Jump to content
Hailsham

I wrecked my 2018 Mt 07

Recommended Posts

Hailsham

Hello readers of the fz07 forum! I crashed with my bike in 25 December 2018 while I was filtering thru traffic around 70/80 kph, a driver did not check his mirrors and wanted to merge into the right lane without using turn signals. I opened up the throttle and moved to right lane before he ran over me but the car on the right lane was slowing down so I was too fast to be able to stop. I hit the right side of the car on the right lane and the impact launched me to the side where a tree was located. I hit the tree but i didnt feel, hear or saw anything. After 5 seconds i gained my conscious back and I was lying on mud.

 

Damage to the bike: Simply everything in front of the bike, including the engine is damaged. Sold the bike to a mechanic, planning for a future bike now.

Damage to me: I broke my femur bone on my right leg and also outer skin of some parts were burnt due to high temps caused by friction. I had 3 surgeries, lost 2 liters of blood but getting better. Doctor says my leg will fully recover after a year.

In this accident I hit my head to the tree but there is no damage on the helmet. Visor was gone when I woke up on the ground and I had scars on my face where helmet does not touch at all, idk the cause. Also the left side of my hip bone is broken, not a big deal.

 

In conclusion, the driver who ran into me is found guilty, his insurance paid for everything. I got a broken leg and dream of a new bike in my head. Ride safe!

 

EZBT1137.thumb.JPG.dab863fd6a4d0d9914f6900f682b3ba3.JPGb896e984-2d20-4319-88a0-3112c0dbf240-1024x687.thumb.jpg.fcc95822bb0e413dddc4e467732b6712.jpgBJTV1624.thumb.JPG.8eebe830eafde4e8a1be98bc4bb9c74c.JPG2.thumb.png.7a550a5a13fb0726b129d4356ebbf9f4.png

Edited by Hailsham
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bornagainbiker

Sorry to hear about your crash--I wish you a speedy recovery.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beemer

Sorry to hear you got hurt, I hope you have a speedy recovery. Have you reflected back on what happened and had any 20/20 hindsight thoughts on ways to avoid trouble like this or is it totally unavoidable? Was it raining at the time your accident happened or is that an after the fact pic? Words of wisdom for the newb riders, if you will. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hailsham
4 hours ago, Beemer said:

Sorry to hear you got hurt, I hope you have a speedy recovery. Have you reflected back on what happened and had any 20/20 hindsight thoughts on ways to avoid trouble like this or is it totally unavoidable? Was it raining at the time your accident happened or is that an after the fact pic? Words of wisdom for the newb riders, if you will. 

While traffic was flowing around 60kph I was a little faster than cars, around 65 to 70kph. While I was filtering there was a white char that was going left and right on the left side of the road. That was the car who ran into me. I waited for a bit just to see if he is going to do a move but he stabilzed the car so I opened up the throttle. The moment I started to get going he started to merge to the right lane and I just did counter steering and moved inside the car just not to hit it. It was on my was already. Unfortunately the car on the right side was much slower than I was and also slower than the speed of which the traffic flows. I tried to brake, the moment I touched the brake lever ABS kicked in and without any brakes I hit the car in front. The weather was snow and rain mixed. The picture is when I was lying on the ground, right after the accident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DewMan

I have a question and I ask as a rider who's never lived anywhere that lane splitting is legal. So understand I don't have any malice behind the question. If the traffic was moving at 60KPH why was there a need to lane split to only gain 5-10KPH? Seems like a lot of risk for minimal return. ✌️

 

I wish you a quick and as pain free as possible recovery.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hailsham
5 minutes ago, DewMan said:

I have a question and I ask as a rider who's never lived anywhere that lane splitting is legal. So understand I don't have any malice behind the question. If the traffic was moving at 60KPH why was there a need to lane split to only gain 5-10KPH? Seems like a lot of risk for minimal return. ✌️

 

I wish you a quick and as pain free as possible recovery.

