The MT-07 Forum

Wheelies?

topazsparrow

Wheelies are...  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Wheelies are...

• A public menace and extremely dangerous, they give all bikers a bad name!
    • Bad Ass! They display skill and control and everyone should know how to do them when safe!
    • WHOOOLIEEESSSS YEAH! FCK THE POLICE!

Honestly, I just couldn't care less. The skills they exhibit are unique to wheelies - nothing about them indicates a better rider in terms of handling, braking, traction control, etc. I'm equally apathetic about how it effects me when someone else wheelies; let them do it in a way that doesn't threaten anyone or anything else other than themselves and their bike if that's what they enjoy. Everyone I know whose very good at stunting has thoroughly trashed some bikes along the way though. 

Wheelies take a ton of skill. Throttle control, clutch control, rear brake control, balance, sense of speed/angle and situational awareness. I am not great at them, but I love them. The guys that can crank a bike back to balance point and ride for minutes at a time amaze. 

But I have no respect if they do it in traffic. Nope. Go play in a parking lot, desolate roads or something. So my vote would land somewhere between options 1 and 2. On the street they're just for fun, so no "need" to learn it. Offroad, practical wheelies are something you dozens of times per ride. 

How can you own an 07 and not love wheelies?! :D

If you want to learn to wheelie, get a dirt bike. It's so much easier to practice on them and you can do so on dirt or grass where "if" you do fall, you're likely to do a lot less damage to both yourself and your bike.

Wheelies are big within the fz07 community. The FZ07 is a good low priced bike, so many fz07 owners are first time bike owners, and learning how to wheelie for the first time. 

So, let em wheelie. Let em have fun. And let em wreck their bikes in peace. 

• Premium Member

The FZ-07 appeals to many types of riders... From country hopping, to track bikes, to works of art, to ADV riders, commuters, stunt crowd, dirt bikers going to street, old timers enjoying shyt eating grins, even college teams are using the motor for racing classes!, Etc...

With that being said, the bike will have a long following for years to come...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Cruizin said:

Wheelies are big within the fz07 community. The FZ07 is a good low priced bike, so many fz07 owners are first time bike owners, and learning how to wheelie for the first time. 

So, let em wheelie. Let em have fun. And let em wreck their bikes in peace. 

As long as they only risk damage to themselves and their property I'm cool with it but when they risk the life & property of others in their quest of looking cool, I just want to slap them with their own helmet... if they are bothering to wear one.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

My vote would be somewhere between 1-2.  I'd love to learn to wheelie, but not at the risk of dumping my bike, which although is considered "budget" is out of my budget to repair/replace.  I think that I will eventually "inadvertently" learn to wheelie as I have lifted the front more than a few times and didn't feel threatened to back off of the throttle.  I don't like them on public roads that have traffic.  Desolated roads and back parking lots, etc - no problem with me.  Case in point.  I was riding down a hwy that has long sweeping bends that leads to a national park; preschool; boat ramp; heavy tourist/local swimming and fishing destination and there was a guy trying to ride wheelies in between two of the turns while his girlfriend "instagrammed" it.  smh.

What red blooded, all American guy hasn't tried spinning his tires in his car or smiled when he accidentally spun his tires? (unless you're a mamas boy, maybe) What guy hasn't tried pulling a wheelie on his bicycle? I see nothing wrong with wanting to pull a wheelie on a motorcycle, it's natural to want to do it. Just be mindful of others around you when you do it. 

Beemer

• Premium Member

Wheelies are awesome, but there is a time and place. My mother gets legit terrified when riders pull wheelies near her, not mad just irrationally fearful, and she drives noticeably worse when she is scared.

I crashed on an empty road trying to push too far too quick. I see a guy on my local craigslist who offers a wheelie class that he will teach you on his own dirt bike. I think I might take that class as a reward after an advanced riding course.

All my local riding schools advertise the advanced rider course but they only have the basic rider course on the schedule.

I'd like to add that many laws, whether good or bad laws, go against all human nature and they will always be broken by people with any human spirit. We're not robots that bureaucrats behind a desk can program and expect us to function as such. Long live Snake Plissken!

Beemer

Archived