The MT-07 Forum

How many miles on the stock tires?

Burley

Hi, so I've got 22,000 km (just shy of 14,000 miles ) on my stock tires now.  Is it time to start shopping?  

• Premium Member

That would depend on numerous factors.

The age of the tire.

The amount of tread left.

The profile of the tire (flat in the center?).

Your happiness with tire.

But most likely it's time to at least start researching your choices of replacement. 👍

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

What @DewMan said. 

I just got 17K out of stock tire... but it was way overdue. 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

I had about 10,000 miles (16,000 km) on my stock Bridgestones with about 5,000 miles (8,000 km) left on them. I had to get rid of them as I got a screw in my rear tire and I wanted to switch to Michelin Road 5s.

2003 Buell XB9R (2011-2011) Crashed
2009 Buell 1125CR (2011-2013) Sold
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 (2014-?) Current

308144.png

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

My stock tires were gone before 4k miles. Both ends. How the heck are you guys this mileage???

fewer stoppies and burnouts? 🤪

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

I have 17,000 km on my stock Michelin PR 3 tires, and I think I can squeeze one more season out of them.  As to how I have managed to get this kind of mileage: by riding like an old man--slow and easy.

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

Haha.  Thanks for the input everyone.  Sorry I was a little vague on the details.  2015 FZ-07.  First bike, rode it like an old man at first (because I am) but as you all know the whole bike thing is age reversing so I'm squeezing a bit more out of it now!  Either way, probably time to think about some new ones.  Also thinking about the Triumph Speed Triple but that's whole other conversation.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 1:07 AM, shinyribs said:

My stock tires were gone before 4k miles. Both ends. How the heck are you guys this mileage???

If I recall you ride on some rough roads and you ride pretty hard. A tire spin here, a power slide there. Are you that guy or am I thinking of someone one else?

Beemer

Is it time to start shopping? What does your tread look like? Only you know. My tread always wears in the center because of all the straight roads around here so I guess you could say mine wear out prematurely, which sucks! I may spend a little more on some PR4 Michelins. I've heard they last pretty long.

Beemer

51 minutes ago, Beemer said:

If I recall you ride on some rough roads and you ride pretty hard. A tire spin here, a power slide there. Are you that guy or am I thinking of someone one else?

Why else do we buy motorcycles? 😂

I've actually never done a burnout on a motorcycle in my life, and most of my sliding is done on gravel. I have a hard time believing my local pavement is responsible for my tire wear, but watching threads like this is making me wonder.

6 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Why else do we buy motorcycles? 😂

I've actually never done a burnout on a motorcycle in my life, and most of my sliding is done on gravel. I have a hard time believing my local pavement is responsible for my tire wear, but watching threads like this is making me wonder.

Ok, it was the gravel I remembered you talking about spinning tires/sliding on. I know that can chew up some knobbies pretty fast, I would think it would be just as hard on street tires.

Beemer

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
23 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Are there a lot of chip seal roads in your area?  That type of road surface can be hard on tires, especially if it was resurfaced recently. 

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

Archived