The MT-07 Forum

2019 #213

blackout

• Premium Member

The #213 looks to be running R6 bodywork for 2019!

#213 R6.jpg

• Like 4

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

I wish Madama luck, I'm not sure what happened with the Altus team last year, that he rode for AP  for I think the last 2, maybe 3 rounds!! I don't know, or care. It's pro racing and securing sponsorship is key I'd imagine. i can't wait for this season to start with the competition heating up to boiling point. Have at it!!!! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
CarbonSmith

Yes we are running R6 bodywork, and a dual carbon fiber cold air intake system with custom carbon bell mouth and foam filter.  We have lots of custom parts on this bike, including an oversize radiator, relocated ecu and rectifier, custom subframe, carbon gas cap, and more.  We will have more dyno numbers on our intake system soon.

IMG_20190218_145834_917.jpg

• Like 3

CarbonSmith

I personally built this bike with Jason, and we are still in the process of getting everything finished.  This was a test setup that we completed in about 4 days before we went to Chuckwalla last weekend. Our finished product should be much cleaner and refined.  

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have regarding our build.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, CarbonSmith said:

I personally built this bike with Jason, and we are still in the process of getting everything finished.  This was a test setup that we completed in about 4 days before we went to Chuckwalla last weekend. Our finished product should be much cleaner and refined.  

Awesome bike!

Which data logger are you using to record suspension travel?  

Looks like you are using a FTecu quick shifter, how is that working?

Can you repair your 3d printed carbon with carbon fiber cloth and MAS epoxy?

Thanks. 

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Just now, CarbonSmith said:

I am curious about your motor build sheet. 

I am also a club racer in the CRA and a select event MA Twins entrant so wont be a threat to any championship run you fellas make.

Good luck! 

I'm curious about your choice to use the FTecu.

What were the pros and cons that made you decide to use this unit for fuel mapping?

I'm building my own FZ07 for club racing, and I was considering Flash Tune for my fuel mapping, but others on this forum have shared negative feedback.

• Like 1

CarbonSmith
15 hours ago, blackout said:

Awesome bike!

Which data logger are you using to record suspension travel?  

Looks like you are using a FTecu quick shifter, how is that working?

Can you repair your 3d printed carbon with carbon fiber cloth and MAS epoxy?

Thanks. 

Thanks! We are using the AIM EVO4-S with GPS08 on board.  We are capturing ECU data as well as fork, shock, front wheel, and front brake data.  We may add a rear wheel speed pickup and test out the traction control strategies eventually.

The Quick Shifter works great! Never have any issues with this setup because it is hardwired into the ECU.

The repair process is very different depending on the print.  We use an adhesive that is formulated specifically for nylon plastics, which is what the chopped carbon filament is made with.  The continuous fibers that are printed in cannot be repaired once they are broken because they are continuous strands that are laid into the print in specific layers in specific ways.  Fractured prints can be sealed back together, but the strength from the continuous fibers will be much less after they are fractured. Parts that are damaged that contain missing pieces usually are sent to the trash unless they can be glued back in.

• Like 1

CarbonSmith
15 hours ago, mossrider said:

I am curious about your motor build sheet. 

I am also a club racer in the CRA and a select event MA Twins entrant so wont be a threat to any championship run you fellas make.

Good luck! 

The motor that we tested on is an AP Superbike build.  Not sure if you guys are familiar with his latest builds, but this one has everything in it. Dimple Head, WEBB Cams, Big TB, High Comp 2 ring Pistions, CP Rods, Back cut trans, Slipper Clutch, decked block, etc.  We are not sure if we will keep this as a backup or sell it as it only has a couple of hours on it.

Our A motor is currently still being build at EDR Performance in Oregon.  It will be broke in an tuned on the dyno on our roller chassis before being shipped back to us to re-build our A-bike right before we leave for Round 1 in ATL.  I am as curious about that build sheet as you are, because so far I don't know a thing about it.

• Like 3

CarbonSmith
2 hours ago, Nevets said:

I'm curious about your choice to use the FTecu.

What were the pros and cons that made you decide to use this unit for fuel mapping?

I'm building my own FZ07 for club racing, and I was considering Flash Tune for my fuel mapping, but others on this forum have shared negative feedback.

This ECU came with this motor, so it was not a choice for us.  We bought this setup early on when we were still unsure of our sponsorships as a "just in case" motor.  The new motor will have an ECU from EDR Performance and I am still unsure of what platform it will use.

• Like 1

Thank you for being so open about your preperations. It's refreshing to have a busy racer share their thoughts and ideas/secrets with other grid crawlers. We all have our own ideas and secrets to speed but it is nice to compare.

I met Jason and the rest of the season contenders at RA and again at Pittrace last year and of course know Andy pretty well. I look forward to meeting you at RA this year!

Good luck this season as I know the Suzuki camp is upping their game to retain the championship! 

