The MT-07 Forum

Dead Battery

philthyphil

philthyphil

I have a 2016 FZ-07. For the first two years of owning the bike, which I bought new, I used it as my only source of transportation. Last year I started going to school at a University that is a couple hour drive from my house, so I was forced to purchase a car. Not going to ride two hours in the rain and cold during the winter. So my bike mostly sat over this winter. I tried to start it up every week or so, and maybe ride it around the block a few times, but I got busy and neglected to do so for too long. The battery died.

Sooo.. I wanted to ride to school a couple weeks ago, and I rolled my bike down the driveway, and popped the clutch. Fired right up. After topping off tires, checking oil, and doing general inspection, I rode the bike to school. After a few hours worth of classes the bike was charged enough from the ride to start back up. I rode back home.

A couple days later I went to ride to school again, battery dead. Did the push start thing again, and it fired up, only this time it was dead after getting out of school. I had to push start it to get back home. I'm not real accustomed to how the charging system on a bike works. I'm assuming it doesn't like charge the battery fully back up like a car does with an alternator. I've also heard that small batteries, like those in bikes, don't like to be discharged, and that it can easily ruin them by doing so. I obviously need to purchase a battery tender/float charger.

My question is, should I also buy a regular battery charger and try to revive the batter that I have, or should I just chuck it and buy a new one, along with the float charger?

I would just replace the battery, get a good charger and rock on.

These little batteries in motorcycles are notorious for either lasting 5-6 years trouble free or 1 accidental total discharge. I've had them go both ways, you can't predict which way they'll go either. To save size and weight the manufacturers cut corners. It's not worth the hassle to resurrect it and I would never trust it again anyway.

P.S. I've had incredible luck with this little thing in my fz, 4 years never touched it. Maybe try the next size bigger since I'm not powering any lights or accessories.

20160410_152309.thumb.jpg.620fdd83ac6a42feb99fa261ef24f9b0.jpg   

If that is the original battery then I would bite the bullet and get a new one. It's cheap insurance so your not stuck on the side of the road. I don't think any battery likes to be left discharged for extended periods of time. As far maintaining a battery I recommend getting a Battery Tender Jr.  I've had mine for 6 years now and its still doing its job when needed. 

23 minutes ago, mossrider said:

P.S. I've had incredible luck with this little thing in my fz, 4 years never touched it. Maybe try the next size bigger since I'm not powering any lights or accessories.

Those Antigravities are awesome. I ran the little 4-cell version in my custom 1980 CB400N Scrambler and it kicked the bike to life (electric start) every time without fail for the 4 years I had the bike up until I sold it, all on the stock electrical/charging system.

My battery went for three years and could've went longer. I only changed mine out because I noticed a slight difference in how quick it turned over. As mentioned, good insurance! I would buy a new one and yes, a battery tender. *There is a big thread on batteries in case you're interested in a higher tech battery, which would require a specific tender to keep it charged.

Here's a bone. 

Beemer

Archived