The MT-07 Forum

Gas mileage after tune sucks

Keatodylan

Before my tune and akra carbon i was getting around 48-52 mpg average on the dash since tune and exhaust my dash now says low 30s. I am pretty hard on the bike atleast from a stop but i dont really go much over 60 most of the time almost all of my riding is city.

I got the tune from 2WDW and removed my snorkel and made sure to tell them I have an akra carbon and removed snorkel.

2018 if that makes any difference.

• Premium Member

The dash board MPG is kinda wonky... majority of us figure out MPG by miles accumulated between fill ups divided by amount of gas put back in... might have to do this a few times to get an avg... 

Your MPG drops after having the ECU reflashed... factory OEM mapping is on the slightly lean side to achieve emissions ratings and get high mpg... Reflashed the ECU tends to richen the map up for power/better reliability, smoother deceleration( deceleration injection turn back on)... 

MPG is also more dependent on your right wrist...

• Like 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

3 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

The dash board MPG is kinda wonky... majority of us figure out MPG by miles accumulated between fill ups divided by amount of gas put back in... might have to do this a few times to get an avg... 

Your MPG drops after having the ECU reflashed... factory OEM mapping is on the slightly lean side to achieve emissions ratings and get high mpg... Reflashed the ECU tends to richen the map up for power/better reliability, smoother deceleration( deceleration injection turn back on)... 

MPG is also more dependent on your right wrist...

Im aware of that but I was looking around the forum and people were saying they lost like maybe 5 mpg max, as i said im fairly hard on it sometime but I still think im pretty sensible with it, I rode just about as hard as i do now before the reflash/exhaust as well so i was only expecting that few miles drop, but ill keep track of it by fill up for a few times to see if the dash is accurate. Thanks

• Premium Member

Yeah 5mpg seems to be the avg loss... Also make sure your running on premium pump gas, IIRC thats what 2wdw uses... Also if you live in an area with summer/winter blends of gas- winter blend gas is not as good as summer blend gas... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

2 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

Yeah 5mpg seems to be the avg loss... Also make sure your running on premium pump gas, IIRC thats what 2wdw uses... Also if you live in an area with summer/winter blends of gas- winter blend gas is not as good as summer blend gas... 

Im in California so i dont believe we have different blends, and I always use 91 because thats the best we can get at the pump here

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Keatodylan said:

Before my tune and akra carbon i was getting around 48-52 mpg average on the dash since tune and exhaust my dash now says low 30s. I am pretty hard on the bike atleast from a stop but i dont really go much over 60 most of the time almost all of my riding is city.

I got the tune from 2WDW and removed my snorkel and made sure to tell them I have an akra carbon and removed snorkel.

2018 if that makes any difference.

Almost anything you do to an engine to increase power, is gonna hurt MPG.  

Besides MPG, how do you like the tune? Like the extra power? Notice smoother throttle response? Anything good to say about it?   Because honestly, thousands have gotten their tunes from 2wdw on our forums, and none of us were thinking about MPG when we ordered our tunes and exhaust.  We do it for all of the other benefits that come with performance upgrades.  

• Like 4

If it were a tune to improve on a stock bike (stock pipe) then you would have a legit complaint. Besides, being hard on the gas from a stop does not help. Try going easy from stops and be more gradual getting up to speed and see if that helps. GL!

Beemer

21 hours ago, Cruizin said:

Almost anything you do to an engine to increase power, is gonna hurt MPG.  

Besides MPG, how do you like the tune? Like the extra power? Notice smoother throttle response? Anything good to say about it?   Because honestly, thousands have gotten their tunes from 2wdw on our forums, and none of us were thinking about MPG when we ordered our tunes and exhaust.  We do it for all of the other benefits that come with performance upgrades.  

love the tune, im only making this post because I saw most people were seeing only about 5 mpg drop and im seeing around 10 mpg

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Kind of crazy to argue a performance mod lost mpg.... AND you get on it hard but only to 60 lol. I'mma tell the next cop that. I'll report back

On 2/27/2019 at 11:09 PM, Keatodylan said:

love the tune, im only making this post because I saw most people were seeing only about 5 mpg drop and im seeing around 10 mpg

Mine dropped about 10mpg also.   Was mid 40s down to low 30s.  I do mostly city riding.  I thought I was the only one

• Premium Member
cornerslider

One benefit (probably the only benefit) of going the PCV route, is that it still retains the "ECO" mode for cruising. I went the PVC route with the Hordpower intake, with Hords PCV map. My bike pulls like a freight train when I hammer it.... I also got the benefit of almost 60 mpg when I put it back on the street last year. (It is now my dedicated track only bike for 2020). Honestly, if I had to do it over, I'd probably go for the ECU flash/tune. But for those that want the horsepower to let it rip up a track, and not lose MPG on the street the PVC might be a good option-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

