The MT-07 Forum

Anyone here about 5'5 in height?

Giovanni

I'm 5'6" with a 30 inch inseam, and when the bike is loaded down with camping gear, I can flat foot comfortably in my motorcycle boots. When I'm not loaded down, I'm on the balls of my feet, maybe an inch from flat footing. So weight can also be a factor that helps you out, if you plan to put some storage on it (Or weigh more than my 130 pounds).

I'll never understand why bikes built in Asian countries are built for Norwegian legs.

• Like 2

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

• 2 weeks later...
Grant31781

I am 5 8 with a 30 inch inseam. On my stock  2018 MT07 I am flat footed with a little bend in my knees. This is with riding boots.

NikitaUCLA
17 hours ago, Grant31781 said:

I am 5 8 with a 30 inch inseam. On my stock  2018 MT07 I am flat footed with a little bend in my knees. This is with riding boots.

I'm sorry but you are not short.

Grant31781
7 minutes ago, NikitaUCLA said:

I'm sorry but you are not short.

I somehow missed his post with his 28.5 inch inseem . I am short compared to most people I know LOL 

NikitaUCLA
3 hours ago, Grant31781 said:

I somehow missed his post with his 28.5 inch inseem . I am short compared to most people I know LOL 

If you can flat foot and bend at the knees, what are you complaining about? 

• 8 months later...
Werbenjagermanjensen
On 2/9/2019 at 1:20 AM, gregjet said:

Some options to use together or separately .

Lowering link for the rear ( 25 to 35mm rear) https://www.extremecreations.com.au/mt-07-jack-up-plates

Drop the bike down the forks up to 20mm ( depending on bars) in the triple clamps. ( 20mm front)

Fit a 120/60 front tyre, IF you don't have ABS (12mm front)

Get a lower seat pad or shave it. Seat Comcepts make a self constructing lower seat that is very comfortable for some ( me). (

280279785_medium.jpeg?v=1538106458
SEATCONCEPTS.COM

Details:We built up the front of the seat and dished out the rear to eliminate the slope into the tank. We also added...

You will have to shorten your side stand.

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I didn't deem this worthy of starting an entirely new one.

I'm considering a 170/60 for my next rear, to see how I prefer the handling characteristics. To better match the front and rear profiles, if I went with the 170, I figure I may as well give the 120/60 a shot. They do get changed eventually if I don't like them, after all. Now, having an '18 ABS model, I'm curious what you meant by the above comment?

I've read a little on how bigger changes in tire diameter can sometimes affect ABS systems, but nothing mentioning the tire profile having an adverse affect? Just preferring to cover my bases. Thanks.

OK most important first. Changing rolling diameter can effect or disengage SOME types of abs. I don't have ABS on mine, so it wasn't an issue. It wasn't an option or I would have. Some systems refresh everytime you start rolling and recalculates the differential. This type is fine with changing tyre sizes. Some other types are not. I DO NOT KNOW what system the 07 uses.

Having said that the 180/55 and the 170/60 are only 6mm difference in rolling diameter ( when with the same weight deflection).  tyre height 180/55=99mm tyre height 170/60=102mm. That's within tolerence of wear I would think.

Front is harder to tell.  A 120/60 is 72mm high and a 120/70 is 84mm tyre height. That's a dia difference of 12x2 , or 24 mm. If the abs is an absolute system, rather than a reset differential, I suspect it can affect an abs error. That you will have to figure out.

I now have Michie Road Pilot 4 170/60 on the back ( Road 5's aren't made in that size) and the handling is awesome. I still have a little of the front vagueness but definitely feels better planted.  Several changes in one though so isolating the big difference factor is difficult. Overall big improvement though.

