The MT-07 Forum

Handlebar / Wheel Alignment

Blitz6804

So as some of you may know... Miku tossed me off at 20mph last week.

Well, now my handlebars aren't straight to make her go straight.  Does anyone have pictures of exactly which nuts on the triple tree I need to loosen to make it straight again?

I did the same. The mechanic stood astride the front wheel and pulled fhe bars straight.  All ok from then. (He told me they are supposed to have some potential movement).  

Just do it! 

I tried that... made it better, but not all the way fixed.  Aside of trying to wedge the wheel somewhere, don't know what else to do.  Figured if I loosened some bolts, might need less force.

• Premium Member

The top clamp most likely moved. Start by loosening the bolts on the top triple clamp, there is one allen bolt on each side. Stand in front of the bike with the front wheel between your legs and twist the handlebars until aligned, then tighten the pinch bolts.

If that doesn't work, you may need to loosen the upper and lower trople clamps bolts, the lower clamp has two allen bolts on each side. You will need to lift the front end up and take weight off of the front tire to do this, once you loosen all the clamps, the weight will cause the fork tubes to slide up. Once loose, hold the front wheel between your legs and twist the bars and then tighten the bolts.

If you want to check the fork tubes for bends, you can twist the upper fork tubes in the clamps with all of the clamp bolts loose. The tube should rotate freely 360 degrees without binding. If they get tight in a spot as you rotate them, the tube is bent.

Hope this helps.

Ed

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

Handlebar looks good, and if the tubes are bent, it's so minor I couldn't tell... and I think the issue might be with my lower clamp.  If you check the gaps on the pipes either side, they're not the same:

Brake side (1.2mm):

QfFdetN.jpg

Clutch side (3.5mm):

Vm2boJA.jpg

Above the top clamp, both sides look equal.  If it needs me to take it off the ground, I'll need to get the dealer to do it while I'm getting my inspection done.  (And exhaust put on.)

Archived