The MT-07 Forum

Cracked gear position sensor

16stonepig

Hi all. First post here. Had my MT-07 since January this year. It's a 2014 model and in decent working condition, but I've had to tighten up a few things.

One of those was cleaning the gear position sensor - it was flashing in 5th. I removed it yesterday and gave it a good scrub. When I was putting it back on, I over-tightened it and cracked the body. It seems to be some kind of composite, not metal as I was expecting.

I've ordered a replacement, but does anyone know what the correct torque-setting is for the two bolts? I don't want to ruin the new one immediately.

Just now, 16stonepig said:

Hi all. First post here. Had my MT-07 since January this year. It's a 2014 model and in decent working condition, but I've had to tighten up a few things.

One of those was cleaning the gear position sensor - it was flashing in 5th. I removed it yesterday and gave it a good scrub. When I was putting it back on, I over-tightened it and cracked the body. It seems to be some kind of composite, not metal as I was expecting.

I've ordered a replacement, but does anyone know what the correct torque-setting is for the two bolts? I don't want to ruin the new one immediately.

The Haynes Service & Repair Manual does not list a specific torque value for the screws. It does however indicate they be reinstalled with thread locker. Similar size/type fasteners are listed at 10Nm which is only a solid twist of the wrist. Because this is an electrical componant and nonmetallic, I'd use even less, perhaps 5-8Nm. Remember fasteners such as these are not structural and once replaced with thread locker only serve to retain the sensor in place against vibration during use.  Since the screws had threadlocker on them from the factory they would have felt tighter than they actually were upon removal. Less is more.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, definitely going to take it easier on the new ones.

What confused me was that there was no threadlock when I removed the sensor, so I assumed it would need to be fairly tight to prevent vibration from shaking it loose. I'll dab some blue loctite on next time.

The Yamaha service manual lists 4.0 Nm with threadlock for the two screws of the gear position switch. 

Archived