The MT-07 Forum

High pitched rubbing noise on highway, don't think it's common chain noise

lajuicy

Hey guys, first post here. So I have a 2016 fz07 with 11k miles and there is a strange noise I can't figure out. I have read all about the various chain noises and can't seem to find one that sounds like mine. On the highway at 4k rpm and above a weird high pitched rubbing noise comes from the under or in front of me, and I cant tell which side it is. When I say high pitched I mean its higher than the engine tone. The noise is there when I'm going at constant speed and accelerating. If I let go of the throttle or pull in the clutch the sound goes away. Any one else have this problem? I clean and lube my chain often, and the fact the sound isn't always there tells me it's probably not the chain as it's always moving. Any one have an experience with this?

• Premium Member

Check the chain guard and make sure it's not rubbing on the chain.

Good luck finding the cause.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

4 hours ago, lajuicy said:

If I let go of the throttle or pull in the clutch the sound goes away. ... the fact the sound isn't always there tells me it's probably not the chain as it's always moving. 

This rules out a lot of things...chain, wheel bearings, brakes...which unfortunately also makes it a very weird thing to figure out. 

When you say high pitched noise my brain thinks of a squealing sound, but you mention a rubbing sound. Does it sound metallic (grinding)?

Yeah high pitched is a bad description, it sounds like a metal grinding. I'm thinking if it is the chain it only happens at a high speed because the outward force is enough at high speed to push the chain up into the guard but I haven't seen any marks from chain rubbing, but that's a long shot. I'm going to do a deeper check on it tomorrow. 

5 hours ago, lajuicy said:

Hey guys, first post here. So I have a 2016 fz07 with 11k miles and there is a strange noise I can't figure out. I have read all about the various chain noises and can't seem to find one that sounds like mine. On the highway at 4k rpm and above a weird high pitched rubbing noise comes from the under or in front of me, and I cant tell which side it is. When I say high pitched I mean its higher than the engine tone. The noise is there when I'm going at constant speed and accelerating. If I let go of the throttle or pull in the clutch the sound goes away. Any one else have this problem? I clean and lube my chain often, and the fact the sound isn't always there tells me it's probably not the chain as it's always moving. Any one have an experience with this?

Id be looking at those sprockets, see if your sprocket teeth are worn down at all. 

Or hell, maybe time to change the chain anyways, 11,000 miles. 

I have seen videos of guys chains breaking on the freeway at speed, it isn't pretty.  

Try a simple process of elimination and test ride it on the highway w/o the chain guard on. It's a start. 

Beemer

Mate I just bought an MT07 and mine makes what I think to be the exact same noise. It's a high pitched whining which sounds like it's coming from the chain area, and can be heard only when the engine is loading against the wheel (accelerating or maintaining speed) and vanishes completely when the throttle is let off and the wheel is instead loading the engine. Seems to be dependent on speed, not rpm. I can clearly hear it (even above the noise of the Akro Carbon no baffle) at anything over 50km/h.

Strangely, I didn't notice until after I cleaned and lubed my chain, although I've only ridden the bike three times since buying it so it may be a cooincidence. I'm hoping it's not a countershaft bearing issue, and hoping it is just chain/sprocket noise. Keep me updated on your progress with this. I'll be sure to let you know if I find out myself.

• Premium Member

It's probably the front sprocket... The chain rides on its links on the rubber noise damping donut vs riding on its rollers... I hate them noise damping sprockets personally as they produce an unnatural chain/sprocket sensations...

Could be debris behind the sprocket cover...I have seen pebbles get stuck/wedged somehow...

But at 11k miles on OEM chain/sprockets is probably due for a replacement... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• 1 month later...

So I just took the cover off the front sprocket and pulled the rubber chain guide off and it was naaasty. Looked like the last owner never took it off, and the chain guide looks pretty beat, so i'm gonna get a new one but I also noticed if i rolled the tire slowly I could hear a rub so I'm lost and going to take it to a shop as it might be a bit more than I can handle. On top of all this now it wont even start. Doesn't attempt to crank, just clicks and the error code Err pops up on the dash, so if anyone has had that code help would be appreciated. 

• Global Moderator

Did you disconnect anything when you took the guard off? Like the kickstand switch?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Nope all i did was pop off my rear set and move the shift lever aside. I'm thinking maybe my battery is almost dead? Maybe I left the key on and killed it cause when I turn it on the headlight doesn't come on gonna go grab a new battery now and see what happens I guess. The shop can't pick it up until Monday. 😪

• Premium Member

FYI: In  pinch I've found out one of my Local Advanced Auto Parts stores stocked the filter and a battery for the FZ-07. Not all of the stores carry them I don't believe. I'd call before making the trip.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

She lives! Replaced the battery and got it down to the shop. Hopefully they can diagnose the noise and get an answer for us all

Archived