ebay), and I plan on running both with the db-reducing inserts.  The Black Widow comes with a carbon fiber can, that sweet blue tip, and is 230mm in length, plus is $100 cheaper.  The Yoshimura has a stainless can (w/ c.f. tip) that may be a bit longer (but can't find the length?) with a trapezoidal shape (more baffle volume?), which I assume would be a bit quieter, and cost $100 more.  Both look good in their own way, and anything looks better than the factory setup!  I am not looking for power or torque improvements, and am already running an EJK (which does not have settings provided for the Black Widow on their website, not that I have looked much yet - does have R-77 settings), but simply looking for a better look and sound.

What say you , the assembled masses - which would you choose (or have already chosen?) if only in the market for better sound and looks, and not wanting to break the bank?  As always, thanks in advance!

Yosh.

• Haha 1

zooman72
4 minutes ago, mossrider said:

Yosh.

Ha! - nice and simple (or direct) - care to expound as to why?

mossrider
Just now, zooman72 said:

Ha! - nice and simple (or direct) - care to expound as to why?

I've had a ton of experience with it,

It's the best sounding (admittedly subjective),

They hold up great,

I've had exposure to many different manufactures trackside so see how they handle use, abuse, crashing, sound, etc,

Their service is second to none (send the can in for repair after crash, repack when needed, or upgrade to carbon etc), 

Oh, and that sound.

• Like 1

norcal616

Yoshi... Decent price with great durability and above avg power gains when tuned...

I'm partial to the "WORKS FINISH"coating Yoshi offers nowadays... It start out with this odd blue hue that turns into a golden bronze color and the fact it's basically enamel coating that helps protect the exhaust pipe from showing its age 😁...

• Like 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

zooman72
2 hours ago, mossrider said:

I've had a ton of experience with it,

It's the best sounding (admittedly subjective),

They hold up great,

I've had exposure to many different manufactures trackside so see how they handle use, abuse, crashing, sound, etc,

Their service is second to none (send the can in for repair after crash, repack when needed, or upgrade to carbon etc), 

Oh, and that sound.

Fair enough - customer service is tilted to Yoshimura with a presence in the U.S. (none for Black widow it appears) - appreciate the thoughtful response!

1 hour ago, norcal616 said:

Yoshi... Decent price with great durability and above avg power gains when tuned...

I'm partial to the "WORKS FINISH"coating Yoshi offers nowadays... It start out with this odd blue hue that turns into a golden bronze color and the fact it's basically enamel coating that helps protect the exhaust pipe from showing its age 😁...

Interesting, as I was wondering about that "Works" finish myself, although I thought I read that it was not a coating, but a "media blast finish" that gives the stainless steel a matte finish - thanks for responding!

norcal616
4 minutes ago, zooman72 said:

Interesting, as I was wondering about that "Works" finish myself, although I thought I read that it was not a coating, but a "media blast finish" that gives the stainless steel a matte finish - thanks for responding!

That more of a description of the feel/look of the coating... 

• Like 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

zooman72
10 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

That more of a description of the feel/look of the coating... 

OK, thanks, and will have to see what is available, as price appears to be the same between the "works" finish and the polished finish...

zooman72

Just to update, went with a Black Widow SL20R (stainless 200mm muffler/ silencer with large diameter blue tip) for $400 shipped via Ebay (3 days from Britain to Eastern U.S.!), and I love it!  Went on easily, looks great (blue tip matches my wheels), and sounds amazing w/ DB reducer left in.  Have the Dobeck EJK, initially set-up for stock exhaust w/ snorkel removed and O2 sensor disconnected, and it runs perfectly w/ no backfiring.  Went w/ the Black Widow for the looks and cost, but the sound is also just perfect for what I wanted.