• Like 2

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

On 1/25/2019 at 11:13 PM, Giovanni said:

Is there anyone here that's 5'5 and tell me if I will be able to flat foot a 2016 07? I'm buying on next week and believe me I know I should be interested in other things about the bike. But being able to put my feet down is definitely a selling point for me for daily city commute 

NO, you will NOT be able to flat foot your stock height 2016- MT-FZ-07....Assuming you have a normal body type you will not be able to flat foot even if you stand up over the driver's seat. There are lowering appliances available but it appears they are NOT very popular with MT-FZ-07 Yamahas.  

(AND YES to whatever "gregjet" says in above replay as he is informed on suspension, handling, and racing types of issues.)   

Edited by user1

The extreme creations lower/raise link if still made has a -25 and -35 mm lower position. Well made, but you have to instal bearings ( unless they do it for you now.) Worked for my 5'3" girlfriend when we tried it ( I used the +25mm position for me to move the CoG forward). Drop the froks through the Triples 20mm as well. You WILL need a shorter sidestand.

On 1/27/2019 at 2:56 AM, Giovanni said:

I appreciate everyone's input but you're the only one that seems to get me. Ofcourse I can one foot it. Ofcourse I can ball on both feet. I'm looking for the day to day comfort and confidence. I have a drz 400 and when I stop at lights I have to slide on to my thigh to be able to put my foot all the way down. It's just not practical. Yeah once you're on the bike height doesn't matter. But again. It's the daily comfort I'm after. After all if you can flat both feet your chances of dropping the bike come down drastically 

You actually think?    I've been riding mainly tall dual sports over the past 30 years and cannot flat foot on either of them.   I stop and usually have left foot down, about 90% of the time on the ball of my foot, not because I have to, because I have my knee slightly bent rather than straight.  It is more comfortable.  Occasionally I play "the balance game" with both feet out kind of teetering between feet, trying to balance feet off the ground - long traffic lights.    I found even when I could put my feet flat I didn't.   Point?   Never dropped my bikes in normal conditions, only when off road and stop over a really dished low spot or rut.  

Never felt uncomfortable on a bike where I could put the ball of my foot on the ground.  Have felt uncomfortable when the bike is so tall I can't do that - i.e. Honda CRF450L, I can't get it off the side stand, I'd have to lower it a couple inches if I ever did get one.   In commuting, which I did some, traffic wasn't too bad, so it wasn't a problem to try to keep enough space to not always have to stop, keeping rolling a bit.   Stop and go does kind of suck, but mostly because it sucks, not the footing issue.  I often have my left foot skimming the ground in those conditions.

I'm 5'6" with a pants inseam of 30", I think 32" from crotch to ground.   I ride a KLX250S and an XSR700, which is taller than the FZ/MT07 from what I understand, pegs right where my legs are down.  Doesn't bother me so far, doubt it will.  Obviously if it did I'd strop the rear by and inch or two and raise the forks in the triple clamps, to drop a couple inches.  Shouldn't cost too much and could actually be done in conjunction with getting some suspension mods to suit you.   Are there lowering links for the MT/FZ?

12 hours ago, user1 said:

NO, you will NOT be able to flat foot your stock height 2016- MT-FZ-07....Assuming you have a normal body type you will not be able to flat foot even if you stand up over the driver's seat. There are lowering appliances available but it appears they are NOT very popular with MT-FZ-07 Yamahas.  

(AND YES to whatever "gregjet" says in above replay as he is informed on suspension, handling, and racing types of issues.)   

I can understand them not being popular for a majority of the MT/FZ riders, but there are some who would welcome them.   Not everyone is seeking every inch (cm) of clearance for cornering, many have the bike because it is a good buy with a great engine and a look they like.  They won't be testing the turn clearance.

"  Not everyone is seeking every inch (cm) of clearance for cornering, many have the bike because it is a good buy with a great engine and a look they like.  They won't be testing the turn clearance."

This point is VERY valid for this bike. It is quite narrow compared to most transverse inline 4's and light, which tend to be the benchmark of most people's sport bikes. You have to be really pushing it ( and riding like an English motorcycle cop) to get to the edges of the tyres and eat your cornering clearance.

