The MT-07 Forum

Adjusting rear shock...basic question

Slee

Hi all

I have a 2017 MT07.

I just tried to adjust the rear shock with the Yamaha supplied C spanner. It seems incredibly stiff and I got no free movement when applying force.

Am I missing something simple? I had the bike on a paddock stand at the time. Does it need to be jacked up so there's no pressure on the back end when you adjust?

Any ideas appreciated

Slee

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

I have a 2016, and I adjusted mine with the bike on the side stand--it was a little stiff moving, but not too bad.

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

I've clamped either large vise grips or pipe wrenches onto handles to get more power/better leverage and as barbaric as it may seem, it worked like a charm. GL, whatever you decide to try!

Beemer

Thanks all. I checked the sag (which is why I was messing about with it) and it is exactly what it should be so no need to alter. Had no joy moving the setting though so I think I'll raise it with the dealer while still under warranty.

Slee

Yeah rear shocks are usually under a lot of pressure whether you've loaded up the rear of the bike or not. As Beemer said, a little bit of leverage can go a long way, and you're much less likely to slip and beat the crap out of your fingers.

Archived