The MT-07 Forum

differences in exhaust?

hometownguy71

hometownguy71

i just picked up a nice 17 with a m4 slip-on already installed.after doing some youtubing,it seems the only real differences in the brands is the build quality?is there a diff in header diameter?cleaner internal welds?y pipe configuration?what is the physical difference in a full system vs slip option?and are we only talking about a 1-3 hp difference after a tune?

fz07.jpg

3 hours ago, hometownguy71 said:

i just picked up a nice 17 with a m4 slip-on already installed.after doing some youtubing,it seems the only real differences in the brands is the build quality?is there a diff in header diameter?cleaner internal welds?y pipe configuration?what is the physical difference in a full system vs slip option?and are we only talking about a 1-3 hp difference after a tune?

You're pretty much dead on, on all counts. Any differences are minimal in tube size, welds, dangle angle, etc. The biggest variation is in sound. Performance is a couple horse one way or another as you noted. There is a significant diference in price tho. The cheapest overseas versions having widely fluctuating quality issues, some ok, others not so much. The more name brand models having more consistent quality control. (Performance not necessarily that different however) There realy isn't a slip on option however due to the way the stock pipe is constructed.

hometownguy71

thanks for the reply!i didnt install the m4 unit,however it sounds killer,imo..now i just need a tune!i contact hordpower and he is gonna tweek my ecu!im super pumped!after looking around,it just seems to me that the m4 is a pretty good value?i hope it last awhile!

Well, since the bike already came with the exhaust, it sounds like you are doing the logical thing - getting the ECU reflashed, if only to refine the response - chasing HP/ torque seems a bit misguided unless racing or tracking it.  Other than sound (a bit much for some), the only other negative I have read with the M4 slip-on is that it may need repacking a bit more frequently due to the short can.  I wouldn't be concerned with replacing it unless you were bothered by the sound....

I could be wrong but it seems to me that even on a race track a rider's skills would make more of a difference to their placement at the finish line more often than any exhaust. 

Beemer

On 3/12/2019 at 9:15 AM, Beemer said:

I could be wrong but it seems to me that even on a race track a rider's skills would make more of a difference to their placement at the finish line more often than any exhaust. 

No argument there, but that is not what I insinuated or meant - my point was that there is no real need to chase a couple of horsepower on the street as it would probably not be noticed, whereas an experienced track rider might notice and possibly benefit.

2 hours ago, zooman72 said:

No argument there, but that is not what I insinuated or meant - my point was that there is no real need to chase a couple of horsepower on the street as it would probably not be noticed, whereas an experienced track rider might notice and possibly benefit.

Ha! I see what happened, I posted right after you did and you thought I was replying to you. I assure you, I was replying to the OP and not you. When I respond to someone other than the OP I usually quote them in some way to make it clear what and who I was responding to. Now I know to quote the OP also. Just a little mix up, NP, it happens.

Beemer

You'll robably only see a few hp gain at most, however that is at the top end, not usually where road bikes spend most of their time.

You will see good midrange gains with an exhaust and a tune, and this can be felt on the road.

Yes, the improvemed sound is the biggest benefit on a road bike.

Archived