The MT-07 Forum

Suspension upgrade plan from stock

worker1

Hi all,

I have a 2015 FZ-07 and OEM suspension. I'm about 180 lbs, probably closer to 190 w/ gear.

I ride street and canyons. The weather here ranges from 60 to over 100 degrees.

I'm looking at a K-Tech Razor-R Lite shock, and K-Tech front shock springs w/ 15 weight oil.

Two k-tech springs are available and I reached out to K-tech for a recommendation on which one.

35-340 (6.0N-9.0N) and 

36-345 (8.0N-9.0N)

At my weight, the consensus seems to be that the front forks are the biggest concern. 

K-Tech springs and oil are probably around $170 or so. 

The Razor-R lite rear shock is $400.

I don't have a stand or anything so will need to take it to a shop, I'm not worried about their competency. I'm trying to keep this under $1,000. 

Does this seem like a good plan, or should I move up from springs & oil to emulators (something like traxxion ar-25)?

Since I'm not on the track and I want some comfort, I'm not sure which way to proceed. 

• Like 2

That sounds like a great start and you'll probably be perfectly happy with those mods for every day life and an occasional romp down a canyon road.  Rock solid plan.

Having said that I bet you'd be pee yourself happy if you added an emulator like race techs to the forks.  Youd still be under a grand.

The problem is if you're like me no matter what you do you're gonna wonder 'what if I'd only done x...'.

Then again if you'd only opted for Ohlins ttx.....

Good luck, I think you'll be fine!

• Like 1

Thanks. I just adjusted the rear shock to 5 (up from 3) and it's much more predictable. I have had 0 trust in the cornering ability of this bike. With the rear stiffer, I can feel how squirly the front is, especially when letting off the gas or getting on it. I may go with emulators on the front and see how I like it, and leave the back shock in place for a while.

Just now, worker1 said:

Thanks. I just adjusted the rear shock to 5 (up from 3) and it's much more predictable. I have had 0 trust in the cornering ability of this bike. With the rear stiffer, I can feel how squirly the front is, especially when letting off the gas or getting on it. I may go with emulators on the front and see how I like it, and leave the back shock in place for a while.

Once you get the suspension sorted and balanced that rocking horse goes away and you'll like the cornering. It doesn't necessarily take big money either, just decent stuff set for your weight/riding style. You'll get er.

• Like 2

My fz09 had that same pogo stick rocking horse bullshet. Yamaha really went cheap on the stock suspension but then again, the bike is low priced so ... 

I went with a company named Cogent Dynamics Their contact info is Phone: (828) 628 9025  raceparts@motocd.com

They have a great rear shock and the price is right. Let em know cruizin form the fz07 forum sent ya. 

13 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

My fz09 had that same pogo stick rocking horse bullshet. Yamaha really went cheap on the stock suspension but then again, the bike is low priced so ... 

I went with a company named Cogent Dynamics Their contact info is Phone: (828) 628 9025  raceparts@motocd.com

They have a great rear shock and the price is right. Let em know cruizin form the fz07 forum sent ya. 

Thanks! Really stoked for the recommendation.

babisstinson

Hi @worker1 ,  I have the K-Tech Razor-R Lite installed in my MT-07 and I believe it is worth the money.In the future you can upgrade it as well with an external reservoir.

I am thinking on what to do at the front end as well and after some search and discussions with different mechanics I believe Andreani cartridges is the best value for quality option. This is where i am going with my MT-07.

topazsparrow
11 hours ago, Cruizin said:

It's not just cost, it was just lazy engineering IMO. Pattonme has said a few times that the stock internals are actually not that bad, they just didn't think it through very well.

200 bucks in emulators and the right springs, and the stock suspension is fairly good.

They don't need to spend another 200 dollars at the factory to make it better, just adjust the valving. It seems to be more and more common on "budget" bikes to apparently have intentionally gimped suspension.

If the FZ-07 came with suspension that was bordering on good, it would probably really cut into the sale of higher end bikes. A big factor for considering the MT-10 over the 09 (for me) is simply because the suspension is amazing right out of the gate.

Edited by topazsparrow

• 1 year later...
On 3/10/2019 at 5:09 PM, worker1 said:

Hi all,

I have a 2015 FZ-07 and OEM suspension. I'm about 180 lbs, probably closer to 190 w/ gear.

I ride street and canyons. The weather here ranges from 60 to over 100 degrees.

I'm looking at a K-Tech Razor-R Lite shock, and K-Tech front shock springs w/ 15 weight oil.

Two k-tech springs are available and I reached out to K-tech for a recommendation on which one.

35-340 (6.0N-9.0N) and 

36-345 (8.0N-9.0N)

At my weight, the consensus seems to be that the front forks are the biggest concern. 

K-Tech springs and oil are probably around $170 or so. 

The Razor-R lite rear shock is $400.

I don't have a stand or anything so will need to take it to a shop, I'm not worried about their competency. I'm trying to keep this under $1,000. 

Does this seem like a good plan, or should I move up from springs & oil to emulators (something like traxxion ar-25)?

Since I'm not on the track and I want some comfort, I'm not sure which way to proceed. 

Hey @worker1 I'm curious how this upgrade went for you. I, too, am thinking on doing the same - Ktech springs and Razer R Lite rear shock. Which kTech fork springs did you end up going with? Did you select the "race" or "street" rear spring? I'm 180-185 and probably nearing 200lbs with gear and riding with panniers and tank bag at times (picture attached for example of added weight). I got ahold of Dave Moss and he said for my weight I should go with the Bel Ray 20w oil up front and keep the stock spring, as well as the stock height of the fork inside the triple tree. So I may just start out on the cheap end and do the 20w oil up front and get the rear shock, adjust for sag and roll with it like that this summer. Thanks for an update if you have one! 

Skawdee

CJNH5548.JPG

• Premium Member
cornerslider
On 3/10/2019 at 7:01 PM, mossrider said:

That sounds like a great start and you'll probably be perfectly happy with those mods for every day life and an occasional romp down a canyon road.  Rock solid plan.

Having said that I bet you'd be pee yourself happy if you added an emulator like race techs to the forks.  Youd still be under a grand.

The problem is if you're like me no matter what you do you're gonna wonder 'what if I'd only done x...'.

Then again if you'd only opted for Ohlins ttx.....

Good luck, I think you'll be fine!

@mossrider is right.... Take a look at the race tech emulators. I have them, and VERY pleased with the outcome. I made a post in the how-to section called "DIY front end"( with step-by-step pictures). If you take your time, it's very easy to. I highly recommend you take a look-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"