The MT-07 Forum

Anyone here about 5'5 in height?

Giovanni

15 hours ago, duenan said:

Referring to your reluctance to just use one foot down and wanting both feet flat footed.  That is something you are imposing on yourself and thus greatly limiting yourself.

You're missing the point. It's not that I can't put one foot down at stops I have a DRZ 400 and it managed just fine. What I want is a comfortable street bike that I can back out of parking spaces with and so on. I'm not imposing anything I just wanted to get an idea of how I will be able to handle the bike

• Like 2

I agree with Giovanni on this. It is a limit, but I don’t think it’s self imposed. Trying to back a bike on a slight down incline sucks when you can’t get good grip. Of course we try to not get into that situation, but that alone is limiting our options at parking. Stopping at a light that has a raised center patch of street because 18 wheelers.... that is sketchy too. Not even mentioning stopping/starting in gravel. 

Giovanni, do a low or shaved seat, lower the rear AND ft of the bike, choose a low seat cruzer... all are options that will place both feet firmly on the ground.

I lowered my Fz 07 and have no issues with putting (almost) both my feet flat on the ground.

Edited by lilneddy
  • Like 1

I'm 5'5", 28.5 inseam.  I can barely touch the balls of my feet with regular shoes on, but my motorcycle boots have an inch and a half heel that allows me to flat foot with them on.  

22 hours ago, Spanglo said:

I'm 5'5", 28.5 inseam.  I can barely touch the balls of my feet with regular shoes on, but my motorcycle boots have an inch and a half heel that allows me to flat foot with them on.  

Which boots and what size are you? 

On 1/31/2019 at 5:05 PM, traast said:

I use these: 

daytona_m_star_gtx_boots.jpg
WWW.REVZILLA.COM

Give yourself a little lift to your leg reach with the M Star Boots. Super comfortable, easy to put on/take off and Gore-Tex waterproofness.

430 dollars??? Bitch is you drunk? 

Some options to use together or separately .

Lowering link for the rear ( 25 to 35mm rear) https://www.extremecreations.com.au/mt-07-jack-up-plates

Drop the bike down the forks up to 20mm ( depending on bars) in the triple clamps. ( 20mm front)

Fit a 120/60 front tyre, IF you don't have ABS (12mm front)

Get a lower seat pad or shave it. Seat Comcepts make a self constructing lower seat that is very comfortable for some ( me). (

280279785_medium.jpeg?v=1538106458
SEATCONCEPTS.COM

Details:We built up the front of the seat and dished out the rear to eliminate the slope into the tank. We also added...

You will have to shorten your side stand.

Edited by gregjet
addition

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Gregjet hit all the lowering aspects.👍

Boots with thick soles or can be added to existing boots.

You're correct about comfort, safety and dropping a bike. And as everyone has mentioned, can be ridden without flat footing, depends upon skill level and terrain.

Shorter riders (me), have a harder time on uneven terrain, bike leans over more before stabilizing with a leg meaning more weight, harder to catch and more tendency to go over all the way and drop.

Took a sharp turn too slow this fall, and too sharp, dumping the bike as it was over a 6" pave edge drop to dirt. And my leg is too short to catch the bike before it's at too sharp a lean angle and 400 lbs starts to get heavy. Tried to hold it up half way leaned over, but just strained my arm trying, it was too heavy and too far gone, had to let her go down.

Bike will react at too sharp a slow turn, shifting the bike weight to the inside faster than expected.

Terrain, visibility, picking a line and skill all play a part.

Taller riders with longer legs balance, catch and hold a bike better and easier is just reality.

Being aware of your terrain and only stopping where it is flat helps. When you have that choice. Sometimes you're forced into no choice and that's the problem.

Drive defensively and aware helps minimize but can't totally eliminate.

I'm 5'6.5" and 30" inseam, only have lowered the front and wear motocross boots. Bikes get dropped by everyone. Minimize the potential and have protection, for you and the bike to reduce the impacts.

Edited by Spitfire
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm 5'5 and I have no problem what so ever with the bike. I commute every day. All I did was soften the rear shock to the lowest setting. I'm also light at 140lbs. I understand your situation. Just get a lowering linkage; it will lower the seat height 1-1.5 inches. All you would need to do is raise the forks up the same amount. You will have to get a handlebar riser.

Don't listen to people saying that you shouldn't do it. First of all, they don't know what it's like to be short, so they don't know jack sheat. 

