The MT-07 Forum

Throtle on/off feeling above 5000rpm

Perleques

Hi all!

I'm loving my mt07, except the jolt you feel when opening the throtle from closed position above 5000rpm. 

it's impossible to open the throtle smoothly without disturbing the bike balance.

I heard this is due to the fuel cut off on the bike, and matter of fact, the truyh is that you can feel the engine braking way harder above 5k rpm.

Just adding in that my chain slack is well adjusted (by factory spec on the yamaha dealer ) so it's not drivetrain related. 

Has anyone solved this?Is it enough to turn off  the fuel cut off?

thank you guys! 

Many people have solved this by way of this vendor on our forum > "2WDW". They're on the home page, first listed under "supporting vendor". They eliminate the fuel cut-off and a number of other things that also help toward reducing engine braking, etc, etc. Read up on them and see for yourself what all they can do for you. GL and stay frosty!

• Like 1

Beemer

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Beemer said:

Many people have solved this by way of this vendor on our forum > "2WDW". They're on the home page, first listed under "supporting vendor". They eliminate the fuel cut-off and a number of other things that also help toward reducing engine braking, etc, etc. Read up on them and see for yourself what all they can do for you. GL and stay frosty!

Agreed, hit up @2wheeldynoworks on the vendor list. They did my ecu flash and I can tell you they do a lot more than the fuel cut-off, its night and day the difference. I honestly couldn't believe it when I re- installed my ecu, pulled the snorkel, and thats with a stock exhaust.

• Like 2

Prior to owning my MT-07, I had an XSR900 and also an R3 (still have the R3, its up for sale). This is SO much worse on the XSR and the R3 than the MT-07. After owning the other two, I'd planned to get the injector cut flashed out before I'd even ridden an MT-07 because I was expecting it to be just as bad, if not worse than the others so assumed I'd need to get it done.

The first time I took the MT-07 out I was prepared, and then actually shocked to find that the injector cut is nowhere near as noticable. I don't even think I'm going to bother with a flash at all. On the XSR and the R3 you couldn't actually modulate your speed on downhill descents, as you'd either be engine braking rapidly, or accelerating downhill. It was a constant on the throttle, off the throttle affair.

On 3/3/2019 at 11:25 PM, kylerhsm said:

Prior to owning my MT-07, I had an XSR900 and also an R3 (still have the R3, its up for sale). This is SO much worse on the XSR and the R3 than the MT-07. After owning the other two, I'd planned to get the injector cut flashed out before I'd even ridden an MT-07 because I was expecting it to be just as bad, if not worse than the others so assumed I'd need to get it done.

The first time I took the MT-07 out I was prepared, and then actually shocked to find that the injector cut is nowhere near as noticable. I don't even think I'm going to bother with a flash at all. On the XSR and the R3 you couldn't actually modulate your speed on downhill descents, as you'd either be engine braking rapidly, or accelerating downhill. It was a constant on the throttle, off the throttle affair.

worse!? oh God! I must been very lucky with my previous bikes, as they were smooth as butter (however they were 4 cylinders bikes) 

• Like 1

FZ07R WaNaB
On 3/3/2019 at 6:25 PM, kylerhsm said:

The first time I took the MT-07 out I was prepared, and then actually shocked to find that the injector cut is nowhere near as noticable.

This has gotten my curiousity. What year is your MT-07? I ask this as my 2016 US FZ-07 was a freak show in a VERY bad/dangerous way with respect to engine braking. There are many people on this forum who have complained that the engine braking on the FZ-07 was the worst they have ever felt.

As I have never ridden a XSR900 or a R3, I have no point of reference. My curiousity is whether your bike is either a US 2018/9 MT-07 or a non-US MT-07. Either way, it sounds like Yamaha is getting their sh#t together on that dangerous quirk of at least my FZ-07.

BTW, as Beemer and fzar said, the 2WDW flash eliminates the problem, and gives you a very smooth running bike. Within a 1/2 block, I knew it was a completely different motor!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

As I have never ridden a XSR900 or a R3, I have no point of reference. My curiousity is whether your bike is either a US 2018/9 MT-07 or a non-US MT-07. Either way, it sounds like Yamaha is getting their sh#t together on that dangerous quirk of at least my FZ-07.

Mine is a 2016 (MY17) full power model in Australia, called the MT07 HO (High Output). The majority of MT07's here are 660cc 52hp restricted models, so mine is what the rest of the world has.

