The MT-07 Forum

New Member - Alex

AleGav

Hey guys,

Recently signed up (been lurking for a while) but decided to create an account and join what looks like an awesome community. I am looking at picking up an FZ/MT 07 in the next couple months. I've been doing a lot of research  on the different bikes in this class, (SV650, CB650F, Z650, Duke 690) and really come to like the styling and reviews of the Yamaha. This would be the first bike I have owned but not ridden. I have a few friends with cruisers so I probably rent a bike a couple times a month for the last 3-4 years or so to just go out and cruise.

This is however the first "Standard" motorcycle that I have been thinking about owning. My biggest issue is short legs. I'm 5'11" but have a long torso, so being able to reach the ground on some of these taller bikes always got to me, so I always thought I'd end up getting some sort of cruiser. I recently sat on the Yamaha with proper riding boots/shoes on and could just about flat foot on both feet, and that's whats really did it for me

TLDR:

New Rider, looking to pickup an FZ/MT 07 in the next couple months :) 

• Premium Member

Welcome! 😀

What' Your inseam? Others considering the FZ/MT-07 could use the info.  

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

9 minutes ago, DewMan said:

Welcome! 😀

What' Your inseam? Others considering the FZ/MT-07 could use the info.  

Not even going to buy me a drink first :) SHORT like 27/28 I typically by 30 length jeans and have to hem them up a couple inches. 

• 2 weeks later...

My personal opinion is a stock 07 is not a very good beginner's bike. It has some faults and some traits that , again in my opinion, make it a bit iffy for an inexperienced rider. There will be many here who disagree, but my long experience on bikes and teaching riders over 40 something years of riding , says get a less particular bike as a first.

Don't get me wrong, the 07 is a wonderful bike. I love mine ( lots of mods) a lot.

My recommendation for a first bike would be a Honda CB500X, or either of the other 2 same base models. Why? Less input required to make it handle. Both the 07 and the 500 have crap suspension, but the Honda is less upset by it when it counts. The Honda doesn't tend to chuck wheelies if you are injudicious with the throttle. The Honda has better stock fuelling for better control at all revs/loads. The Honda gets even better fuel economy and has a bigger tank. The 07 requires a slightly aggressive riding style to feel stable, even with better suspension, where the Honda does not.

If you do get an 07 instead, PLEASE go and get some lessons on a track to help you get into the riding pattern you need for the bike in a safe environment. Preferably with a good instructor that help you get a fair balance on it.

In the long run you will NOT be disappointed with the 07 as it is simply a great bike. Just a bit of a handful to start on.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived