The MT-07 Forum

2019 Honda CB500X Review

bornagainbiker

The 19" front is going to make it a better dirt road adventure bike and a crappier road bike. You need to choose what's important to you.

I have th 2013 model and love it the road. That's what I bought it for.

The Husky TR650 came in a Strada ( street) and a Terra ( dirt version). I had the Strada. It had a 19" front wheel and the Terra had a 21". The Terra was excellent in the dirt and the Strada was good on the road ONLY when you were going in a straight line. Even with the best road tyres ( Michey Pilot road4's), the front 19 was a handful to chuck around corners with any conviction.

Having said that, the X was aimed at an "adventure" market and they are extensively used exactly for that purpose ( almosty a cult following). The change to a 19 will be welcome for many users. A 21 would probably be less of a compromise though and there are quite a few that have fitted exactly that size.

The suspension is still as crap as ours stock though ( ignore the "improved" claim, it still sucks)

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

topazsparrow
56 minutes ago, gregjet said:

The 19" front is going to make it a better dirt road adventure bike and a crappier road bike. You need to choose what's important to you.

I have th 2013 model and love it the road. That's what I bought it for.

The Husky TR650 came in a Strada ( street) and a Terra ( dirt version). I had the Strada. It had a 19" front wheel and the Terra had a 21". The Terra was excellent in the dirt and the Strada was good on the road ONLY when you were going in a straight line. Even with the best road tyres ( Michey Pilot road4's), the front 19 was a handful to chuck around corners with any conviction.

Having said that, the X was aimed at an "adventure" market and they are extensively used exactly for that purpose ( almosty a cult following). The change to a 19 will be welcome for many users. A 21 would probably be less of a compromise though and there are quite a few that have fitted exactly that size.

The suspension is still as crap as ours stock though ( ignore the "improved" claim, it still sucks)

skimping heavily on the suspension seems to be the M.O. of japanese bikes in the last few years.

It's cheaper to upgrade the suspension than an engine I suppose... but it's frustrating when shopping for a new bike to think that in a year you're going to want to spend another 500 - 1500 on new suspension parts (plus the hours and hours researching options).

Archived