Dave

• Like 2

CarbonSmith

We had a ton of fun time last year, despite all of the drama that unfolded, which is what its all about.  Sure we want to win a National Championship, but if you take it so seriously that you forget to have fun then what's the point?  If the grids aren't competitive is it really any fun?  Sure winning and kicking everyone's asses feels good, but I personally like to see real racing happen when it comes down to the line, like it did at Atlanta last year between Jason and Chris.  Hopefully this season we will see even better results since we will be able to ride the same bike the entire season and not have to worry about showing up not knowing what happened to our settings in between rounds.

• Like 4

What’s the reason for switching to the R6 bodywork vs fz07 specific race kits? Aerodynamics? Price/availability for spares? Ram air capabilities? 

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, CarbonSmith said:

We had a ton of fun time last year, despite all of the drama that unfolded, which is what its all about.  Sure we want to win a National Championship, but if you take it so seriously that you forget to have fun then what's the point?  If the grids aren't competitive is it really any fun?  Sure winning and kicking everyone's asses feels good, but I personally like to see real racing happen when it comes down to the line, like it did at Atlanta last year between Jason and Chris.  Hopefully this season we will see even better results since we will be able to ride the same bike the entire season and not have to worry about showing up not knowing what happened to our settings in between rounds.

Good attitude towards (What it's all about) fair play to you and everyone that lines a bike up on the line of a track. The old saying I heard growing up, (Difference between men and boy's, is the size of their wallet's, and the size of their toy's.) @CarbonSmith, @mossrider, @blackout, the list goes on, @ all racers, trackday riders, riders in general. I'll speak for myself on this one, I ride because I love it. I'm a returning bike owner/rider after 18 years being out of the ownership part.

My current FZ-07 I've had for 2 years. I follow all events worldwide on tv, but the twins class in Moto America is an outstanding grass-roots road racing platform that I enjoy immensely. It now has elevated itself to the point that it's a serious as a heart attack to some, and that's my point to @CarbonSmith attitude to having fun and keeping everyone tight competitively. 

Sorry for the rant, just my .02

• Like 1

CarbonSmith
2 hours ago, Hosleymoto said:

What’s the reason for switching to the R6 bodywork vs fz07 specific race kits? Aerodynamics? Price/availability for spares? Ram air capabilities? 

Jason likes the look of the R6 better so that's what we decided to run.  We were able to get a good deal on Carbonin Bodywork through one of our sponsors, which is really lightweight and strong bodywork.  The lower is a modified AP FZ07 lower.

• 1 month later...
CarbonSmith

We had a good weekend, finished 7th in R1 and 5th in R2.  We will be more prepared for VIR as we should have our A motor and new electronics to play with.  Our B motor wouldn't shift from 2-3rd coming out of T7 so our drive down the back straight was compromised most laps.  We still ended up with the 2nd fastest trap speed of the weekend of 142 mph. 

small pit shot.jpg

• Like 3

CarbonSmith

Wanted to share with everyone some pics of our custom bits for the bike. 

1. 6061 Rearset brackets that relocate the stock bolt pattern to use with any aftermarket or oem rearset that allows you to change without removing the swingarm pivot bolt.

2. Brembo P34 Under slung rear caliper bracket.

3. Rear subframe.

4. Front Fairing Stay

5. Cold Air Intake 

6.Oversized Radiator

rearset plate 2.jpg

rearset plate 1.jpg

brembo bracket 4.jpg

brembo bracket 2.jpg

brembo bracket.jpg

Side Small.jpg

side small 2.jpg

• Like 3

@CarbonSmithVery nice! If you don't mind me asking, where would one be able to acquire that SP exhaust you are running? I haven't seen anything for the 07 from them. Are you planning on making any of that other stuff available to us mortals maybe?

87' Honda VFR 700 F2 (sold)
03' Honda CBR F4I (donated)
05' Yamaha R1 (sold)
15' FZ-o7

CarbonSmith
6 minutes ago, Geteup said:

@CarbonSmithVery nice! If you don't mind me asking, where would one be able to acquire that SP exhaust you are running? I haven't seen anything for the 07 from them. Are you planning on making any of that other stuff available to us mortals maybe?

Get in touch with Scott Diamond at Moto-D Racing to order the Spark Exhaust.  PN is GYA8821R for the high mount racing headers, and GYA8821S for standard can.

MOTO-D Racing Inc. 961 ROUTE 6 REAR 1-2 MAHOPAC, NY 10541 845-621-7177 9AM-8PM M-F

All of the other bits are available to anyone who is interested.  Send me an email to ryan@carbon-smith.com for more information.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
17 hours ago, br4nd0n said:

@CarbonSmith I'm really curious how you mounted that rear shock as it's backwards.

The shock in this photo was strictly for a dyno run and mockup.  We run the K-Tech DDS Pro with the Altus suspension link designed for that shock.  There are multiple links available that will accommodate many different shocks either forward or backwards depending on the reservoir location.