The MT-07 Forum

Clouded Speedometer?

redaerok

I'll post picture later since the Bike is in the storage.

Riding season is about to start and I had the bike purchased brand new 11 months ago.

Later in the season last year I started to notice my speedo was clouded/foggy on 30% of the area of the glass(is it glass? or Plastic) but if I were to describe it, it looks like residue left over after scotch tape was melted on there. It doesn't seem to be any chemical or residue left on there. I tried to clean it but it feels as though its etched into it. 

topazsparrow

It's plastic.

If the cloudyness looks like it's on the outside, it's likely because you or someone else cleaned it with a strong solvent at some point.

If it's cloudy on the inside due to moisture you could probably get it replaced under warranty if it's covered, otherwise you'll have to DIY fix it and reseal it or buy another unit.

• 1 month later...
  • Global Moderator

I have a related question.  Is there any way to get scratches out of the plastic short of ordering a new dash?  I have two scratches that are somewhat annoying.  I hate to pay to get a new dash as I know it will just get scratched as well.  I wish they had made it of glass. 

18 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

I have a related question.  Is there any way to get scratches out of the plastic short of ordering a new dash?  I have two scratches that are somewhat annoying.  I hate to pay to get a new dash as I know it will just get scratched as well.  I wish they had made it of glass. 

You can wet sand them, then buff the plastic with buffing compound.  Use colorsanding paper working down to 1500 or 2000 micron, then buff out with buffing compound and finish with polishing compound.  There are a bunch of videos on Youtube of people doing this.  I've done it myself several times on aircraft windshields which have to be much clearer than most things and have had excellent results.

I had a couple of fine scratches on my instrument panel that bugged me.  I put on a piece of clear vinyl the same size to fit and the scratches are invisible now.

• Global Moderator
20 minutes ago, D'ster said:

I had a couple of fine scratches on my instrument panel that bugged me.  I put on a piece of clear vinyl the same size to fit and the scratches are invisible now.

Thanks, I will try that first as it will be a lot less work.  @D'ster solution will be Plan B. 

Once you get your scratches fixed you may want to consider a screen protector. I keep saying I'll get one and never do. 

I don't know if this is the best one to get. It just popped up first in the search.

Archived