2wheeldynoworks
On 1/3/2020 at 10:24 PM, cornerslider said:

One benefit (probably the only benefit) of going the PCV route, is that it still retains the "ECO" mode for cruising. I went the PVC route with the Hordpower intake, with Hords PCV map. My bike pulls like a freight train when I hammer it.... I also got the benefit of almost 60 mpg when I put it back on the street last year. (It is now my dedicated track only bike for 2020). Honestly, if I had to do it over, I'd probably go for the ECU flash/tune. But for those that want the horsepower to let it rip up a track, and not lose MPG on the street the PVC might be a good option-

This is actually not correct. The "Eco" light on the dash means absolutely nothing. It is simply a logic circuit in the dash that illuminates when you're below a specific throttle vs RPM threshold. Our ECU flash maintains the closed loop function of the O2 sensor on these bikes, so it will trim for fuel efficiency during light throttle. 

The majority of the fuel economy loss people experience is from the disabling of the fuel cut on deceleration. This is what causes the massively exaggerated engine braking sensation when you let off the throttle with the bike in completely stock configuration. With this disabled, the injectors are allowed to ramp down slowly as RPM decreases instead of shutting off like a light switch. 

Most people experience some fuel economy loss with our ECU flash purely for this reason. There's no escaping it, even on a completely stock bike, if you'd like the engine braking smoothed out. Those that are experiencing big fuel economy losses are almost always simply riding the bike much more aggressively than they were before purely out of enjoyment of the improved performance! 

As always, we're happy to help, so if anyone ever experiences a fuel economy change that they don't believe is appropriate for their modifications, feel free to give us a call.

-2WDW

• Like 3

Funny you mention the decel cut. I have installed a slipper and was wondering if I should have it reflashed back? Any insight is appreciated. 

2wheeldynoworks
Just now, 1tondriver said:

Funny you mention the decel cut. I have installed a slipper and was wondering if I should have it reflashed back? Any insight is appreciated. 

Definitely not! There's absolutely no reason for a fuel cut on decel in terms of performance and throttle response; it is only present emissions purposes.

The slipper will definitely help on decel into corners after one, or multiple, downshifts either way! It is there to allow the rear wheel speed and transmission output shaft speed to equalize with as little disruption to the chassis as possible. Re-enabling the decel fuel cut will simply require more slip to accomplish the same goal.

• Thanks 1

Just now, 1tondriver said:

Not to horn in your question to 2WDW, but, leave it the hell alone, lol. Mine is flashed and I have a slipper. The payoff is in on-off throttle in and outta corners or in heavy traffic. It's butter smooth. No hicups, burbles, bobbles, nothing but instant stonk. Leave it alone. Over to 2WDW

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, 2wheeldynoworks said:

This is actually not correct. The "Eco" light on the dash means absolutely nothing. It is simply a logic circuit in the dash that illuminates when you're below a specific throttle vs RPM threshold. Our ECU flash maintains the closed loop function of the O2 sensor on these bikes, so it will trim for fuel efficiency during light throttle. 

The majority of the fuel economy loss people experience is from the disabling of the fuel cut on deceleration. This is what causes the massively exaggerated engine braking sensation when you let off the throttle with the bike in completely stock configuration. With this disabled, the injectors are allowed to ramp down slowly as RPM decreases instead of shutting off like a light switch. 

Most people experience some fuel economy loss with our ECU flash purely for this reason. There's no escaping it, even on a completely stock bike, if you'd like the engine braking smoothed out. Those that are experiencing big fuel economy losses are almost always simply riding the bike much more aggressively than they were before purely out of enjoyment of the improved performance! 

As always, we're happy to help, so if anyone ever experiences a fuel economy change that they don't believe is appropriate for their modifications, feel free to give us a call.

-2WDW

Thank you for the education... Apparently I got some bad information along the way. You would obviously know more than me about it. I appreciate you explaining it, rather than "trolling" me. Keep up the good work. I've heard nothing but the best about 2WDW.

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

2wheeldynoworks
25 minutes ago, cornerslider said:

Thank you for the education... Apparently I got some bad information along the way. You would obviously know more than me about it. I appreciate you explaining it, rather than "trolling" me. Keep up the good work. I've heard nothing but the best about 2WDW.

Of course! We are always happy to help and urge anyone that ever has any questions to reach out to us directly so misinformation doesn't run rampant. 

-2WDW

• 2 years later...

