The MT-07 Forum

Check your bike if it is under a cover

Grant31781

My bike has been under a cover under my tractor shed for 2 weeks. The weather was nice today so I  uncovered it to find sand all over the seat and tank. Then I noticed a chunk of the rear seat strap had been chewed off.🤬 Squirrels or rats have to be the pest. I have been storing it this way for 5 months with no problems till now.

Not happy!! But nothing I can do. Now I have the bike by the house out in the open under the cover. The cat also stays around this area.

• Premium Member

Sounds like a perfect excuse to upgrade that vinyl covered plank they call a seat. 😄

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

It's the back seat. Lol. I am thinking of making an electrical grid around the bike powered by a continuous current fence charger. That should keep them away.

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

Knock on wood, I've had no rodent problems with my bike, but my car is another story.  For some reason, mice thought that the air filter of my car was a great place to stash seeds.  I had to replace several air filters, well before their time, because of the furry little devils.

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

• 3 weeks later...

I made a shock pad with a constant current fence charger. I found a lizard dead on it and a few roaches. The cat walked across it and seemed to have had a hell of a shock!  It works fine in dry weather. Rain temporarily shorts  it out. I will have a new 22'X26' shop to put my bikes in the next 6 weeks!

• Premium Member

Put a little Listerine on the seat before you store it for a long time. Mice and such hate the minty smell, and it wipes right off.

~Pete

'16 FZ07

njdevils1990

When I used to not ride as often with my first bike I kept it in the garage for a few months with luckily no issues though we've seen rats around the house a few times in the past. Luckily for me now the longest I'll keep my bike parked is about a week, only for bad winter weather. The only exception was the 7 months I couldn't ride recently and still had no issues luckily. Started riding on the 4th February and have put 3,000 miles on the bike so far.

2003 Buell XB9R (2011-2011) Crashed
2009 Buell 1125CR (2011-2013) Sold
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 (2014-?) Current

308144.png

On 3/1/2019 at 1:33 PM, Grant31781 said:

I will have a new 22'X26' shop to put my bikes in the next 6 weeks!

A new shop.  Nice, congratulations. 

Remember, one of the most important decisions of outfitting a shop is TV size and placement.  You have to be able to see the game/race/action movie from almost everywhere.

On 3/10/2019 at 6:57 AM, rider said:

A new shop.  Nice, congratulations. 

Remember, one of the most important decisions of outfitting a shop is TV size and placement.  You have to be able to see the game/race/action movie from almost everywhere.

Thanks I am super excited. I am tried of working on stuff in sand an mud under the tree! My last  job were axles seals on a D250 dodge.  Crawling around in Gear oil,mud and sand  sucks. Plus it is fun rolling a floor jack in mud. That works well! A 2 post lift will be installed soon, so no more crawling!

It sounds like you got aggressive and took care of your problems quickly, good for you! I was going to suggest something, it can still be used for other things if you need it. I used to have an American Fuzzy Lop that naturally had a habit of chewing on things like speaker wires (his favorite) and I found that a slurry of cayenne pepper protects things from animals that like to chew. As for new shop I recommend a comfy, relining chair of sorts (w/footrest) and a mini fridge.

Beemer

Archived