I just lowered my wife's BMW G310R about two inches. I just test rode it for a couple of days now. I can do everything I need to do riding on the street with no compromise in handling. If I'm willing to let me wife ride the bike with full confidence that the bike is safe, you can do it too. Don't listen to those fools. I have 30 years of riding experience.

Edited by NikitaUCLA

I get you! I shaved seat, changed suspension a bit and got taller boots. Now I am thinking crash cage in case I drop it in gravel, where I have the most problem parking and backing up. Looked into lowering link and it is still a consideration.

Buy the MT-07. Or the mt-09 is actually shorter with a narrower seat, so I can flat foot my hubbies bike. And only weighs 25 lbs more. Good luck!

When I lowered a bike, the sidestand was then too long. It only took 2-3mm grinding to deal with that. Also lowering one end might have affected handling and so I lowered both ends.

Just do it! 

I wouldn't fit a handle bar raiser unless you get flatter bars ( easy enough) as the stock bars raised for someone of your height, will both feel like apehangers AND move your body weight even furthur back, on a bike with a rear weight bias problem as it is. Raisers and a set of Renthal ultralows is a nice alternative though. 

I have lowered MANY bikes for friends and partners with vertical challenges. A lot of warnings are complete crap, some are not. The 07 will take 20/25 mm lowering  with no detectable change in rider feel, except on a track ( side stand notwithstanding) . And 32/25 ( lower profile front tyre as well)  actually will help load the front a bit, especially if you are light, as well as of less length of leg.

Edited by gregjet
spelling

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Go ahead and lower the bike with the linkage and raising the forks up. It's fine. I've done to all of my motorcycles. 

FZ07R WaNaB

For all you USA riders, I just ordered the Extreme Creations lowering link with the bearings and seals installed. I wasn't thinking about the currency exchange, and that turned out to be a happy surprise. Turns out that Australia to the East Coast is $25 AUD, and the total is $273 AUD.....  that turns out to approx. $200 US which includes PayPal's $7 bump for the exchange. Seeing that the bearing and seals are $50 US not installed, that makes the full setup a pretty decent deal, plus Gregjet has been more that satisfied with the quality of those links (they look well made too), so I'm psyched!!!

Edited by FZ07R WaNaB
  • Like 1

FZ07R WaNaB

OK, so I got the Extreme Creations lowering link today. I definitely have a couple thoughts...

This thing is so well made, I don't want to put it on the bike - it's freaking artwork!!!

It's absolutely worth the money as far as the build quality goes. They appeared to do a fine job installing the bearings and seals. I'm looking at the link itself costing $100 (US) with the seals/bearings costing $50, installation of them $25, shipping/handling being $18 and PayPal exchange rate bump being $7. While there is no official breakdown, this seems about right.

The big question will be how well it works. This is a nice perk for resale as it has (4) different height settings, although it likely going to get removed when I eventually sell the bike to be sold separately.

The good news is that it got to me on the East Coast of the US from Australia in (8) days. The weird news is that I had zero communication with the seller Extreme Creations as in absolutely nothing. The only receipt I got was from PayPal, but EC did include installation instructions with the link. Like I said, that was weird, but what the hell, as long as it works well.

It's going to get installed in a couple of weeks, and all let everyone know how that goes.

Edited by FZ07R WaNaB

bartman5impson

A pair of boots with some thick insoles will give you an extra inch of inseam over just tennis shoes. After putting Timberland insoles in my dainese boots I went from only being able to touch the road with the balls of my feet to being able to barely flat foot the bike. Those insoles are much thicker than the ones that came with my boots. If your boots are already snug and don't have laces, the insoles might make them too tight.

Edited by bartman5impson

On 1/29/2019 at 9:26 PM, duenan said:

Referring to your reluctance to just use one foot down and wanting both feet flat footed.  That is something you are imposing on yourself and thus greatly limiting yourself.

Different things are important to different people.  I got a 29" inseam and know where they are coming from.  Try backing up your bike when all you can get down is one foot.  Put pillows between your butt and seat until your there, then try it.  Try that several times and you might just agree in how important it can be.  I just deal with it, I don't like it.  

• Like 1

If it wasn't so hard to remove, I would suggest taking off the seat to manoeuvre more easily. I used to do that with my TDM.

Just do it! 

I have around a 29" inseam and I've always struggled and even made a stupid mistake once where I was perpendicular to a slope and went to put my foot down to find that that my foot was not even close to reaching and I fell over. Got that one burned into my memory so as not to do something so stupid again, but it just proves that one footing it is not always a solution either.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, robbo10 said:

I put my foot into a hole - twice - same hole!! Down we went, both times....

Slow learner? 😋

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.