The MT-07 Forum

REAR STOP LIGHT SWITCH - 2016 FZ07

user1

Have you had any trouble with the rear brake light switch not illuminating when the brake lever is depressed? 

I noticed my brake light was not working when the foot lever was depressed. 

First, I checked the adjustment on the rear brake foot lever which was good per the manual.

Then I used the rotating nut on the break switch - clockwise and counter clock wise to adjust the off-on-off function of the switch - no luck.

Thinking the switch was bad, I checked online to find the part number. Nowhere on any of the Yamaha parts catalogs was a rear brake light switch shown or listed.

I called around locally - not luck. I contacted online Yamaha parts dealers - not luck there either.

Q: Where can I get a new rear brake light switch, OR what might I be missing when I attempted to adjust the switch according to the Yamaha Service Manual.

thanks.....

Just now, user1 said:

Have you had any trouble with the rear brake light switch not illuminating when the brake lever is depressed? 

I noticed my brake light was not working when the foot lever was depressed. 

First, I checked the adjustment on the rear brake foot lever which was good per the manual.

Then I used the rotating nut on the break switch - clockwise and counter clock wise to adjust the off-on-off function of the switch - no luck.

Thinking the switch was bad, I checked online to find the part number. Nowhere on any of the Yamaha parts catalogs was a rear brake light switch shown or listed.

I called around locally - not luck. I contacted online Yamaha parts dealers - not luck there either.

Q: Where can I get a new rear brake light switch, OR what might I be missing when I attempted to adjust the switch according to the Yamaha Service Manual.

thanks.....

Here's the part number;

In case it is a clue: I adjusted my lever higher to suit me and that put the brake light on permanently. Another adjustment was needed to put that right (which I did not do). 

Just do it! 

repy to mossrider:

thanks for the part number. i was not looking in the rear brake master cylinder exploded view....!

If I recall, this is a common problem on the FZ07.  The quick, easy solution is to 'shorten' the spring between the brake lever and the switch.  This reminds me that I need to do that on my bike.  I've lubed the switch a few times and it helps, but tweaking the spring should solved the problem altogether.  

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

I found the FZ-07 to be be touchier than most.  As long as it is not on all the time that is good enough for me since I use the front brake to stop anyway.

Archived