The MT-07 Forum

Gas mileage after tune sucks

Keatodylan

So I used 2.2 gallons and went 98.8 miles post tune. That's an improvement over the stock ecu at 46.74 mpg. The computer isn't as optimistic. As soon as I hit 60 mph or above it drinks gas like sailors guzzle beer. I found reinstalling the snorkle made the bike run better and maybe helped out on the mileage. I started off with 91 octane and topped off the tank with 87 octane. It seems fine pulls hard up to 103 mph with my fat ass on it. I let off after that. I took the db killer off and it runs better especially during decel. 

These bikes really do suck fuel when cruising at higher speeds. The majority of my riding is back roads where 60mph around a corner would be considered pro level hauling ass. I'm usually in 2nd/3rd gear and on the throttle hard. My average mpg is about 52. 

On a road trip to Alabama one summer we we're flying down the interstate maintaining about 80-85 mph average speed. My fuel mileage stayed in the upper 30's the whole time even though we were just cruising and not hammering the throttle open in Hoon mode as usual. 

I noticed this too after my 2WDW tune but it’s easily explained by the harder acceleration from a standstill at lights and underpasses. Basically, you want to hear the exhaust and by doing so you cause more fuel to be used. The difference between 4.5L/100 and 5.1L/100 is worth it.

Does the snorkel delete make enough of a difference for it to be tuned for? I'm already have my bike tuned for a snorkel delete and an akra exhaust but I'm thinking about put the snorkel back on or at least cutting it down some.

Just now, foochi said:

Does the snorkel delete make enough of a difference for it to be tuned for? I'm already have my bike tuned for a snorkel delete and an akra exhaust but I'm thinking about put the snorkel back on or at least cutting it down some.

I cut mine down 1/2” after the tune. However completely removing it or keeping it in requires some tuning. It affects the intake and any time you mess with it, your bike should be tuned to the specifics. Think of it like the lungs of your engine.

• Thanks 1

Just now, foochi said:

I tried many combos with different air filters and the snorkel, 1/2 snorkel or no snorkel. What I ended up with, and think is great, is the snorkel completely removed and a MWR filter added. The MWR filter gives the FZ/MT a great suck sound, as in it sorta sounds badass. It did not affect my tune at all although, like you, 2WDW tuned my ECU for no snorkel.

• Thanks 1

Just now, FZ not MT said:

I tried many combos with different air filters and the snorkel, 1/2 snorkel or no snorkel. What I ended up with, and think is great, is the snorkel completely removed and a MWR filter added. The MWR filter gives the FZ/MT a great suck sound, as in it sorta sounds badass. It did not affect my tune at all although, like you, 2WDW tuned my ECU for no snorkel.

Nice. That nice intake sucking sound is there with just the snorkel removed but it fights with the loud “yamatick”. I guess adding it even if I cut it down will just be me doing something for nothing lol