I'm not saying that the MT07 is by any means smooth. It is nowhere near as smooth as any of the 20 carbed bikes I've owned. But it's nowhere near as bad as the R3, which was the shittiest fuelled bike I've ever owned or ridden with a savage on/off injector cut which caused ridiculous engine braking. It feels like the fuel shuts off completely, and then no matter how gradually you reopen the throttle, once it registers being open agains it kicks straight up to 5%. You literally cannot maintain a constant speed down hill. You're either engine braking heavily and reducing speed, or running at 5% throttle opening and speeding up.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

This has gotten my curiousity. What year is your MT-07? I ask this as my 2016 US FZ-07 was a freak show in a VERY bad/dangerous way with respect to engine braking. There are many people on this forum who have complained that the engine braking on the FZ-07 was the worst they have ever felt.

BTW, as Beemer and fzar said, the 2WDW flash eliminates the problem, and gives you a very smooth running bike. Within a 1/2 block, I knew it was a completely different motor!

My model is the EU model 2016. Never had the chance to try another mother from another so i don't have any comparison.

Already tried to complain near the dealership whoever they told me that motorcycle is perfect (as it should be from the factory)

• 2 months later...
Wintersdark
On 3/3/2019 at 3:04 AM, Perleques said:

Hi all!

I'm loving my mt07, except the jolt you feel when opening the throtle from closed position above 5000rpm. 

it's impossible to open the throtle smoothly without disturbing the bike balance.

I heard this is due to the fuel cut off on the bike, and matter of fact, the truyh is that you can feel the engine braking way harder above 5k rpm.

Just adding in that my chain slack is well adjusted (by factory spec on the yamaha dealer ) so it's not drivetrain related. 

Has anyone solved this?Is it enough to turn off  the fuel cut off?

thank you guys! 

Yep.  Known and common issue.  Some people like it, personally I hated it because it made cornering stressful at higher RPMs (and you often want to be there to have maximum torque coming out without needing to shift).  Lived with it for a year, and just last night flashed my ECU with a FTECU bike side harness + @2wheeldynoworks tune disabling the injector decel cutoff.  

Night and day.  Now I can roll smoothly on and off throttle at any RPM, with only expected engine braking at very high RPM.  No more toggle-like engine brake or acceleration choice upsetting bike balance in corners.   The kit's worth it even if that's the only thing you do... but I strongly recommend the 2WDW tune as well, as there's a noticeable difference to the bike overall (and it ensures you can get an updated tune at any time you want to change intake/exhaust components, as updates are free!)

So, so much better without the excessive engine braking.

Also: I've a 2018 model.  It was the strongest engine braking I'd every experienced on a motorcycle [that didn't have a seized engine] and I've ridden a great many bikes over the last 25-30 years.  So, yeah, it's not just you, and it's not just your bike.  They all do that.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I still have stock intake and exhaust but I installed the bike side harness and got the 2WDW tune. Huge difference, and will worth it!

Engine braking is manageable, the bike feels faster and also smoother. It might just be me, but when the stock exhaust sounds louder after the time as well. Best $500 I spent on a bike so far, close second being the Corbin seat.

15 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Lived with it for a year, and just last night flashed my ECU with a FTECU bike side harness + @2wheeldynoworks tune disabling the injector decel cutoff.  

11 hours ago, Terry_b said:

I still have stock intake and exhaust but I installed the bike side harness and got the 2WDW tune. Huge difference, and will worth it!

Hi Guys, thank you for your feedback.

Where do you guys got the 2WDW tune file?

Thank you :)

Wintersdark
53 minutes ago, Perleques said:

Hi Guys, thank you for your feedback.

Where do you guys got the 2WDW tune file?

Thank you :)

From them, @2wheeldynoworks.  They'll set you up with one accounting for all the mods you've made on your individual bike.  

2wheeldynoworks.com

Normally, you mail them your ECU, they mail it back flashed.  This is the cheaper approach, as you won't need your own FTECU harness and license to flash the file yourself.  I elected to get the kit, FTECU license, and do it myself because I'm flatly terrified of my ECU getting stuck in customs.

Wintersdark

I should note, you can change the injector decel cut without a 2wdw tune.  You could just buy the FTECU bike side kit and do that yourself very easily.

However, it's a lot cheaper to mail in your ECU, and the 2wdw tunes come with a lot more than just that.  If I was American, I'd certainly have done that vs paying for both the tune and the FTECU kit.