The MT-07 Forum

Exhaust Flange(?) Fell Off

IronLeg

Hey guys, been reading this form for a while but this is my first post.

I was having some increased back fires from my exhaust (M4) for a couple of weeks. Didn't know the cause then I noticed the flange thing (don't know what it's call) from my exhaust header was dangling at the bottom of my exhaust (see picture). inspected and found the 2 nuts holding it on were missing. So I went down to the hardwear store and simply bought 2 stainless steel metric nuts and put them on. Couple of questions:

1) I'm new to moto maintenance, do I need to do anything fancy when I put the nuts back on e.g. certain torque spec, loctite? or add any kind of sealant to the connection of the exhaust header to the engine? 

2) How would something like this happen? Did the nuts just vibrate loose?

Thanks guys

IMG_20190305_140531.jpg

The manual calls for the use of some copper grease on the studs after cleaning and then tighten the nuts to 20Nm. Vibration does nasty things to fasteners and machines. And who knows what alse may have happened before it came loose.

No worries.

I suspect someone put that on (or didn't) down at Dysfunction Junction, where our bikes are assembled with expertise.

Beemer

Mossrider, thanks for the info.

The info from the manual, you get that from the owners manual (i couldn't find it) or the professional service manual?

Just now, IronLeg said:

Mossrider, thanks for the info.

The info from the manual, you get that from the owners manual (i couldn't find it) or the professional service manual?

My best friend, Haynes (service manual).

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, mossrider said:

My best friend, Haynes (service manual).

I have memories of these manuals being around everywhere you could see growing up. I do love that they are so distinguishable from anything else, I was glad to welcome a FZ/MT/XSR version back into my life. A tonne of information for the cost.

Archived