Thank you my friend. I ride motorcycle in Turkey, where the tarmac quality is low with full of bumps and all that and drivers are not using their mirrors at all. The point of lane splitting is basically to get ahead of the cars because they may crash into you. We can not ride motorcycle at the same speed of the car, drivers think we are bicycle riders and wants the full lane to themselves. Legally the speed for motorcyle is 10kph lower than car but even government does not apply their own rules themselves. The traffic here is a mess my friend. I dont go much faster than cars because sometimes they open their door or move from side to side to avoid random bumps on the road. If I go way faster than cars the risk increases. Very dangerous to ride a motorcycle around here and I learned my lesson.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DewMan
2 minutes ago, Hailsham said:

Thank you my friend. I ride motorcycle in Turkey, where the tarmac quality is low with full of bumps and all that and drivers are not using their mirrors at all. The point of lane splitting is basically to get ahead of the cars because they may crash into you. We can not ride motorcycle at the same speed of the car, drivers think we are bicycle riders and wants the full lane to themselves. Legally the speed for motorcyle is 10kph lower than car but even government does not apply their own rules themselves. The traffic here is a mess my friend. I dont go much faster than cars because sometimes they open their door or move from side to side to avoid random bumps on the road. If I go way faster than cars the risk increases. Very dangerous to ride a motorcycle around here and I learned my lesson. 

Thank you for the clarification. It makes much more sense now. 👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Benh972

I wish you the best man. Bikes can be replaced, we can't. Glad you did not get hurt worse. Seems your one tough hombre though. Broke my femur, no biggie lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hailsham
6 minutes ago, Benh972 said:

I wish you the best man. Bikes can be replaced, we can't. Glad you did not get hurt worse. Seems your one tough hombre though. Broke my femur, no biggie lol.

Thank you so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
robbo10

Yeah, good luck with your recovery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
e30kawi

Glad you made it out alive. Hopefully your femur break isn't too bad. I'm in the final stages of recovery with my femur break, happen on March 28th  2016! I was going a bit faster though and hit a stationary car that pulled out in front of me at 60mph (100 kph).

 

You're braver than I am. Like someone else said, I've never lived where you can split lanes. Drivers are bad enough in their lanes let alone watching for motorcycles splitting them.

 

Heal up quickly and get back out there.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kylerhsm

Filtering at those speeds seems crazy. Here in Brisbane Australia, we can filter but at no faster than 30km/h. I do this every day to get to and from work. Even at 30km/h I'm always avoiding careless drivers and even going slower than this when I think a car might be about to change lanes.

 

Glad you're ok, and I understand rules differ from country to country, but I don't see how filtering at those speeds could ever be safe.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beemer

Well, you said you learned your lesson and people here have touched base on some important things for you to consider before you get back out to ride again so there's not much else to say other than this . Keep in mind that when your speed increases your reaction time decreases and when you're within feet of cars at that speed you only have a blink of an eye to react effectively.  You know that's true, you experienced it first hand and look what happened to yourself and your bike. I feel bad for you. Getting somewhere a few minutes quicker isn't worth your life. Think about that for awhile, stay with us awhile longer. Please, take care and stay frosty and if I hear that you lane split at that speed again I'm flying over there to smack your throttle hand with a ruler! 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TylerNT02

Very glad to hear that you are doing well. Awesome to know that you are also already looking for another bike! Lol, good on ya mate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
firstyammerha

My first safety rule is don't ride beside a car. Get ahead of them or fall behind. Second rule is keep your head on a swivel and watch for approaching  and over taking traffic. Next keep your eyes on cars at intersections and have a plan for evasive action just in case. Before I got back into riding six years ago, I was driving a 2000 V6 Mustang and always tried to spark conversations with fellow Mustangers at banks, shopping centers or wherever. One day, I talked to a Shelby Cobra Mustang driver parked next to me at the bank and he told me how he had disabled the ABS on his car because he felt it increased his stopping distance. I didn't give it much thought but later suspected that was true. Your story reinforces that and maybe some owners of ABS equipped bikes can chime in on this subject.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.