The MT-07 Forum

2019 Road Tires

Jeremy9336

I will be going on a 5,800 mile ride this May, basically CA to DC and back. I'm looking for the best dry and wet grip tires available. I've narrowed it down to Michelin Road 5 tires. What's better and WHY? 

I had the Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires on my first FZ-07 and loved them. I also ran Michelin Pilot Power 2CT tires on my first two Buells. I'm a big fan of Michelin tires and once the Bridgestones on my current FZ-07 are worn down I plan on getting a set of Michelin Road 5s.

2003 Buell XB9R (2011-2011) Crashed
2009 Buell 1125CR (2011-2013) Sold
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 (2014-?) Current

308144.png

I've read at least 2 different comparison test that both picked the Metzler Roadtech 01's as the best for quick warmup, steering and longevity.  They were also rated #1 in the wet.

Please Mister Fantasy play us a tune, something to make us all happy.    Stevie Winwood / Traffic, 1967

Hope your DC trip is fun.  Lots of roads on your way here and back in W. VA, VA, OH and or PA I could recommend...

As for tires, I like Dunlops, B-stones and Pirellis for value and ride quality/grip. Dont thing theres anything wrong with Michelin, but bang for buck, road or trackdays I e spent most of my money on those brands.

Matt

Haymarket, VA

My mechanic recommended me the Metzeler Roadtec 01 for my touring purposes at the end of season 2018. The first positiv thing I noticed is the softer feeling /higher damping of the tires and a good grip with cold tires. Also no weaknesses in corners  until now, but I am no "knee down and to the limit" driver.  

Maybe a contra could be a "wrrrrrrrrhhh" sound coming from the front tire when driving slow with open helmet. 

+1 on the road 5 tires.  Put them on in December... very pleased.  

Excellent cornering grip, better than the previous PR3 tires, and not yet showing wear from my commuting.  Some of my commuting has been in torrential downpours, and the tires worked as advertised. 

I just found that I had a small screw in my rear tire so I'm gonna be ordering the Road 5s soon.

2003 Buell XB9R (2011-2011) Crashed
2009 Buell 1125CR (2011-2013) Sold
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 (2014-?) Current

308144.png

• Premium Member

My Angel St's are great in both wet and dry, granted i tore up the rear on my last set at 5,500 miles the front lasted 9,000 miles. As of now I'm 3,000 miles on second rear ST and installed the front this weekend. I maybe looking towards the Dunlop variety next.

The Angel ST =Sport Touring. The GT is meant for heavier bikes, or bikes that are ridden regularly loaded and 2 up. . Like BMW GS's, Councours, FLR1300,etc. 

No clue about the GTll. Reads as if it's just an update on the original GT. 

EDIT: I always thought that ^^^ But according to Pirelli...there was the ST that got updated to the GT. Now the GT is being updated to the GTll. There is no mention of heavy bike versions. 

Which means I was talking out of my arse, and never believe anything you read on the interwebs. :D 

Archived