The MT-07 Forum

TheAbhartach's "Build" - '18 MT-07

TheAbhartach

Bought new 01.12.19, and this "build" thread will mostly be for record keeping, as I am a new rider and just getting to know the MT.

I'll document the odds and ends I do here, and maybe it'll grow into something more involved down the line. I have no idea, but I'm excited to see where the bike takes me.

Really the only picture I have new and with no mods:

MT07-1.thumb.jpg.539836cb67a4eea42b0d4b37297cf625.jpg

Added an EvoTech Radiator Guard on 02.04.19. I went with this rad guard as it had the least amount of branding of anything I could find, and thus looked the cleanest to my eye. I'm happy with the quality and look. Fitment was perfect and installation was incredibly easy. I could do without the EvoTech tab/badge at the bottom left corner, but as I said this was the cleanest / most minimally branded radiator guard I could find short of questionable-quality eBay knockoffs.

IMG_20190204_173617.thumb.jpg.df8bde28ce087cede2ff6abb6e093e51.jpg

Added a Denali Soundbomb Mini on 02.11.19. Happy with the horn itself, but not crazy about the fitment. I reused the stock horn bracket, as it is a bit shorter than the one Denali includes with the horn, because I want the horn as tucked up and out of the way as possible. It barely fits, you can see the very small gaps on either side of the horn on the rear photo. I also don't like the unfinished metal backside of the horn, and may remove it and paint it and the bracket black.

IMG_20190211_160925.thumb.jpg.08ae9a58c85d454d1215037418daea74.jpgIMG_20190211_160930.thumb.jpg.f6f30d410434e78c172388aa199eb119.jpgIMG_20190211_160905.thumb.jpg.bf3090998890b5cb4d53b57fb6f8272b.jpgIMG_20190211_160915.thumb.jpg.0f95c427fb4becacae0657ffcf58001c.jpg

Removed passenger footpegs on 02.11.19. I remounted the screws to fill the holes where the footpeg supports were mounted, but they stick a bit due to the gapping for the supports. I also used a spare horn bracket that came with the Denali Soundbomb Mini to mount the brake reservoir, but because of the gapping on the screws it doesn't mount flush and has some play. I have rubber washers (that I can't seem to find at the moment) that I will install and that should solve the issue. I'll also paint the bracket black if that solution works out. If not I'll find shorter but same-threaded screws and use those instead, unless someone has a better solution?

IMG_20190211_160814.thumb.jpg.11eb6c973333c119467d32399279f48d.jpgIMG_20190211_160822.thumb.jpg.da9b7ddbd9054d81ee019c7b479e9057.jpg

When I wanted a bit of red colour on the left side of a bike, I painted the horn red rather than some part of the bike itself.  Yours might look good in blue?

• Like 1

Just do it! 

On 2/11/2019 at 5:13 PM, TheAbhartach said:

Removed passenger footpegs on 02.11.19. I remounted the screws to fill the holes where the footpeg supports were mounted, but they stick a bit due to the gapping for the supports. I also used a spare horn bracket that came with the Denali Soundbomb Mini to mount the brake reservoir, but because of the gapping on the screws it doesn't mount flush and has some play. I have rubber washers (that I can't seem to find at the moment) that I will install and that should solve the issue. I'll also paint the bracket black if that solution works out. If not I'll find shorter but same-threaded screws and use those instead, unless someone has a better solution?

IMG_20190211_160814.thumb.jpg.11eb6c973333c119467d32399279f48d.jpgIMG_20190211_160822.thumb.jpg.da9b7ddbd9054d81ee019c7b479e9057.jpg

I too went and removed my passenger pegs. I decided to go with a rear brake reservoir delete and plugged the holes from the pegs with some body filler caps we had in house. Totally cleaned up the look and didn't have to deal with finding shorter bolts or remounting the OEM reservoir. 