I just installed my flashed CPU from 2WDW. I added a pipe and  a K&N filter removed the snorkle. I've put about 12 miles on it and I'm impressed. It didn't run bad before even with the snorkle removed but my gas mileage has never been that great. I bought it used from a dealership with a stock exhaust. If the stock exhaust sounded better I would probably still use it. 
  I was getting 45 mpg stock but it smelled like it was running rich. It ran fine, but throttle control wasn't very forgiving. I added a pipe, fuel economy dropped to 42 mpg (measured at the pump for refill) the gauge was accurate enough. I added the K&N airfilter removed the snorkle and took it for a spin.
  Overall It had a better response off idle, a little louder, it felt softer when you wacked it open. I felt it was time to have it flashed. I hate being without my bike. I read every article , every comment on this board regarding the flash process. What I gathered is I should have the parts ready to install prior to getting a flash. Otherwise I would need to have it reflashed after most major mods to intake or exhaust. I sent my cpu off on Monday, it came back today. Only 5 days and 250 bucks! What a deal.
  I was elated that it was coming today. I put it back together and took it for a spin. It was awesome the bike is quieter,(good thing in my book, I love the sound, it doesn't have to be so loud for my taste, I live and ride in the country. traffic and stop lights are an option. I filled up the tank with 92 octane instead of the regular I usually use. It ran just fine getting to the station but it was driving through my neighborhood first. So question one, what's the summation of octane after the flash? After 12 miles of winding flat country roads, it shows avg of 52 mpg. I will measure when I refill it and compare.
   The service gets an A plus for me. I quit riding for about 15 years, jumped back in and chose the FZ07 , wanted a T7, love the CP2 motor. I'm pretty happy with the FZ 07, the suspension was as bad as advertised. I'm a big guy at 290 lbs. The best performance gain for my bike, is for my lard ass to loose weight. I'm loving the bike now, makes swallowing the expense of going for an Olin on the rear. I'm 60 years old, I don't even have a desire to race on a track but I like knowing it could if I could. I ride it at a relaxed rate through orchards, rice fields and pastures. The sound makes a difference, as for performance, longer exhaust systems are the ticket for the CP2 motor. I have the ransoto, I trusted it to fit and not cost me 600 dollars. Much less the pricier, more desirable exhaust systems.  I might move in that direction but I'm happy with my pipe, I might add a longer muffler. Might need a reflash, I think those are free but not certain. I don't see that as an option unless this pipe starts leaking or giving me problems. Sorry for the long post. I don't post here often. I just felt inspired to do so. I came home and was going to drink a beer and go out for a longer ride. That first one went down too fast so I chose to park it and enjoy a few more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steveneee said:

I came home and was going to drink a beer and go out for a longer ride. That first one went down too fast so I chose to park it and enjoy a few more.

Not a bad idea.  I learned what one beer did one day.  A friend called on a Sunday afternoon and asked if I wanted to play raquetball.  I said sure, I'd popped the top on a cold one and said I'd see him when I finished the beer...

I lost every game and could see I was missing the ball by like a quarter inch on many swings.   I figure if I lost a quarter inch playing raquetball, what might it be if I needed quickest response when riding.   I quit riding after having anything to drink.  Too much lost on the responses.

Save the beer for after the rides is a very good idea.

• Like 1

All that and I forgot to say thanks to you all. I also failed to mention I think my bike had an aftermarket exhaust and possibly a tune of some sort. The peace of mind knowing that it's right are worth a lot now.

On 2/5/2022 at 10:16 AM, Steveneee said:

I'm a big guy at 290 lbs. The best performance gain for my bike, is for my lard ass to loose weight.

Just here to say that I was 290 lbs 4 years ago and that was one of the reasons I didn't ride a motorcycle...I had a hard enough time just doing up my shoes. I am now under 160 lbs and can say my quality of life is so much better. Not gonna sugar coat it though...it is tough and required a complete change or lifestyle. If you want it, you can do it, it is never too late.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, seven said:

Just here to say that I was 290 lbs 4 years ago and that was one of the reasons I didn't ride a motorcycle...I had a hard enough time just doing up my shoes. I am now under 160 lbs and can say my quality of life is so much better. Not gonna sugar coat it though...it is tough and required a complete change or lifestyle. If you want it, you can do it, it is never too late.

I put on a lot of weight a couple years ago due to sitting on the couch nursing a hand injury ( never expected a simple hand injury to practically immobilize me). It was shocking to see how fast you can degrade in just a couple months time. Muscle mass went away to the point my arms were obviously different sizes. In just 8 weeks! 

Two years later and I still haven't shed the whole 40lbs I gained. I have no idea how you dropped 130 lbs, but that's an incredible achievement. Hats off to you, man !👍

• Like 1