Racing on a track,  you can get your knee on the tarmac and drag the pegs, but this bike can be ridden quite hard without touching down. Even with a -25mm lowering link and the front dropped, you will have to ride without moving on the seat to touch down very often. -35 will be a bit more likely , that's all.

On 1/27/2019 at 8:46 AM, robbo10 said:

Isn't it about time all bikes had adjustable ergos?

Many do.  Handle bars that can be moved forward or backward for better feel, tubular so they can be replaced if not.   Seats can be cut down or padded up.   Levers can be moved to suit.   That takes care of ergonomics.  If one does not understand those possibilities they need to learn about them.   I virtually always have to move bars back and down to suit me, levers up virtually parallel to the ground, where a friend has his at about a 45° toward the ground, both of us having ridden with them that way all our lives.  A friend just bought some pegs for his ZX14 that were lower and a bit further forward - old knees.

Now lowering the bike can be done in small increments with links and raising the tubes in the clamps, more can be done internally with the fork and with a good quality shock, keeping the geometry like a stock bike, losing some ground clearance though.

Now some even have seats that are able to move, like the Gold Wings with seats that could slide forward/back and others that actually have the ability to raise up.

So, really, they've been adjustable for ever.   Just gotta know what to do.   

My point was that "ALL" bikes should have this adjustability - because we come in all manner of shapes and sizes. And I did not mean replacing parts, which happily is easy enough for me to understand, at least. Instead, for example, suspension links with more than one position. Seats that can be moved (as you describe) and saving me having to add pads (as I have done) or shave the seat (thin enough already?), handlebars up/down/fwd/back, and with no nibs preventing turning levers around the bars. My MT came with none of these. 

Just do it! 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, robbo10 said:

My point was that "ALL" bikes should have this adjustability - because we come in all manner of shapes and sizes. And I did not mean replacing parts, which happily is easy enough for me to understand, at least. Instead, for example, suspension links with more than one position. Seats that can be moved (as you describe) and saving me having to add pads (as I have done) or shave the seat (thin enough already?), handlebars up/down/fwd/back, and with no nibs preventing turning levers around the bars. My MT came with none of these. 

I hear what you're saying and I agree. But that would add cost, complexity, and weight. Then we'd just be complaining about that. 😆

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Definitely the MT 07 is too tall for a rider who is 5' to 5' 5" 29" inseam 140 lbs. I was today on a dealer and sat on one and I was hardly tippy toes on the bike.  This was very intimidating because I couldn't walk the bike, I couldn't back it up. 

This means that I could not reach to the red light in between the cars, I may hit a car, drop the bike  or hurt myself, specially if there is a bump, a hole or gravel in the middle of the cars. 

This situation makes it very dangerous even to get into parking lots.

In order to walk the bike one has to be flat footed on the floor. 

I also sat on the Kawasaki Z650 and Suzuki SV650 and it was a totally different story, I was more comfortable since their seat high is 31.1" and 30.9" I could walk them fine. But some how I like more the MT 07.

When I buy it, I'm considering all the options mentioned here to lower it at least 1" 

Edited by John2018

9 minutes ago, John2018 said:

Please delete this.

Edited by John2018
mistake

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

5'8 .... Ive always kept one foot up and can tip toe it to back up.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Am I missing something here??  Im 5'11 with a 30 inch inseam (I know. Short legs) and I can flat foot both sides with an inch above seat on my mt07

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, geophb said:

Am I missing something here??  Im 5'11 with a 30 inch inseam (I know. Short legs) and I can flat foot both sides with an inch above seat on my mt07

You're missing that not everyone has 30in inseam or proportionally longer/shorter femur or some have thicker thighs or wider non-factory seats or sit further back on OEM seat or wear thin soled footwear  or any combination of above that can  limit reach as well. 

I'm same as you though with same inseam and reach without issue even with Corbin saddle. ✌️

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.