20190212_170255_HDR.jpg

20190212_170159_HDR-1.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, robbo10 said:

When I wanted a bit of red colour on the left side of a bike, I painted the horn red rather than some part of the bike itself.  Yours might look good in blue?

That's an interesting idea. I like it in theory, but with the horn being so large already I'm not sure I want to attract any more attention to it by painting it a noticeable color. I may have to photoshop it blue and see how it looks. I appreciate the suggestion!

14 hours ago, Mlou1224 said:

I too went and removed my passenger pegs. I decided to go with a rear brake reservoir delete and plugged the holes from the pegs with some body filler caps we had in house. Totally cleaned up the look and didn't have to deal with finding shorter bolts or remounting the OEM reservoir. 

20190212_170255_HDR.jpg

20190212_170159_HDR-1.jpg

I'm keeping the rear brake reservoir for now, but I like what you did with the caps and will likely use your idea for 3 out of the 4 holes, and keep the bracket mounted using the other one. Great idea and thanks for sharing it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheAbhartach said:

I'm keeping the rear brake reservoir for now, but I like what you did with the caps and will likely use your idea for 3 out of the 4 holes, and keep the bracket mounted using the other one. Great idea and thanks for sharing it.

Absolutely man! The plug i used is speced out below. Also, I can imagine that a bolt sized M8x15mm would fit just perfectly snug in those holes. 

Plugs used - Large Dart Clip, Black, .490" diameter head, fits .250" diameter holes, with 1/4" capacity

https://www.ffr.com/dart-canoe-clip

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Mlou1224 said:

Absolutely man! The plug i used is speced out below. Also, I can imagine that a bolt sized M8x15mm would fit just perfectly snug in those holes. 

Plugs used - Large Dart Clip, Black, .490" diameter head, fits .250" diameter holes, with 1/4" capacity

https://www.ffr.com/dart-canoe-clip

Thanks for the link and specs!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
TheAbhartach

Swapped the bar ends for RhinoMoto threaded mirror mount sliders on 04.25.19. Waiting on the CRG Arrow mirrors to arrive in the mail. The RhinoMoto sliders seem to be great quality, but didn't include instructions. I'm not sure you'd really need any, but just noting it as their product page says they are included, and they don't seem to be posted anywhere on their website either. I ended up installing as tightly as I reasonably could with some vicegrips and a rubber pad (to not damage them with the metal vicegrips).

IMG_20190425_180858.jpg

IMG_20190425_180847.jpg

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
On 4/26/2019 at 6:15 AM, TheAbhartach said:

Swapped the bar ends for RhinoMoto threaded mirror mount sliders on 04.25.19. Waiting on the CRG Arrow mirrors to arrive in the mail. The RhinoMoto sliders seem to be great quality, but didn't include instructions. I'm not sure you'd really need any, but just noting it as their product page says they are included, and they don't seem to be posted anywhere on their website either. I ended up installing as tightly as I reasonably could with some vicegrips and a rubber pad (to not damage them with the metal vicegrips).

IMG_20190425_180858.jpg

IMG_20190425_180847.jpg

Can you not use a hex wrench on the end to tighten them?

TheAbhartach
6 hours ago, mjh937 said:

Can you not use a hex wrench on the end to tighten them?

The hex on the end tightens the rubber/plastic slider bit to the metal bar-end (they come loose so that it is obvious), and I didn't want to crank too hard on that and overtorque it, damaging the slider.

• Premium Member

It's been a while since I put on my RhinoMoto bar ends but If I remember correctly there's a Large HEX 6or8mm (?) recess under the sliders to tighten them. Or I could be thinking of a different bar end.

• Like 2

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

TheAbhartach
21 hours ago, DewMan said:

It's been a while since I put on my RhinoMoto bar ends but If I remember correctly there's a Large HEX 6or8mm (?) recess under the sliders to tighten them. Or I could be thinking of a different bar end.

I saw this comment so I went and checked, and you're absolutely right. If you remove the sliders from the bar ends there is an 8mm hex wrench recess to install the bar ends. I've already got mine installed but maybe this info will help someone down the line.

