The MT-07 Forum

Non ABS rear tire on ABS FZ07?

RunningonMT

RunningonMT

Hey all-

So I had to purchase a new wheel after bending my original on a curb that didn’t know how to get out of the way.

The new wheel came with a tire on it so I didn’t think to look but it’s from a 2014 and doesn’t have the cast in threads for the abs disc on the rear. 

I would rather not pull the fuse to disable the system since I really like abs up front so I was wondering if anyone knew how this would affect the braking response? Will it throw codes, not work at all, or have I maybe found a way to make this bike a drifting machine? Any input is great since I have some more repairs to do and no time left until Sunday to test ride. 

Cheers!

How will the system know the bike speed when the front tire locks if there is no rear wheel sensor? Typically that is guessed with an accelerometer, but at best the system will not work as well without the rear wheel speed sensor. I'd also be very disappointed if it doesn't throw a light immediately when you start moving. 

That all being said, I am also guessing that will have a backup algorithm for a failed speed sensor and do its best, but the results will probably be inconsistent. 

Basically, I would pull the fuse because then you will know exactly how the bike will react, and predictable is safe. 

It will act like a bike without ABS. That's it. Mine has no ABS and works fine even when pushed.

Emergency braking will, however, will be entirely in you skilled or unskilled hands. Like most ABS systems nowdays, it is way better at emergency stopping than you are...wet or dry.

The only place where ABS is a liability is in the dirt, where any skilled dirt rider will be superior in almost all cases.

You can ( as far as I know) , change the brake lines to bypass the ABS . Direct Master cyls to calipers. Leave the ABS in electronically and it will all be happy...I think. Extra weight for nothing though ( my pet hate).

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

RunningonMT

Update-Took it out yesterday and today. Abs light is up and engine check light is up. Error code 42 shows up indicating speed sensor fault. Tested brakes at lower speeds. Rear wheel has no abs and front seemed to engage but i didn’t push it too hard. Just gonna have to ride it like the old ass bikes i learned on . Thanks for the responses!

Archived