The MT-07 Forum

Bike lags while starting on driveways

Vex

When I start my bike (2018 07) in a driveway, especially after having it off for 20+ min it turns over for about 3 to 5 seconds before it starts. Any slanted hill for that matter. Rumble rumble rumble start is the best way I can describe  almost like its trying to hiccup. Is this common? Is it cuz my gas tank isnt full? Should I take it in under manufacture warranty (will they really be able to identify and stop this from happening?)? Any input and advice is appreciated it's been doing it since I bought the bike new started around 300miles I'd say it happens once a week maybe twice, the delay is never over 5 seconds without turning on, and it'll never do it twice  once I get it on I can turn it off and on 100 times flawless start ups.

Have you ever had the throttle bodies synched? Once the engine breaks in ( and this is part of the initial 600 mile service) they need to be synched. Mine never had much trouble starting when it was time to synch them, but I did notice it sprang to life much snappier once I did it. Another symptom is a rougher idle than new, and occasional stalling. 

Other than that, the only thing that makes my bike start slow after 14k miles is cold weather. If it's below 40 degrees it's a bit sluggish to turn over, but it's just physics and cold oil. If your synch is good I would investigate further. 

8 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

Have you ever had the throttle bodies synched? Once the engine breaks in ( and this is part of the initial 600 mile service) they need to be synched. Mine never had much trouble starting when it was time to synch them, but I did notice it sprang to life much snappier once I did it. Another symptom is a rougher idle than new, and occasional stalling. 

Other than that, the only thing that makes my bike start slow after 14k miles is cold weather. If it's below 40 degrees it's a bit sluggish to turn over, but it's just physics and cold oil. If your synch is good I would investigate further. 

Had no clue I had to do that lol. I'm def going to sync this weekend, gotta do some research first ty for letting me know

6 minutes ago, Vex said:

Had no clue I had to do that lol. I'm def going to sync this weekend, gotta do some research first ty for letting me know

Yeah, it's not something you think about on a fuel injected bike, but it's a maintenance thing we gotta do. Owners manual says to check the synch every 4k miles. After my initial synch I didn't need one again til somewhere around 7k miles, because the idle wasn't quite as smooth as it once was. I'm at 14k miles now and don't need a synch, so I think the 4k mile interval is a bit extreme. JMO, of course. 

1 hour ago, shinyribs said:

Yeah, it's not something you think about on a fuel injected bike, but it's a maintenance thing we gotta do. Owners manual says to check the synch every 4k miles. After my initial synch I didn't need one again til somewhere around 7k miles, because the idle wasn't quite as smooth as it once was. I'm at 14k miles now and don't need a synch, so I think the 4k mile interval is a bit extreme. JMO, of course. 

Yeah man this is news to me 😂, I thought chain, oil,  radiator fluid, and filters about summed up my maintenance. Guess I'm adding throttle bodies to the list. I did alot of research and this forum actually has some pretty detailed guides on how to do everything throttle body related. I also read that I can wait until 4k to do the first one, but I doubt that my paranoia will allow such things. I believe its 100$ give or take to have it done out here, and since I'm at 840mi I might as well fork it out the first time, and start doing it myself at 4k. 

3 hours ago, Vex said:

When I start my bike (2018 07) in a driveway, especially after having it off for 20+ min it turns over for about 3 to 5 seconds before it starts. Any slanted hill for that matter. Rumble rumble rumble start is the best way I can describe  almost like its trying to hiccup. Is this common? Is it cuz my gas tank isnt full? Should I take it in under manufacture warranty (will they really be able to identify and stop this from happening?)? Any input and advice is appreciated it's been doing it since I bought the bike new started around 300miles I'd say it happens once a week maybe twice, the delay is never over 5 seconds without turning on, and it'll never do it twice  once I get it on I can turn it off and on 100 times flawless start ups.

After turning the key to the ON position, you are supposed to wait 5 seconds for the fuel pump to prime before pressing the start button.  Just guessing this is the problem?!?

For the $100 you pay a dealer to synch them you could also buy the proper tool to do it yourself. Then you'd be set for life for and bike you may own in the future. Any bike with more than one throttle body will require synching. I know lots of guys will build homemade manometers out of hoses and liquids, and that's totally cool, but by the time you spend that money you're not that far from just buying a rack of gauges. 

Here's what I use. Of course, only two gauges are needed for our twin. Had these about 10 years now with zero issues. $69 currently. May find a better deal elsewhere. I paid over $80 for mine years ago. 