At the very least I'd say this highlights the importance of including instructions, or at least having them available on your site. Neither of which RhinoMoto do. All that said, the product is good and it wasn't a huge inconvenience to use the vice grips.

• Like 1

TheAbhartach

Received and installed CRG Arrow bar end mirrors on 04.30.19. They seem to be good quality, but I didn't have any opportunity to ride to really test out visibility, etc. They sure look a lot better than the stock insect antennas though...

Open Box.jpg

Close.jpg

mick97702
On 4/29/2019 at 7:12 PM, DewMan said:

You are correct. Remove the end cap and there is a larger hex slot under it.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
TheAbhartach

Purchased and installed RAM Mount on 05.14.19. I attached the u-bolt behind the gauges to the handlebar, as far center as it would go. It worked out pretty well, although getting the two bolts tightened down and keeping the whole thing in a position where it isn't rubbing against any lines or wires was tedious.

This is just the basic u-bolt/3-inch arm/x-mount combo they sell at Cyclegear, for anyone wondering if that'll work for our bikes. It's positioned so that when not on a long ride (I only plan to have phone mounted for GPS on long rides) I can just pop the whole arm off and only the u-bolt and ball are on the bike, tucked away so you can barely see it. When it's fully assembled/attached my phone/GPS will be directly above the gauges, which is what I was trying to accomplish (arm has been tweaked so that it has been centered further since first picture below was taken).

1.jpg

2.jpg

TheAbhartach

05.18.19 - First service (at 615 miles) and installed HighTechSpeed Proton 500 front indicators. The Proton's are very bright and very high quality. They blink too fast right now, but that's to be expected and the replacement relay to correct it will arrive today. They're also easy to install if you're even vaguely comfortable with wiring. They include crimp-type wire connectors, but I instead soldered and used heat shrink on the connections for added peace of mind, since I had the spare materials around, and the spare time. Used Mobil1 Racing 4T for the oil change, as it meets all specs and is available cheaply at Walmart's everywhere.

I feel like the MT is starting to really look good now as the tackier design elements have come off (stock mirrors, stock front indicators). TST integrated taillight (and relay, per above) arrives today, and MD tail tidy will get ordered the instant I get their email notification that it's back in stock (COME ON MD).

TheAbhartach
2 hours ago, Soranov said:

sick FZ. I wish I got the blue one instead of the green/yellowish lol 

Thanks. I sometimes see pics of the highlighter color version, which is what I assume you're referring to, and wish I'd gone with it. The grass is always greener, etc.

I may try my hand at vinyl wrapping it at some point, both to try another color and as a learning experience. You could consider doing the same?

TheAbhartach

05.20.19 - Installed TST relay and integrated taillight. Very happy with the taillight, and the relay works as advertised. I went with the clear taillight to maximize brightness / visibility and it is plenty bright. Sorry I didn't get any illuminated photos or videos, but I can get any that people are curious about, just let me know.

1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

• 3 months later...

05.28.19 - I installed the MotoDynamic tail tidy back in May, but just got around to getting a photo and putting it up here. I'm very happy with it and the overall look of the bike is much improved, as expected. I also picked up a Trackside rear paddock stand and have been using it for the past couple of months. So far it's been a great product for the price, and it (or something like it) is pretty much essential for maintenance.

I believe I'm done with aesthetic mods for now, and the only thing left on my "wish list" is an exhaust, as I really can't stand the sound of the stock one. I oscillate between the Black Widow and Yoshi. Either way it'll wait for a while, as most of my spare energy and time will be sunk into the new project you can see in the background of these photos. I may do something about the laughably dim headlight in the meantime, but I'm undecided on which direction to take that in.

Too many toys is a good problem to have, and the new one needs more attention than the MT at the moment. So I'm riding and enjoying the bike as is.

tidy 1.jpg

tidy 2.jpg

• Like 1

• 6 months later...