The MT-07 Forum

Mileage after the fuel gauge starts flashing???

fastfredyb

Mileage after the fuel gauge starts flashing???  I can't find a general number anywhere online.  It would be nice to know. I've only driven a couple miles after it flashes but was wondering what others have experienced.  Thanks all... Ride on

• Premium Member

Sorry I can't answer your exact question, as i have yet to get it to the flashing point...but kind of on the same topic, i can't go very far on a full tank, so i wouldn't imagine it would be very long. I have just over 300 miles, and need to fill up for the 3rd time already. (one bar left on gauge)

Check out my FZ07 YouTube Channel!! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClbkk7kPsXp-lhZ_XD_aFPQ

• Global Moderator

I fill up when the last segment starts flashing and it takes about 2.7 gallons, which means I have about a gallon left. I think a rule of thumb would be you have as many miles left as your mpg. Of course this assumes that there is 3.7 gallons usable fuel. I expect there is some unusable fuel, so it is probably a bit less.

It starts flashing with 1 gallon left, but as mjh937 mentions, that entire gallon is not usable (nor do most people actually get a full 3.7 gallons total in the tank when refueling). My rule of thumb is about 30 miles on F-trip, and I think that's a hair conservative.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Thanks everybody, I commute and I don't want to freak out every time when I the gauge starts flashing. I've consistently heard the flashing starts when you have a gallon left and it would be safe to assume that about 25-35 miles on the highway would be good. Thanks again for the feedback

If you're the type that gets freaked out about running out of fuel, just carry extra fuel in a backpack. I do this all the time riding my Honda Grom. It only has a 1.2 gallon tank so I use an empty 2 liter bottle in my backpack when I need it.

When it starts to flash change up to 6th and cruise about 45/50 mph and you
will do about 40 miles, a slow 40 miles is lots better than a push of any
distance, second class riding is better than first class pushing any day.

• Premium Member

This seems to be a Yamaha feature. My old 2009 1300 vstar tourer had the same feature. When the main gauge goes empty, a "Reserve gauge" starts ( it behaves like a third trip odometer). 30 miles of reserve is a good rule of thumb, and I suspect more is possible, but why risk it?
Physics Prof. Be aware :o:)

• 2 weeks later...

I did a Cramer run and at 155 miles (30 of which the light was flashing) I gassed up putting in 3.1 gal giving spot on 50mpg, which was exactly what the onboard computer displayed. I would dare not go further than 175 miles without my hiking boots on.

Archived