The MT-07 Forum

MT-07 - used 2015 vs new 2018

mule

Hi all. I'm a total newbie trying to make a call on which learner bike to buy. This is in New Zealand where Yamaha offers learner approved variants of the MT-07 (at 655cc). Otherwise I believe the bikes are the same as the standard versions.

I've test ridden the 2018 and really liked it. Was about to pull the trigger when the dealership informed me they have a 2015 used bike in stock. 10,000km, full service records, and is supposedly immaculate (I'm taking a look later).

What I'm trying to decide is whether a used 2015 at $8000NZ is a better deal than a new 2018 at $11500. I'm having a hard time finding spec comparisons to see what's changed. I have no problem buying a used bike, so really it just comes down to: have there been 30% worth of improvements in the last few years?

Would love to hear some opinions. Cheers.

• Premium Member

The changes are mostly cosmetic. The shock on the 18 is supposed to be a bit stiffer, but not a league apart. The seat is shaped different too.  That magical CP2 engine is the heart of both bikes. Here in the states, you could get the older bike without ABS, but it comes standard on the 18+ models. I think that is different in other parts of the world.

• Thanks 1

I believe the forks are stiffer too - more 'sport'-like.  The front light is a little different; indicators moved.  The value of changes comes nowhere near 30% better in my view.  This bike is all about the engine, with everything else in a supporting role.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just do it! 

+1 on what robbo10 said. I have a 18' MT07 and ridden a 16' model and it would be hard press to tell the difference in riding both back 2 back. Like stated above one key difference(in the states at-least) is that ABS is standard on the 18'+ models. I have been riding for 10+ years and have to say it being the first bike I owned with ABS I was a bit skeptical until it saved my azz a couple of times. Some will say ABS it isn't needed with practice but my philosophy is: it's alot lot condoms, I rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Which ever year you go for you wont be disappointed. 

• Thanks 1

Go second hand. Being a learner restricted bike (like here in Australia) you'll probably want to upgrade one day, and when you go to sell, you'll be glad you didn't buy brand new.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Dropped by the shop and took it for a test ride. Felt great except for quite squishy rear brake. But apparently they are yet to do the 10000km service and will bleed them at that point. Otherwise was hard to pick apart from my memory of riding the 2018.

Agreed on the resale point. 8k is about bottom of the price range for similar aged bikes I've seen, so if I sell it in a year I can probably get back most of what I paid (assuming I don't drop it).

So I bought the bike. Pick it up next week after its service. Thanks for the quick responses and advice. Can't wait to get back on it and looking forward to learning more.

• Like 2

Congrats. I've had my MT-07 HO for a month now and out of the 30 road bikes I've gone through in the last 10 years, it's easily in the top 5.

The rear brake is feeble so you might find it the same when you pick it up! However, depending on how you ride, you will enjoy the benefit of considerable engine braking and an adequate front brake.

Just do it! 

• 2 months later...