08-030.jpg
WWW.SABER-CYCLE.COM

Love This : Vacuum gauge carburetor synchronizer

2 hours ago, Vex said:

You aren't giving it any throttle when you start it are you, even a little? Fuel injection doesn't like that.

Beemer

28 minutes ago, Beemer said:

You aren't giving it any throttle when you start it are you, even a little? Fuel injection doesn't like that.

No I never give it throttle while starting. Its weird I'm hoping it's the throttle bodies, it doesnt effect my ride qnd has turned on every time so I'm not too worried about it  but still. I called the dealership I bought it at and they said it's fine, just the nature of twins, something to do with 270 degree crank shaft. They said if it ever stops turning all together to bring it in. I may just take it in and see if they will do the throttle bodies for free since I bought the bike there. Yamaha just sent me a letter asking about my dealership experience, so I'll use that as leverage on those money hungry bastards.

• Premium Member

I have noticed 2 different ways people "shut down" the engine...

Some people use the key to kill the bike when it's running

Others like myself use the red thumb button to kill the motor then turn the key off...

Between the 2 ways I noticed either of my bikes will take a few(3-5) extra turns to fire up when I killed the motor via the key...If I kill the motor via the red thumb button then turn the key off- bike fires up almost instantly...

Either way is right... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I haven't noticed anything like that with my '18. One thing I can recommend that was previously mentioned is trying to give the fuel pump a bit more time to prime, always turn my key, wait for my dash to do its startup sequence, and then hit the starter. Bike fires right up. I've never even experienced any issues with it starting in colder weather, even though my garage at my apartment isnt insulated at all. 

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Vex said:

I have a 2017 ABS US model and my driveway has a noticeable slant to it. I regularly start mine up with the rear wheel lower than the front with no noticeable difference than attempting to start it on any other elevation slant orientation.

I'll assume the bike is still under warrantee, perhaps you can get your dealer to check it out.

The owners manual has a detailed Maintenance Schedule list of what checks need to happen at what interval. You'll see the throttle body sync listed there. ✌️

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
5 hours ago, 208MT07 said:

I haven't noticed anything like that with my '18. One thing I can recommend that was previously mentioned is trying to give the fuel pump a bit more time to prime, always turn my key, wait for my dash to do its startup sequence, and then hit the starter. Bike fires right up. I've never even experienced any issues with it starting in colder weather, even though my garage at my apartment isnt insulated at all. 

You might be onto something there.  I have had zero issues with starting my 2016 FZ, but I also make sure that the electronics are fully booted up before I hit the starter button.  My bike lives in an uninsulated shed, and has no problems starting even in extreme cold.

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Vex said:

They said if it ever stops turning all together to bring it in.

I'd say at that time, it's too late.

11 hours ago, Vex said:

I may just take it in and see if they will do the throttle bodies for free since I bought the bike there.

Bring it in and see what they have to say, at least they would be on record.

13 hours ago, minkster said:

After turning the key to the ON position, you are supposed to wait 5 seconds for the fuel pump to prime before pressing the start button.  Just guessing this is the problem?!?

I personally don't time anything with the fuel pump priming, It lets me know when it's ready to go. That's just my procedure, i'm normally trying to get my gloves on before I fire it up.

Alright I figured it out. For the sake of science I did the following today (my day off I was bored):

9am parked bike on a hill, took 3 to 5 seconds to start with 4 gas bars.

10am took my bike in to have throttle bodies adjusted they were 5mm off the bike now idles at 1250, and is up to factory specifications

11am got my bike back after purchasing a gaudy yamaha shirt that says "be fast or be last"

12pm parked my bike near the pool hall on the hill where this problem started for approx 1 hour, started up FIERCLY and better than ever

2pm went to another hill for the sake of science and a lack of productive past times, waited 30min, and yet again started up fiercly, no hesistation whatsoever

Note I let the dash load every time and thought to myself why, why wait

4pm parked on a hill outside of staples while I browsed the expensive laptops and purchased a notebook for a course

Its 434pm and i fired it up before the dash loaded no problems

Syncing the throttle bodies worked like a charm, the throttle response seems beefier and the bike starts like a dream. Booyah.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 5:24 AM, bornagainbiker said:

You might be onto something there.  I have had zero issues with starting my 2016 FZ, but I also make sure that the electronics are fully booted up before I hit the starter button.  My bike lives in an uninsulated shed, and has no problems starting even in extreme cold.

Me thinks you got the runt of the litter, the one that tries extra hard. 😉

Beemer

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
13 minutes ago, Beemer said:

Me thinks you got the runt of the litter, the one that tries extra hard. 😉

It's a Canadian model--they're built for the cold. 

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

Archived